Is it worth it to get a oculus rift this black friday?

I was wondering if it is a good idea to buy a rift (or maybe a vive) this black friday? Would there be a good deal on eather headset and is there going to be another PC rift (not standalone) headset any time soon? Thanks in advance for the responses.

1 minute ago, RyRyJS said:

Would there be a good deal on eather headset

hang on, let me go get my crystal ball and ingredients required for the rirtual..

joking aside.. and being blatantly honest.. if you need a black friday sale for a VR headset, you do not have the budget for a VR setup.

Just now, manikyath said:

hang on, let me go get my crystal ball and ingredients required for the rirtual..

joking aside.. and being blatantly honest.. if you need a black friday sale for a VR headset, you do not have the budget for a VR setup.

just because I try to save money like a normal person doesn't mean I don't have the budget for vr. I have a gtx 1080 (that's enough for vr)

1 minute ago, RyRyJS said:

just because I try to save money like a normal person doesn't mean I don't have the budget for vr. I have a gtx 1080 (that's enough for vr)

but if you try to save money.. its honestly not the time to buy into VR, for the 5 games that may potentially be a fun VR experience, the amount of setup required, and the relatively limited amount of time you'll spend playing VR.. the budget sensible option is to sit on ass for a while longer until the technology matures.

5 minutes ago, RyRyJS said:

Even at black friday discount, price isn't worth the fun.... for now, and when the price will be worth the fun we will have totaly new generation of vr headsets

Quote me so I can reply <3

Oculus is holding their annual conference next week, probably worth keeping an eye on. Depending on how much they show of their next-gen PC VR prototype, it could be a good hint of how long we'll have to wait for their next gen headset (for PC).

If you're looking at alternatives then WMR is cheap and Pimax is finally getting there with their headsets. A bunch of reviews of their "8K" and "5K" headsets went up just recently.

The plain Vive is kind of meh at this point, while the Vive Pro is just too expensive to make sense (though you never know with Black Friday sales).

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Oculus is holding their annual conference next week, probably worth keeping an eye on. Depending on how much they show of their next-gen PC VR prototype, it could be a good hint of how long we'll have to wait for their next gen headset (for PC).

If you're looking at alternatives then WMR is cheap and Pimax is finally getting there with their headsets. A bunch of reviews of their "8K" and "5K" headsets went up just recently.

The plain Vive is kind of meh at this point, while the Vive Pro is just too expensive to make sense (though you never know with Black Friday sales).

what do you think of the current gen oculus rift?

Just now, RyRyJS said:

The HTC Vive is significantly better

1 minute ago, AshKetchup said:

in tracking but rift has comfortableness and better controllers.

2 minutes ago, RyRyJS said:

Honestly, I think that VR has practical purposes even in its' infancy, but it's not ready for primetime. Current VR tech is useful for experiences such as "being in the ocean" at a museum, or for allowing someone in a wheelchair to experience downhill skiing, for example, but we're a long way from a mature VR environment outside of tech demos. Because of this, I wouldn't buy a Rift or Vive in their current form, even at half price. (Not because I don't think they're a sweet deal at half price, but because the tech isn't ready yet.)

Don't get me wrong or take this the wrong way; I want to see VR improve same as I want 4K gaming to be a thing, but the reality is that we're just not there yet with the current price to performance of our current tech for the average consumer. Sure, a GTX 1080 Ti can run games at 4K or in VR, but not at the same buttery smooth framerates we once strived for back when getting 120 FPS was common in the late 2000's / early 2010's.

Just like 3D movie technology, I'd say that VR needs longer time to catch on at an affordable rate for mainstream users before we're going to see a decent game library. On the flipside, it's also possible that VR will go the way of 3D movies, and simply fizzle out. Only time will tell.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

If you can get it $500 or below, it can be worth it. Watch a little bit of Achievement Hunter's "VR the Champions" playlist on YouTube for an idea of what games are like.

22 minutes ago, AshKetchup said:

Having extensive experience with both, the Vive is worse overall.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

33 minutes ago, RyRyJS said:

It's the best mid-range VR headset. I'm enjoying mine.

25 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Honestly, I think that VR has practical purposes even in its' infancy, but it's not ready for primetime. Current VR tech is useful for experiences such as "being in the ocean" at a museum, or for allowing someone in a wheelchair to experience downhill skiing, for example, but we're a long way from a mature VR environment outside of tech demos. Because of this, I wouldn't buy a Rift or Vive in their current form, even at half price. (Not because I don't think they're a sweet deal at half price, but because the tech isn't ready yet.)

