Can't install GTX 960 drivers

GkC

I've tried everything except for reinstalling Windows 10, I just can't install them to save my life. The GPU gets recognized all the time, works fine, but as soon as I start installing the driver, it stops being recognized, the screen flickers for a sec and it fails to install. Has anyone here ever experienced this, or any advice that isn't reinstalling the OS?

Are you sure it's the latest?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Are you sure it's the latest?

I've tried Geforce Experience, the latest driver on Nvidia, and the one before that just to make sure it wasn't caused by the latest driver.

Just now, GkC said:

I've tried Geforce Experience, the latest driver on Nvidia, and the one before that just to make sure it wasn't caused by the latest driver.

Odd, try uninstalling any previous drivers

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

7 minutes ago, GkC said:

I've tried everything except for reinstalling Windows 10, I just can't install them to save my life. The GPU gets recognized all the time, works fine, but as soon as I start installing the driver, it stops being recognized, the screen flickers for a sec and it fails to install. Has anyone here ever experienced this, or any advice that isn't reinstalling the OS?

has installing the drivers ever worked before?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Odd, try uninstalling any previous drivers

I've done so, upgraded from GT 210 to GTX 960, uninstalled all the drivers pre installing the 960.

Just now, GkC said:

I've done so, upgraded from GT 210 to GTX 960, uninstalled all the drivers pre installing the 960.

OK that's really weird, I'd reinstall windows then

She/they 

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

has installing the drivers ever worked before?

It has when I was updating the GT 210 drivers, like a year ago tho.

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

What's the safest way to do so without having to reinstall all my apps? I know I can keep my files easily, but it'd take literal hours to reinstall all my apps and games.

Just now, GkC said:

What's the safest way to do so without having to reinstall all my apps? I know I can keep my files easily, but it'd take literal hours to reinstall all my apps and games.

Transfer them onto an external drive and then move them back on

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Transfer them onto an external drive and then move them back on

Is there an alternative to doing so without another drive?

1 minute ago, GkC said:

Is there an alternative to doing so without another drive?

Unfortunately no, not really

She/they 

Just now, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Unfortunately no, not really

Gonna nick my brother's HDD for a sec, then, thanks mate.

50 minutes ago, GkC said:

you could delete the driver from reg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

but MAKE A BACKUP before editing.

2 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

1 hour ago, Nolanrulesroblox said:

you could delete the driver from reg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

but MAKE A BACKUP before editing.

Just reinstalled Windows, and it still happens. Gets recognized, flickers, stops being recognized, fails to install.

Have you tried this graphics card in another machine? it also looks like you're using GeForce experience, try the website

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Have you tried this graphics card in another machine? it also looks like you're using GeForce experience, try the website

I haven't, no, but it gets recognized properly pre-and-after trying to install, just not during. Also, I downloaded the separate driver, version 399.24, though it does ask me if I want to install GeForce Experience with it.

6 minutes ago, GkC said:

I haven't, no, but it gets recognized properly pre-and-after trying to install, just not during. Also, I downloaded the separate driver, version 399.24, though it does ask me if I want to install GeForce Experience with it.

In that case, try using GeForce experience instead of the site. They use slightly different install tools.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

In that case, try using GeForce experience instead of the site. They use slightly different install tools.

GF Experience isn't even installing, they're both failing to install. I'm so confused.

1 minute ago, GkC said:

GF Experience isn't even installing, they're both failing to install. I'm so confused.

Get working GeForce card, install GeForce experience, then install drivers for misbehaving graphics card

Primary PC:

52 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Get working GeForce card, install GeForce experience, then install drivers for misbehaving graphics card

Put in my old GT210, and now GF Experience isn't even opening.

6 minutes ago, GkC said:

Put in my old GT210, and now GF Experience isn't even opening.

Aight, downloaded Experience again, still failing to install though.

59 minutes ago, GkC said:

Aight, downloaded Experience again, still failing to install though.

Tried it in another PC yet? Or maybe borrow a 960 that works, then download the drivers, and then put in your own?

Primary PC:

19 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Tried it in another PC yet? Or maybe borrow a 960 that works, then download the drivers, and then put in your own?

Don't have either of those options available to me atm, so that's a problem.

2 minutes ago, GkC said:

Don't have either of those options available to me atm, so that's a problem.

well, I don't exactly recommend ordering another graphics card online to test, so I'd look into using it on a friend's system to see what could be amiss. You did say you had your brother's system

Primary PC: