high end PC goes crazy once in a while (HELP!)

Every once in a while, like every 3 weeks or so, my PC starts this extreme lag, where chrome pages won't load instantly, where I start a movie and I gotta wait for VLC player to pop up for like 7 seconds, and I open task manager and I gotta wait the same amount of time. Sometimes the lag is unbearable. When I restart the PC even the screen where I gotta type my windows password shows up incredibly slow after pressing enter. 

I'm not sure what to do, but checking task manager I had high CPU usage multiple times, and the WMI Provider host used like 20-30% of my CPU. I searched on google for hotfixes and it always got fixed but only for a period of time. Today I got this lag again, didn't know what it is, checked it, and the Client Server Runtime Process had high cpu usage, and the CAM software didn't show any temps, hz or anything which never happened. Now like 10 minutes passed as I wrote this, and CAM is actually working right now, and CPU usage is jumping between 7% and 35% and temps are between 38-50 when just browsing. Lag is still there and I'm not sure why, and what I can do about it, but it's getting pretty annoying after spending so much money on my PC. Does it have to do anything with the cheap windows key bought from ebay? It worked like a charm though and it's linked to my microsoft account.

I also reinstalled windows like 2 months ago, couple times, not just once (not because of this issue), but the issue is still here. Should I reinstall windows again?

Specs:

-i7 8700k , overclocked to 4.7ghz from motherboard

-strix z370-f 

-aorus 1080

-16gb ddr4 3200mhz

-kraken x62

-250gb ssd (windows and softwares)

-2tb hdd (movies and games)

Run a memory stability test, the slow launches look like bad memory access

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

I also reinstalled windows like 2 months ago, couple times, not just once (not because of this issue), but the issue is still here. Should I reinstall windows again?

Sure, reinstall Windows at least 14 times then made clean install 6 times. And that magically resolves all your problems.

No, seriously, don't do it. It may be even worse if you format and install system again and again on the same ssd. Find a problem - it may be related to sata cable, some hard drive that is faulty, even some usb device that slows down your computer. Try to unplug second hdd if this happen again (you may do it even when system is working as long as it's not system drive - unplug just sata cable, not power), unplug usb mouse/keyboard/whatever. Check what really happens. Of course if you want to know. Detect problem, resolve problem. Windows itself is not a problem here, something else is. And you destroy evidences (event vierwer etc) every time you install Windows again.

Run a full AV and antimalware scan, just to make sure it's not some malicious program running on your system. It almost sounds like you caught a miner.

14 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

Does it have to do anything with the cheap windows key bought from ebay?

No, a key either works or it doesn't. It doesn't affect your system's performance.

15 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

Did you have this problem before reinstalling it the last time? Try booting into safe mode and check if it still happens.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Run a full AV and antimalware scan, just to make sure it's not some malicious program running on your system. It almost sounds like you caught a miner.

It may be a reason too, but it may be also misleading. For example - antimalware found something (it may be even false positive), then after delete bad files computer still will have problem. Then our friend may think that "virus destroy my operating system and is not possible to repair it" and made another useless reinstall. And if problem is hardware related - the faster it will be detected, the better for hardware.

Run memtest86 so that you can see if there's something wrong with your ram. Do a quick run of ADWCleaner, see if there's any PuP's or other crap on there, if there is just let it clean what it's found. Boot AVG live from USB, run a scan, let it clean whatever it detects (hey you can never be too safe). Defrag your HDD, run disk cleanup on your HDD. Trim your SSD (I don't mean get a razor and razor it). Remove any overclocks too, if you're using XMP put the ram speed down to a normal speed for DDR4 and try test stability then. I know it sounds a bit paranoid doing all those things but it's always good to try different things to try solve your problems.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

Guys, please. Detect problems from less problematic and time consuming (sata/usb devices) to the most (memtest, scan whole system). And skip completely not related (disk defrag). Also - what is the point of repeating someone else advices? Unless of course you don't read them.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Guys, please. Detect problems from less problematic and time consuming (sata/usb devices) to the most (memtest, scan whole system). And skip completely not related (disk defrag). Also - what is the point of repeating someone else advices? Unless of course you don't read them.

I was just on a thread where a guy was asked his budget by 4 people in a row. This is just how the forum operates I guess

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It may be a reason too, but it may be also misleading. For example - antimalware found something (it may be even false positive), then after delete bad files computer still will have problem. Then our friend may think that "virus destroy my operating system and is not possible to repair it" and made another useless reinstall. And if problem is hardware related - the faster it will be detected, the better for hardware.

