DVD/Bluray Library Conversion Questions

Bonjour,

I am in the process of figuring out how to dump my rather small DVD and Bluray collection.

I don't mind, and would prefer compression, but it has to be lossless. I have nothing 4K. Everything 1080P or lower, my laptop's display is the primary display for these files and it's a 1080P screen.

Can someone point me in the direction of where to get started? There's a lot of dated crap out there it's hard to weed through it.

I used to just unlock my DVDs with AnyDVD and dump the ISO in the past but with Blurays I don't have the luxury of space anymore. Haven't done anything like this in a long time and notice a lot of new software and methods have come along.

I don't necessarily always need to full DVD/Bluray dump but do want it in some instances (for special features, etc). So I need to know how to do both, strip just the main episode/movie and dump the whole disk.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Any DVD & Handbrake is what I use

I typically rip the main title, strip subtitles, alternate languages, etc.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

Before I pay for an AnyDVD license is it still the only way to go to unlock DVDs and Blurays?

Are there other options?

It's the best option still imo.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

22 minutes ago, blackberriesandthinkpads said:

Before I pay for an AnyDVD license is it still the only way to go to unlock DVDs and Blurays?

Are there other options?

Handbrake or makemkv.... both works fine for me.

Magical Pineapples

Alright, so I downloaded AnyDVD and HandBrake and dicked around a bit.

I need help figuring out exactly what I need to change in the Video and Audio sections to make sure my output is lossless.

HandBrake lists some source information near the top (resolution, frame rate, number of audio tracks, number of subtitle tracks), but I don't know the audio specifics to match in the audio tab? Is there a lossless preset in HandBrake?

Also, HandBrake is splitting my output into one chapter (episode, tv show) at a time. Can I get it to batch do all of the chapters on the disc?

What output format is superior? MKV or MP4?

I'll try makemkv too in a bit.

I use DVDFab to rip my videos to .iso files, then use a player, like VLC or PowerDVD to play them. That way, I can view them from my computer the same as the original discs, with menus for extra content, etc. The ripping is a one step operation without having to figure out which files to rip, etc.

For now, I'm keeping the original discs in storage boxes designed for optical disks (they tke up far less room that way than when in the bulky, original cases) as an additional backup (and to prove I actually owned the movies and didn't steal thm should I ever be challenged) but I'm eventually going to destroy the originals to save space.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 9/8/2018 at 11:48 PM, blackberriesandthinkpads said:

Bonjour,

I am in the process of figuring out how to dump my rather small DVD and Bluray collection.

I don't mind, and would prefer compression, but it has to be lossless. I have nothing 4K. Everything 1080P or lower, my laptop's display is the primary display for these files and it's a 1080P screen.

Can someone point me in the direction of where to get started? There's a lot of dated crap out there it's hard to weed through it.

I used to just unlock my DVDs with AnyDVD and dump the ISO in the past but with Blurays I don't have the luxury of space anymore. Haven't done anything like this in a long time and notice a lot of new software and methods have come along.

I don't necessarily always need to full DVD/Bluray dump but do want it in some instances (for special features, etc). So I need to know how to do both, strip just the main episode/movie and dump the whole disk.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I would ditch AnyDVD and use MakeMKV instead.

1. Use MakeMKV to rip an uncompressed exact copy of the Blu-Ray or DVD onto your computer - during this process, you can select which Subtitle and Audio tracks you want to keep (if any). The output is a single MKV file w/ the subtitles and audio inside the file container.

2. Use Handbrake to reduce file size by compressing the file - use "quality setting" RF 18 for Blu-Ray's for near lossless compression that will still drop the file size significantly.

You may want to test a few different RF settings - though don't bother going lower than 18 (lower = "better" quality), since your file size balloons like crazy and I doubt you'd notice a difference in quality. You might want to try RF 19, 20, or even as high as 22. Encode the same movie into each different RF setting, and compare them - pick the one you like the best (quality vs file size).

All of this is with H.264 in mind.

FYI, there is no such thing as lossless compression for video. There's more efficient compression - in that case, you might want to look at H.265 - it's a lot more processor intensive to decode and play (unless you have hardware support), but you can generally get smaller file sizes out of the same quality when compared to H.264.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)