4K Blu Ray

I want to play 4K blu rays and would like to use my gaming rig but I can hardly find any optical drives for this, so I was wondering if I would be better off with a external blu ray player.  Also, do any recivers have players built in?

thanks

1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

I want to play 4K blu rays and would like to use my gaming rig but I can hardly find any optical drives for this, so I was wondering if I would be better off with a external blu ray player.  Also, do any recivers have players built in?

thanks

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/243463-new-pioneer-ultra-blu-ray-burners-pack-4k-playback-16x-burn-speeds

3 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Reviews do not look promising for this one, I think lg has one too but its not on amazon at all.

I linked that primarily because of this:

In order to play UHD Blu-rays, your system must support AACS 2.0 and Intel’s Software Guard Extensions (SGX). You’ll need software to play the disc itself (CyberLink has an updated software solution set to ship in the near future), and a GPU with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 support. AACS 2.0 also has to be implemented within the GPU driver, and no current stand-alone GPU drivers have this functionality. Finally, you need a 4K TV with both HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 support as well.

Anyway, the studios don't actually want normal people to be able to watch their stuff. Maybe they will change their minds about that in the future. I can't say much to be of help in getting hardware thanks to that. I suggest looking into whether any external 4k blu-ray players have any sort of guarantee that they won't break them at some point in the future. The way that AACS works is that they can make any blu-ray player stop working if a revision of the MKB on a newer disc decides to invalidate your hardware's certificate. :/

All you need to decrypt and watch a 4K Blu-ray is a UHD drive (such as LG WH16NS40), VLC, and AnyDVDHD, all the other crap is only needed if you want to conform to how you are supposed to watch UHD disks.

The newest UHD drives have added firmware to halt our ability to backup or view the discs we own unfortunately.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

Get external. It's simple, and no fuss. You can find them on sale for under or right around $100. Don't buy the "upscaling" ones, they don't play native 4k discs, and just buy a name brand for that price, no Magnavox please. You can get a LG UP875 for ~$90 usually.

I think external might be the way to go.  I just need to find one that supports 4K And Uhd without upscaling.  Any other features I need To look for?