Don't get me wrong or take this the wrong way; I want to see VR improve same as I want 4K gaming to be a thing, but the reality is that we're just not there yet with the current price to performance of our current tech for the average consumer. Sure, a GTX 1080 Ti can run games at 4K or in VR, but not at the same buttery smooth framerates we once strived for back when getting 120 FPS was common in the late 2000's / early 2010's.

Just like 3D movie technology, I'd say that VR needs longer time to catch on at an affordable rate for mainstream users before we're going to see a decent game library. On the flipside, it's also possible that VR will go the way of 3D movies, and simply fizzle out. Only time will tell.

This is just wrong. There are plenty of games that are not just tech demos.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

If you can get it $500 or below, it can be worth it. Watch a little bit of Achievement Hunter's "VR the Champions" playlist on YouTube for an idea of what games are like.

Having extensive experience with both, the Vive is worse overall.

$500? The MSRP is $400... and it's been on sale for less.

Just now, Sakkura said:

There's not that many that are good.

Though, VR tech demos can be alot more fun than many fleshed out non VR games. Robo Recall being a really fun one.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

$500? The MSRP is $400... and it's been on sale for less

Last I've heard was that Oculus was doing a Summer of VR sale on headsets, not an actual permanent price reduction. Kinda assumed that they were clearing stock and might be preparing to release a new headset.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It's the best mid-range VR headset. I'm enjoying mine.

Thanks for the advice, I'm probably going to get one. also, do you think there is going to be a new oculus PC HMD anytime in the next year? (I know there is going to be a standalone headset at oculus connect 5)

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

There's not that many that are good.

Though, VR tech demos can be alot more fun than many fleshed out non VR games. Robo Recall being a really fun one.

Skyrim, Windlands, Windlands 2, Hellblade, Redout, Talos Principle, VTOL, Ultrawings, Beat Saber, Moss, Torn, Apex Construct, Lone Echo + Echo VR, Sairento, Brass Tactics, Sprint Vector, Xing, Rez Infinite, Thumper, The Mage's Tale, Robo Recall, Arizona Sunshine, Superhot, Fantastic Contraption, The Climb, Dead & Buried...

No, Robo Recall is not just a tech demo. It's just a short game.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Last I've heard was that Oculus was doing a Summer of VR sale on headsets, not an actual permanent price reduction. Kinda assumed that they were clearing stock and might be preparing to release a new headset.

The regular MSRP has been $399 for a year now... and there have been sales at $350 at least a few times.

Just now, RyRyJS said:

Thanks for the advice, I'm probably going to get one. also, do you think there is going to be a new oculus PC HMD anytime in the next year? (I know there is going to be a standalone headset at oculus connect 5)

Hard to say. I don't think there'll be one within ~6 months, but a year from now I dunno.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Robo Recall is not just a tech demo. It's just a short game.

I can't call it anything more than a tech demo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I can't call it anything more than a tech demo.

Bullet Train was a tech demo. Then they took that tech and fleshed it out into a game: Robo Recall.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Bullet Train was a tech demo. Then they took that tech and fleshed it out into a game: Robo Recall.

Having played both, I cannot call Robo Recall anything more than a tech demo in good faith.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Having played both, I cannot call Robo Recall anything more than a tech demo in good faith.

It has so many elements a tech demo wouldn't. Otherwise it would be the same as Bullet Train.

55 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I never said there weren't games available, so not sure what's wrong about this. All that was mentioned is that "we're a long way from a mature VR environment outside of tech demos" meaning that while there certainly are games available that do make good use of VR, the technology itself has a lot of growing pains to overcome, mostly in cost to performance, and actual real-world performance limits themselves.

However, this varies from person to person, since everyone has a slightly different expectation when it comes to emerging technology, or really, anything in the world. For example, I don't really feel immersed at all when shooting a "gun" in VR unless I can hold a gun shaped object, which neither the Oculous nor Vive's controller resemble at all. People who aren't me may be totally 100% OK with this, and still enjoy the game for what it is.

What I'm saying is that what one person expects from VR may not be close to what another person expects, so VR just isn't ready yet for some people, and that's totally OK. The gaming side of VR will get there in due time, along with the more-important ways in which VR can assist humans with IRL tasks.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

It has so many elements a tech demo wouldn't. Otherwise it would be the same as Bullet Train.

I was just wondering how bad is the light bleeding on the oculus? I heard people say its pretty bad.

Presuming you tried VR & like it, I say the sale is worth it. I haven’t tried oculus with all the sensors so I can’t properly comment on it. 

However i tried the vive & it’s really good fun. Too bad they’re like 800 dollars RN. 

Maybe your local store might have a demo or you can find out when/where one is.