Ran out of space on my 128GB SSD... how to clean it up?

SenorKiwi

Hi there,

I have ran out of space on my 128GB SSD.

I do not understand why because I keep almost all files on another hard drive (and maybe 2GB worth on the SSD).

Any tips on fixing this and saving about 10GB? I currently have 2GB left and am quite sure there will be areas where I can free it up (besides programs and normal user files)?

Would appreciate any tips!

Best,

Oli

Uninstall any programs you don't need (Check Add/Remove programs for stuff you don't use)

Empty recycle bin
Clear browser cache
Check to see if there are any files that can be moved to the HDD (such as photos, movies, music, games, etc)

Buy a new, larger capacity SSD

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Uninstall any programs you don't need (Check Add/Remove programs for stuff you don't use)

Empty recycle bin
Clear browser cache
Check to see if there are any files that can be moved to the HDD (such as photos, movies, music, games, etc)

Buy a new, larger capacity SSD

Thank you - clearing browser cache will likely help 

Just now, TheKiwiColonel said:

Yeah, or alternatively have someone advice on where the easiest places are to remove about 10GB of files. Since surely there is some junk programs somewhere or something causing this large use of space.

You do realize that people can't magically know what you have or don't have on your SSD? It's your job to know what you have, not anyone else's. That said, one of the easiest things you can try is to open Explorer, right-click on C:, then select Properties and from there Disk Cleanup -- do remember to click on the option to clean up system files and remove all old Windows-installations and backup-files.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

You do realize that people can't magically know what you have or don't have on your SSD? It's your job to know what you have, not anyone else's. That said, one of the easiest things you can try is to open Explorer, right-click on C:, then select Properties and from there Disk Cleanup -- do remember to click on the option to clean up system files and remove all old Windows-installations and backup-files.

I do realize, but I am asking in case anyone has any things, such as clearing browser cache, or Disk cleanup that I may not have thought of. Is that really a problem to ask? 

@TheKiwiColonel

I don't want to offend you by any means but just checking your files and see what you don't use then deleting them is the only way of cleaning space. If your OS is installed on your SSD, you can delete everything from TEMP folder (Windows button + R and type %temp%) ((Windows may not let you delete everything but that's okay!))

Other tip is to install CCleaner and run some scan/delete. Be sure to uncheck your browser cookies deletion if you don't want to lose saved logged accounts or passwords.

Just now, voiha said:

@TheKiwiColonel

I don't want to offend you by any means but just checking your files and see what you don't use then deleting them is the only way of cleaning space. If your OS is installed on your SSD, you can delete everything from TEMP folder (Windows button + R and type %temp%) ((Windows may not let you delete everything but that's okay!))

Other tip is to install CCleaner and run some scan/delete. Be sure to uncheck your browser cookies deletion if you don't want to lose saved logged accounts or passwords.

I've checked through the programs and normal files, yes, looking for other options. Wil try CCleaner, thanks. 

1 minute ago, Crunken said:

Download windirstat (https://windirstat.net/) and you can visually see what is taking up space, makes it easier and you don't have to go trough a million different folders to see what's taking up space

appreciate it 

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

I do realize, but I am asking in case anyone has any things, such as clearing browser cache, or Disk cleanup that I may not have thought of. Is that really a problem to ask? 

It's the " Since surely there is some junk programs somewhere or something causing this large use of space. " - part that I was objecting to: only you can know the answer to that, no one else. We can only offer some very generic suggestions, which may or may not help you enough. But I'd try Disk Cleanup first, Windows has a tendency of keeping tens of gigabytes of old installation-files for the major updates around and if you haven't cleaned those up before, that might just be enough.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

It's the " Since surely there is some junk programs somewhere or something causing this large use of space. " - part that I was objecting to: only you can know the answer to that, no one else. We can only offer some very generic suggestions, which may or may not help you enough. But I'd try Disk Cleanup first, Windows has a tendency of keeping tens of gigabytes of old installation-files for the major updates around and if you haven't cleaned those up before, that might just be enough.

yes I understand what you were referring to now - thanks for clarifying. I modified the initial post since that sounds like I haven't tried anything. 

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I have found that CSGO is the main problem. I previously installed it on my hard drive, but I must have accidentally left it on the SSD as well. Is simply deleting the steam "CSGO" folder fine, or will that mess things up? 

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

it's going to be tough because here personally my program files (including steam) total 97GB ._. if you have programs and tools you haven't been using and you don't intend to use then definitely uninstall them.

Thank you for the advice - yes, I have found the culprit which was CSGO which I don't use at the moment. I have CSGO installed in my hard drive too, but for some reason from when I had it on my SSD it is still there. If I delete the folder under "common", will it mess anything up or be totally fine? (I can't uninstall it through steam launcher because that uninstalls the hard drive one)

I don't know why no one has recommended the built in windows storage manager.

If you have windows 10 go to:

1) Settings

2) System

3) Storage

4) Click on the drive you want to see the statistics of

5) You get this view:

6) Now from there you can click into each category, to see even more indepth look on things. For example click into programs, and you will see how much each program uses.

step 6.PNG

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Thank you for the advice - yes, I have found the culprit which was CSGO which I don't use at the moment. I have CSGO installed in my hard drive too, but for some reason from when I had it on my SSD it is still there. If I delete the folder under "common", will it mess anything up or be totally fine? (I can't uninstall it through steam launcher because that uninstalls the hard drive one)

Yeah just delete it.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Thank you everyone for your help. Lots of useful tools for the future. That windirstat was perfect and found CSGO as the problem instantly. 15GB less now - perfect! 

Thank you all and have a great day!