New Ryzen build doesn't post

EIijah
Go to solution Solved by Zagna,

There's a possibility that you got a board where the Ryzen 2000 sticker meant support for Ryzen 2x00G, but not rest of the 2000-series. The sticker was supposed to be used only after full 2000-series support was enabled but they started using it too early.

I got a new set of components today, and after putting everything together, fans spin up but no display, tried multiple gpu's, reduced to one stick of ram and tried all slots and nothing. The motherboard speaker also gives no beeps. The board is Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H and the cpu is a ryzen 2600. This is where I start to think maybe the board isn't on the latest bios, meaning it wouldn't support the 2000 series ryzen, except the website I bought from claims it does, the motherboard box has a big sticker slapped on it saying 2000 series ready (not printed). When turning it on the cpu fan seems to spin up and down rapidlyish. But would no post beeps and no display and a cpu fan spinning up and down point towards a bios that doesn't support it?

EDIT: Just want to say for anybody in future, The board needed a BIOS update but for the RAM, not cpu

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Fans spinning up and down with nothing else indicate a power issue, its either not stable or there is something causing a shutdown again.

The BIOS does not support Pinnacle Ridge CPUs (Ryzen 2) by default and has to be updated. I found the information in the patch notes for the BIOS update for the Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H. It says: "Update AGESA 1.0.0.0a for Pinnacle Ridge CPU support"

Find it here :) 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes... It most definitely sounds like you need to do a bios update. On Gigabyte boards, you can open the bios, and upgrade from there.  Bios updating s really easy now days.

After you flash the bios, let us know if that resolves your issue or not.

There's a possibility that you got a board where the Ryzen 2000 sticker meant support for Ryzen 2x00G, but not rest of the 2000-series. The sticker was supposed to be used only after full 2000-series support was enabled but they started using it too early.

42 minutes ago, Zmax said:

If you have a Ryzen 5 2600 the MB does support it

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370M-DS3H-rev-1x#support-cpu

False assumption. Note that it says "SINCE BIOS VERSION". It's unlikely that version is on there if the board has been manufactured more than 6 months ago, which is rather likely as these boards have been for sale since early 2017.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

Fans spinning up and down with nothing else indicate a power issue, its either not stable or there is something causing a shutdown again.

Powersupply tested and pulled from a working pc, only the cpu fan spins up and down, gpu fan is constant 

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

1 hour ago, Uptivuptiz said:

The BIOS does not support Pinnacle Ridge CPUs (Ryzen 2) by default and has to be updated. I found the information in the patch notes for the BIOS update for the Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H. It says: "Update AGESA 1.0.0.0a for Pinnacle Ridge CPU support"

Find it here :) 

Yeah, just odd that the motherboard specifically said Ryzen 2000 series ready

1 hour ago, Zagna said:

This sounds like what has happened, hopefully if I take it back they will be able to do the update for free

I suggest ditch the AMD Ryzen board and proc... and just ask for the Intel equivalent.  Less of a headache..lol

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

False assumption. Note that it says "SINCE BIOS VERSION". It's unlikely that version is on there if the board has been manufactured more than 6 months ago, which is rather likely as these boards have been for sale since early 2017.

You are correct. BIOS may not be latest one.

2 minutes ago, DakVampyre said:

I suggest ditch the AMD Ryzen board and proc... and just ask for the Intel equivalent.  Less of a headache..lol

intel equivalent is a lot worse for the same price, and in New Zealand the pc stores are small and don't allow returns like that

11 minutes ago, DakVampyre said:

Yeah, it's totally better to force consumers to buy a new board with their new CPU every 1 or 2 years for no legitimate reason, lmao.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Yeah, it's totally better to force consumers to buy a new board with their new CPU every 1 or 2 years for no legitimate reason, lmao.

I had an X79 Sabertooth for the past 6 years... So I don't understand where your getting the "having to get new stuff every 2 years" from... 

Now there is one product that is being forced on all of us.. and it's not just one company forcing it anymore..all the PC parts companies are forcing it on us now as well... and that is horrible Windows 10.... Microsoft tried to be sneaky about it when it came out, and if you buy any new hardware, those companies are not really leaving us much choice in the matter either. 

16 minutes ago, DakVampyre said:

I had an X79 Sabertooth for the past 6 years... So I don't understand where your getting the "having to get new stuff every 2 years" from... 

Now there is one product that is being forced on all of us.. and it's not just one company forcing it anymore..all the PC parts companies are forcing it on us now as well... and that is horrible Windows 10.... Microsoft tried to be sneaky about it when it came out, and if you buy any new hardware, those companies are not really leaving us much choice in the matter either. 

Yeah, change the subject. Good stuff. First you bash AMD for not supporting a brand new CPU on a last gen board out of the box and now you blame Microsoft to derail the thread. Please just leave this thread as it is. This is not helping OP at all and it's irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yeah, change the subject. Good stuff. First you bash AMD for not supporting a brand new CPU on a last gen board out of the box and now you blame Microsoft to derail the thread. Please just leave this thread as it is. This is not helping OP at all and it's irrelevant.

Your welcome to leave anytime you want bro... for your information...I wasn't bashing him for his selection or AMD... We all get electronics that don't work every once in a while, and I use AMD products myself.... 

So excuse me for not being more specific...  I was implying that he take it back to where he purchased it, and get an exchange. If anything he could call the store and double check if they would at least look into what the issue could be. 

Next time I will make my response completely specific for everyone to understand. Is that ok with your dad?

10 minutes ago, DakVampyre said:

So excuse me for not being more specific...  I was implying that he take it back to where he purchased it, and get an exchange. If anything he could call the store and double check if they would at least look into what the issue could be. 

If that was what your post was meant to imply, then I'm afraid you're a disgrace to native English speakers, because that wasn't even close, LOL.

Am I to assume you have a PHD or Doctorate in the English language? 

Are you going to ground me from the Halloween dance for not being more specific with my words dad?

When did we nominate you as the forum's language expert / hall monitor?