Is this a normal level of IPS glow/blb?

Kywim

Hello!

I've just got my new XB271HU IPS monitor, and it's damn fine, no dead pixel, no ghosting, no issues at 165hz, just a bit of backlight bleed/IPS glow...

This is how it looks like (see attachement). Don't forget that camera makes it worse, and also that this is taken in a dark room at 50% brightness, when my lights are on (they usually are, unless I watch movies), it's a lot less noticeable, but still noticeable if I'm looking for it.

In daily usage it's not that bad, but I'm just a bit sad that dark images look "washed out" (greyish borders instead of a perfect black). 

I'll try to forget about it and get used to it. I don't really want to deal with 2 or 3 replacements until I get a decent one, but I'd like to get your input on this. Do you think this is above normal ? 

Thanks

88l61iA.jpg

that seems like a lot to me.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

11 minutes ago, Kywim said:

88l61iA.jpg

That seems like a pretty heavy amount of glow. I'm not sure how much worse the camera makes it, but it seems worse than normal.

If you don't notice it a ton in person, then it's fine.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I still notice it, but I don't know if I want to go through a RMA just for that (The panel was sold & shipped by amazon)

My main concern is that the replacement unit will have same or worse blb, or dead pixels, or another issues. I got lucky to have no other issue that this blb. Really sad :/

Also, I don't think Amazon does cross shipping, so I'd probably  have to send the old one first, and spend 2 weeks without a monitor. I can live with that (I kept my old one), but still, that'd bother me a lot just for that thing.

Edit:

This is barely noticeable with the naked eye. The thing bothering me is the orange-ish light in the top & bottom right corners. It disappears when I look from another angle, could it be IPS glow?

14 minutes ago, Kywim said:

I still notice it, but I don't know if I want to go through a RMA just for that (The panel was sold & shipped by amazon)

My main concern is that the replacement unit will have same or worse blb, or dead pixels, or another issues. I got lucky to have no other issue that this blb. Really sad :/

Also, I don't think Amazon does cross shipping, so I'd probably  have to send the old one first, and spend 2 weeks without a monitor. I can live with that (I kept my old one), but still, that'd bother me a lot just for that thing.

Edit:

This is barely noticeable with the naked eye. The thing bothering me is the orange-ish light in the top & bottom right corners. It disappears when I look from another angle, could it be IPS glow?

Amazon has pretty easy return service and you deserve to have something in 100% perfect condition if it's advertised as such. Based on the original image, that's an absurd amount of glow. I imagine you would get frequent headaches using that at night.

I would definitely return it sooner than later! You're certainly more likely to get a new one in perfect condition than another defective one.

Why would you have to wait two weeks? Amazon is usually pretty quick with that kind of thing.

Honestly, I'd probably RMA it. That looks a bit excessive to me. Contact Amazon and see what they can do for you. They're extremely helpful.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It’s not that bad, the picture makes it look worse. The thing bothering me the most is the fact that blacks a grey-ish in the upper/lower right corners. It only appears at certain angles but damn it’s annoying.

I still got time to decide if I want to keep it, but if I do end up doing a RMA, does amazon cross ship? If they do I might as well do it since it won’t cost me anything, but if they don’t that’s another story.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Why would you have to wait two weeks? Amazon is usually pretty quick with that kind of thing.

Honestly, I'd probably RMA it. That looks a bit excessive to me. Contact Amazon and see what they can do for you. They're extremely helpful.

About 3 working days for shipping it back, probably 2 or 3 more for them to ship the new one, and 3 more for delivery. Unless they cross ship ofc

Just as a kind of follow up, I asked amazon about it: They apologized and said that they immediatly ordered a replacement monitor which is coming on Thursday. I have 30 days to ship the old one back, and they said that if the issue persists on the second monitor they'll refund my purchase entirely and "investigate" the item. Really cool of them, fingers crossed that the next one will be perfect!

I really love this monitor, it's just the backlight bleed that bothers me, but if the issue still persists I might make the sacrifice of going TN just to have less issues. (Probably a 240hz 1080p then)

Yay, the replacement arrived.. and it's kind of the same thing. 27 & 40 brightness here. But the glow seems less noticeable from a distance.

I'll ship the old one back over the weekend and just decide if I can support it over the next week. If i just can't I'll ask amazon for another replacement, or maybe a full refund.

It's really a shame. I like this monitor a lot.

IMG-0974.JPG

IMG-0973.JPG

Here is a video so you can judge better. 

I'll wait for this RMA process to be finished then decide if I want to keep it or not. judg