Low overlay temps with overheating GPU ?

Bretchen

Conundrum: I have 2 identical brand-new GTX1070 graphics cards. Both work well during normal gameplay, but one of them crashes after just 10-20 minutes of hi-intense 1080P gaming. The screen suddenly goes black and says "No Signal", while the GPU fans surge to 100% and beyond. The game and OS audio continues for a short while until the system hangs and I have to reboot. To me, it seemed a lot like the one GPU was overheating while the other was happy gaming forever. The weird thing is they both report low/cool temps on the overlay.

Changing PSU, RAM, SSD, and eve re-installing windows 10 had no effect.

I took the bad GPU apart and, while I'm no expert, found the heatsink to come apart far too easily (literally just fell off) and it broke one of the fan blades (DOH! my first klumsy-oopsie ever I swear) and the thermal paste feeling rather dry. If this was a case of bad factory thermal paste, why did the overlay report cool temps right up until the GPU crashed ? Could there be another issue I haven't considered ?

GTX1070 DUAL x2.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Bretchen said:

The weird thing is they both report low/cool temps on the overlay

Then it wasn't overheating and you essentially broke the gpu for no reason. Could have very easily been returned prior to destroying it

Yeah I know it was dumb of me but the RMA would have taken up to 6 months with shipping billed to me, so I got impatient and creative.

Anyway, I have a replacement fan blade enroute for just $20 and I'll put good thermal paste on when I put it back together. I was hoping that someone here could give me some tips on what else could be wrong with this particular card ?

Defective GPU, defective memory, defective part in VRM, or any combo of the above.

Post application long shelf life TIM is dry-ish/wax-like.

13 minutes ago, Bretchen said:

Changing PSU, RAM, SSD, and eve re-installing windows 10 had no effect.

We would have told you to rma it at this point.

if you ever get the gpu back together and replace the paste and that doesn't fix it then you may be out of options.

if the cooler juse fall off, it could be the screws either breaking (maybe low quality causing them to shatter?) or not even there.

As for the reason of shut down, it could be other components being overloaded and/or overheated. You cant monitor those in software, but some cards do have protections built into them for these scenarios.

For the paste, that's normal. These paste only care about lasting long and being cheap, one way to achieve this is to use solvent that evapourates more slowly. That usually means the paste is less fluid and more solid.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

if the cooler juse fall off, it could be the screws either breaking (maybe low quality causing them to shatter?) or not even there.

As for the reason of shut down, it could be other components being overloaded and/or overheated. You cant monitor those in software, but some cards do have protections built into them for these scenarios.

For the paste, that's normal. These paste only care about lasting long and being cheap, one way to achieve this is to use solvent that evapourates more slowly. That usually means the paste is less fluid and more solid.

I think OP was expecting the heatsink to be somewhat stuck to the card after removing the screws.