...sure, but if the problem is a malware then it's better to find out right away than spend hours troubleshooting hardware.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Technically defragging your HDD isn't unrelated. If your HDD is fragmented and you're trying to load stuff from the HDD it's gonna access that stuff slower. A defragmented HDD always takes less time to load stuff. Also stop moaning about people repeating stuff, don't you realise some people don't have the time to read through every last comment to ensure what they're going to say hasn't been repeated by somebody else. Everyone here is trying to help, stop whining just because others offer the same solution.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

this maybe a software issue, i don't think this got anything to do with hardware.

you may:

- have a virus / worm

- infected browser

- opening a webpage that hijack the cpu, eg. webminers

- have a keylogger

got nothing to do with cheap windows keys, their just serialkeys, where you donwload the windows is more important.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

this maybe a software issue, i don't think this got anything to do with hardware.

you may:

- have a virus / worm

- infected browser

- opening a webpage that hijack the cpu, eg. webminers

- have a keylogger

got nothing to do with cheap windows keys, their just serialkeys, where you donwload the windows is more important.

oh no don't say that, multiple people have already suggested this. homeap5 doesn't like it when we don't take the time to read every individual comment to ensure anything we diagnose/recommend hasn't already been said.

1 minute ago, xriqn said:

Technically defragging your HDD isn't unrelated. If your HDD is fragmented and you're trying to load stuff from the HDD it's gonna access that stuff slower. A defragmented HDD always takes less time to load stuff. Also stop moaning about people repeating stuff, don't you realise some people don't have the time to read through every last comment to ensure what they're going to say hasn't been repeated by somebody else. Be grateful people are trying to help you.

If you have no time, then nobody forces you to help. Save your time. It's polite when you try to read what people wrote. Otherwise it's bad, because you assume that other people are stupid and you're for sure the only person who knows the answer.

Damn, you don't even read first post with system spec where guy wrote that he has system on SSD.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If you have no time, then nobody forces you to help. Save your time. It's polite when you try to read what people wrote. Otherwise it's bad, because you assume that other people are stupid and you're for sure the only person who knows the answer.

Damn, you don't even read first post with system spec where guy wrote that he has system on SSD.

He also has a HDD and he's trying to load movies from that HDD. You say about people not reading stuff? Go do some reading yourself. I do not have time to read every little detail of every post, clearly you do. I'm only trying to help the OP, just like everyone else here is. Now stop being an a**hole just because I didn't read every tiny detail of every comment on here and go back to trying to help this person rather than whining because I said something that may have already been said.

2 minutes ago, xriqn said:

oh no don't say that, multiple people have already suggested this. The OP doesn't like it when we don't take the time to read every individual comment to ensure anything we diagnose/recommend hasn't already been said.

okay, say it was a hardware failure, i would say he doesn't have enough space left on the ssd.

i would reinstall windows on a completely new drive and then investigate from there.

if it run fine, then the problem is not hardware.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Guys, I just did this again, and it fixed the problem. But I guess it's only for a period of time, like always. Never know when it's gonna come back. And it would really help if I know what does this, to remove it completely.

https://appuals.com/wmi-provider-host-wmiprvse-exe-high-cpu-usage-on-windows-10/

I have Malwarebytes installed, and looks like I don't have a malware.

4 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

Guys, I just did this again, and it fixed the problem. But I guess it's only for a period of time, like always. Never know when it's gonna come back. And it would really help if I know what does this, to remove it completely.

How can we know what causes the problem if you reinstall Windows every time without even try to investigate what is wrong?

It's probably something that you insalled every time after every installation. It may be even antivirus software.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

How can we know what causes the problem if you reinstall Windows every time without even try to investigate what is wrong?

It's probably something that you insalled every time after every installation. It may be even antivirus software.

Hey, stop. Somebody else already said it might be something they installed. You didn't read through everyone else's posts did you? 

/s/

That's what I say when I apply your logic to this post.

17 minutes ago, xriqn said:

Hey, stop. Somebody else already said it might be something they installed. You didn't read through everyone else's posts did you? 

/s/

That's what I say when I apply your logic to this post.

OK, Mr Defrag.

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Alright chill, that's why I asked the forum what I should do.

so should I run this memtest86?

Probably not if everything works. But install your software carefully. As I said - it may be even AV that you install every time.

25 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

so should I run this memtest86?

it's worth a try but expect to wait a while.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Probably not if everything works. But install your software carefully. As I said - it may be even AV that you install every time.

im using bitdefender

2 hours ago, xriqn said:

it's worth a try but expect to wait a while.

wait for what exactly?