Looking for a monitor from within the UK

ljeo332

So my dad straight up told me today that he wants to get me a new monitor for my birthday, and I'm looking forward to getting it, but I'm having trouble in choosing what I want since I'm not too familiar with monitor buying, but I do know the basics I want:

• A 27" Display at least
  • 1440p res at least
  • 120Hz or above refresh rate
  • at least 2 input ports
  • sound, somewhat decent till I can get dedicated speakers for myself
  • good colour accuracy so I can do some photo editing, or at least can be colour calibrated with my dad's spyder thingy

Currently, I am looking at the following:

• ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q

• HP OMEN Quad HD 27" LED

• ACER Predator XB271HUA Quad HD

But I don't know which one to get, or which one is the best for gaming n such, so I would ask the community for recommendations with pricing from the UK, please. If you like any more info from me to help with this recommendation, please ask and I will give.

Thanks in advance,

ljeo332

I'd ask what your budget is but those are some hefty priced monitors..

Good luck on your hunt. 

Happy early birthday :P

Your listed items adds up in price... IMO 1440p is the sweet spot between fps and resolution. You're not going high with 4k, and 1080p is getting a bit cramped. Maybe consider an ultra-wide if it suits your use cases.

Don't worry about sound in monitors. Some are better than others, but even cheap speakers will do as well or better. 

For colour work, lean towards IPS panels, although higher end TN panels don't have too much colour shift and can still be used with caution.

Depending if you have AMD or nvidia GPU, it can help to match G-sync / FreeSync for it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, DVA said:

I'd ask what your budget is but those are some hefty priced monitors..

Good luck on your hunt. 

Happy early birthday :P

Thanks haha,

I don't have much of a budget, as in I've been asked to price out the best one I can get so assume price is no factor, but I wouldn't go too high as ill get less stuff for Christmas, as my dad wants to get me the latest apple watch so fun times hah

A couple questions

• Is this for gaming? If so, what kind of games do you play?
  • Is there a certain budget that your dad has or that you don't want your dad to pay more than?
  • How serious are you about color accuracy?
  • Are you interested in 1080p 240hz or do you want higher res?

Here is a list of the monitors that meet your criterea

(least to most expensive; i'll only list the ones that I would recommend)

>Asus MG279Q - Good monitor for gaming and productivity, has freesync but no blur reduction feature

>ViewSonic XG2703 & AOC AG271QG - Same as above but has G-Sync instead of FreeSync and includes ULMB

>Acer XB271HU & Asus PG279Q - Same as above but maybe a couple added minor features. Main thing is that you are buying from a bigger brand.

>Dell AW3418DW - It's an ultrawide which has great gaming performance and good enough color. It doesn't have a blur reduction mode however

4 minutes ago, Sombra said:

A couple questions

• Is this for gaming? If so, what kind of games do you play?
  • Is there a certain budget that your dad has or that you don't want your dad to pay more than?
  • How serious are you about color accuracy?
  • Are you interested in 1080p 240hz or do you want higher res?

Here is a list of the monitors that meet your criterea

(least to most expensive; i'll only list the ones that I would recommend)

>Asus MG279Q - Good monitor for gaming and productivity, has freesync but no blur reduction feature

>ViewSonic XG2703 & AOC AG271QG - Same as above but has G-Sync instead of FreeSync and includes ULMB

>Acer XB271HU & Asus PG279Q - Same as above but maybe a couple added minor features. Main thing is that you are buying from a bigger brand.

>Dell AW3418DW - It's an ultrawide which has great gaming performance and good enough color. It doesn't have a blur reduction mode however

This monitor is for gaming and media intake primarily youtube and Netflix, and I mostly play RTS games like HOI IV and Napoleon TW, and I sometimes play AAA titles like DOOM and MGSV when I feel like it so I want the extra refresh for handiness really

I say the budget is to not exceed 800£ but also not to be that high unless it has too

For colour accuracy, it's only important when it comes to printing any photos I got, but it's not a deal breaker since I'll be using it alongside my mac

I'm more or less disgusted with 1080p since getting a mac, as I can see so many pixels on a 22" TV I rather step up-res, I would be going for 4K if it were not for I could only get it at 60Hz where I want 120Hz at most really