Is 6gb of ram good enough for games and Windows 10

Mattk13

so i was wondering if 6gb of ram is enough for gaming i only tested a few games on 6gb of ram but want to know if i can get away with playing heavier titles without stutter

and wanted to know if windows 10 can survive on 6gb on windows 7 now should i upgrade to 10

8 or more is most advisable. but depending on what your doing it will vary. 6 will work but i cant say what performance will be like as i have 8. games will say what the minimum spec will be, you can always check there.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

2 minutes ago, Mattk13 said:

so i was wondering if 6gb of ram is enough for gaming i only tested a few games on 6gb of ram but want to know if i can get away with playing heavier titles without stutter

and wanted to know if windows 10 can survive on 6gb on windows 7 now should i upgrade to 10

Upgrade to Windows 10. I have run Windows 10 on systems before that have 2GB ram. You will be fine, and most games will run fine. (Maybe not modern games that require alot of RAM like GTA 5 though)

Just now, bobbyd52 said:

Upgrade to Windows 10. I have run Windows 10 on systems before that have 2GB ram. You will be fine, and most games will run fine. (Maybe not modern games that require alot of RAM like GTA 5 though)

one of the games ive tested is gta 5  and it doesn't stutter

6 minutes ago, Mattk13 said:

wanted to know if windows 10 can survive on 6gb on windows 7 now should i upgrade to 10

My laptop has 2GB of DDR3 RAM and yet it runs Windows 10 fine, albeit the 32-bit version. The laptop was made for Windows 8.1 though.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 minutes ago, Mattk13 said:

one of the games ive tested is gta 5  and it doesn't stutter

Oh, great then, ive never had a system with 6GB ram, so I wouldent really know, but anyways Windows 10 might actually run BETTER than Windows 7, as Windows 10 works SO MUCH BETTER than any other version of windows with older hardware or less RAM.

7 minutes ago, Mattk13 said:

The OS doesn't matter. 6GB is fine, I mean it all depends on the game and visual settings you pick (and can support) as well as resolution, that decides how much RAM the game needs (and graphics card memory). But in general 8GB is recommended these days, assuming you have a decent system, to play the latest games at decent settings.

6gb is extreme borderline.  Some games will stutter while others will not.  At any rate, while gaming, you will need to close ALL other applications in many more recent titles to eliminate some stutter in larger games.  Even with that, you may still find games that refuse to run smoothly on 6gb.

8 is recommended if you're just going to game and not have any applications open in the background.

hi.

As long as you have no more than a game client+anti virus open, yes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I was having trouble with games running Windows 7 and 8GB of RAM.

What is your spec? How many dimms do you have to get to 6GB? Are they mix and matched? What frequencies are they running at? Check out CPUZ to see all that info.

I recommend 8 or more. But depending on what dimms you have installed right now, you might not have to buy all 8GB at once.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

I would not build a sistem with less than 8gb of ram today.

I probably would not feel the urge to upgrade a system with 6 gb of ram either.

At least not for the ram.

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

When I had 6gb ram, I was hitting close to limits if Chrome was open and gaming. Most of the games I used will hit 4-5gb use on med settings.

That's what my brother's been finding with the spare parts rig I assembled. Having enough vRAM on the graphics card helps. A 2GB 650ti would have made gaming a rather bad experience.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL