Solus OS WiFi issues

Solusun

I boot into Solus OS on my Surface pro 4. I connect to wifi. 20-40 minutes later I am no longer connected to wifi. And solus cant find any wifi networks at all. I have to restart and do the same thing in another 20-40 minutes. The only work around I have found is to use my hotspot on my phone and I can normally use it as long as I want. 

I tried going to the solus forums but they've been down for a while. 

I'm at a loss I suspect it to be a driver compatability issue in solus. Because it works fine in windows and kali. But idk. If I update in windows will it carry over to solus? How do I update a proprietary realtek driver in solus?

12 minutes ago, Solusun said:

I'm at a loss I suspect it to be a driver compatability issue in solus. Because it works fine in windows and kali. But idk. If I update in windows will it carry over to solus? How do I update a proprietary realtek driver in solus?

Windows drivers are different from Linux kernel modules which are different from MacOS kext modules. They DO NOT carry over between OSs. What's the best way to update a proprietary driver? Ask the manufacturer of the hardware for a more up to date driver for your OS, reverse engineer the driver and update it yourself, or replace the hardware with something that doesn't lock you into a vendor who may never update the driver uses open source drivers.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Windows drivers are different from Linux kernel modules which are different from MacOS kext modules. They DO NOT carry over between OSs. What's the best way to update a proprietary driver? Ask the manufacturer of the hardware for a more up to date driver for your OS, reverse engineer the driver and update it yourself, or replace the hardware with something that doesn't lock you into a vendor who may never update the driver uses open source drivers.

I dont know how to reverse engineer a driver. I also would like to not take it apart and put in a different network adapter. But I will ask them for an updated driver and see if they support solus.

4 minutes ago, Solusun said:

I dont know how to reverse engineer a driver. I also would like to not take it apart and put in a different network adapter. But I will ask them for an updated driver and see if they support solus.

For the record if your gong to contact Microsoft, your wasting your time, they wont help you. What you can do is see if a driver exists for the OS. I know in the past using Ubuntu, some times drivers are not included because they contain proprietary things, but the end user can download them. Not sure about the legality, but on one of my old laptops I was able to get WiFi drivers from the internet, they just were not built in to the OS installer. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

For the record if your gong to contact Microsoft, your wasting your time, they wont help you. What you can do is see if a driver exists for the OS. I know in the past using Ubuntu, some times drivers are not included because they contain proprietary things, but the end user can download them. Not sure about the legality, but on one of my old laptops I was able to get WiFi drivers from the internet, they just were not built in to the OS installer. 

No I was going to contact realtek. F*ck Microsoft they dont care about helping anyone.

Anyways where could I look for a trustworthy driver made for my os?

1 minute ago, Solusun said:

No I was going to contact realtek. F*ck Microsoft they dont care about helping anyone.

Anyways where could I look for a trustworthy driver made for my os?

Hard to say. Realtek might have one on their website. Not too familiar with Solus, but sometimes they have a few different linux drivers. Or what I did was ask on the help forums for the distro I was using. A Google Search might also yield some results as well. Thats the thing about Linux and OS like it, you kinda have to do some digging around. Or you might just be SOL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.