Small formfactor power supply?

Hi i need a as small as possible form factor power supply for a desktop pc. It should at least provide 300W. Any recommendations? Want to build a portable desktop.

Look up some sfx power supplies. They don't come cheap though 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, CoinDuckling369 said:

That's awesome! But would it be sufficient for an am4 r3 chip with a gtx 970 graphics card? I mean... this rig would probably not exceed 300w but still...

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Look up some sfx power supplies. They don't come cheap though 

not cheap? $40 seems pretty reasonable for me...

6 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

That's awesome! But would it be sufficient for an am4 r3 chip with a gtx 970 graphics card? I mean... this rig would probably not exceed 300w but still...

Which Ryzen 3 chip

How much ram

HDD / SSD?

@Allptraum1989

5 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

not cheap? $40 seems pretty reasonable for me...

Last I recall, the cheapest good one I could find was $40 for 300W, not much. But if it fits your use case it's probably perfect

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, CoinDuckling369 said:

Which Ryzen 3 chip

How much ram

HDD / SSD?

8gb ddr4 2666 and definitely an ssd. why would i build a portable pc with an hdd? that shit would break after a rough pothole xD maybe even an nvme... wouldn't make that much of a power difference regarding the power supply i think...

ryzen 1300x

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Last I recall, the cheapest good one I could find was $40 for 300W, not much. But if it fits your use case it's probably perfect

call me crazy but the reason i need small formfactor parts is because i want to build the whole system into a suitcase. bottom half the rig, top half a laptop screen with a display driver. but it would need wallpower ofc

2 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

8gb ddr4 2666 and definitely an ssd. why would i build a portable pc with an hdd? that shit would break after a rough pothole xD maybe even an nvme... wouldn't make that much of a power difference regarding the power supply i think...

ryzen 1300x

i did a lookup of the specs and it looks like you need some more wattage,

image.png.309c2981cfad48797c2903ff90935f42.png

I think you need to look at a SFX PSU, and if you really need the space you should open the psu and put the components in your case

Just now, CoinDuckling369 said:

i did a lookup of the specs and it looks like you need some more wattage,

image.png.309c2981cfad48797c2903ff90935f42.png

I think you need to look at a SFX PSU, and if you really need the space you should open the psu and put the components in your case

PSU calculators are useless and overestimate by a ton. With a 970, they'll draw about 200W under load. 

:)

1 minute ago, Zagna said:

For a suitcase, how about Flex-ATX, Silverstone FX350-G?

that'd be great, but $80 is kinda out of the price range of a psu for me. i'd rather go with CoinDucklings approach of opening up the psu. the suitcase would have a pretty good airflow anyways... and yes, i know of the dangers and that it even holds charge after being unplugged

Pico PSUs take in 12V DC, so you'll need an external power brick to get that 12V. SFX PSUs convert AC-DC, so you won't need an external power brick. Which one is better for your usecase, you will have to decide. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Pico PSUs take in 12V DC, so you'll need an external power brick to get that 12V. SFX PSUs convert AC-DC, so you won't need an external power brick. Which one is better for your usecase, you will have to decide. 

external powerbricks are not really good for my usecase since the cable has to fit in some compartment in the suitcase alongside a roll-up keyboard and a mouse 

1 minute ago, AshKetchup said:

Wrong

Here's what an overclocked 4960X and a 1080 Ti actually draws under load. This is the wall power draw with an AX1200i, so the DC draw is about 370W.

Spoiler

85968.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

And here's what the PSU calculator recommends in terms of wattage: 604W.

https://outervision.com/b/5N81pz

For the PSU, it recommends the GQ 850W, which is complete nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

external powerbricks are not really good for my usecase since the cable has to fit in some compartment in the suitcase alongside a roll-up keyboard and a mouse 

Then you have to get an SFX or Flex ATX PSU. Those are expensive, and can easily get up to $100, unless you get a garbage one.