how to transfer os to an nvme ssd

mr.happy
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Instead of migrating, which will likely cause system issues immediately or in the near future, move your OS the proper way: https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

My motherboard has two slots for m.2 drives I'm currently using an m.2 ssd but I want to add a 970 evo nvme m.2 ssd. How would I transfer Windows to the nvme ssd? Do I need to reinstall Windows 10?

Samsung has its own clowning tool called "Samsung magician"

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

for me I use easus todo backup and just clone the drive

remember to select the optimize for SSD option.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Wouldn't even bother putting it on the nvme honestly, the difference in boot times and general responsiveness won't even be noticeable. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Instead of migrating, which will likely cause system issues immediately or in the near future, move your OS the proper way: https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

It wont cause any, the biggest problem the op will have is to repair the bootloader..... (Personal experience, i moved over many systems to an SSD without reinstall. No issues with any of them. Maybe windows 10 isnt that great after all if it cant handle this.)

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

It wont cause any, the biggest problem the op will have is to repair the bootloader..... (Personal experience, i moved over many systems to an SSD without reinstall. No issues with any of them. Maybe windows 10 isnt that great after all if it cant handle this.)

Most of the bad reviews on samsung SSDs are from people that tried migrating with the magician software and then had their computer not boot, had performance issues, or many other things.

If you don't believe me just go to google and search for "issues after cloning" or migrating or whatever, there are hundreds of things that can happen, everything from no boot to small things like disk usage spikes, failing updates, etc.

Highly recommend to clean install if he doesn't want to deal with any problems.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

58 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Most of the bad reviews on samsung SSDs are from people that tried migrating with the magician software and then had their computer not boot, had performance issues, or many other things.

If you don't believe me just go to google and search for "issues after cloning" or migrating or whatever, there are hundreds of things that can happen, everything from no boot to small things like disk usage spikes, failing updates, etc.

Highly recommend to clean install if he doesn't want to deal with any problems.

No need for google when i done it on 12+ machines already and none of them has any issues(if they had then the owner would call me).... Simply copy over partitions with gparted then restore the bootloader, end of story.

31 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

No need for google when i done it on 12+ machines already and none of them has any issues(if they had then the owner would call me).... Simply copy over partitions with gparted then restore the bootloader, end of story.

The owners would probably not contact you for stuff like high disk usage or failing windows updates.

Most people just blame it on their PC being slow or windows 10 being crappy.

Clearly you aren't aware of the hundreds of other issues that happen, not just bootloader issues.

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Enderman said:

Clearly you aren't aware of the hundreds of other issues that happen, not just bootloader issues.

Not even google know about them(except for the ones that were caused by errors in the original image)....

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Not even google know about them(except for the ones that were caused by errors in the original image)....

What are you talking about?

https://www.google.ca/search?ei=g6eWW_nILPm80PEPobOi2AQ&q=windows+10+cloning+issues&oq=windows+10+cloning+issues&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39k1j0j0i22i30k1.6447.6591.0.6817.2.2.0.0.0.0.70.138.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.2.135....0.ukcGKwZnDcU

Also search for "samsung magician migrate problem" or stuff like that.
Hundreds of posts on this forum alone about migrating issues.

Spoiler