Raid 0 or optane? 

Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
4 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

I have two,  2tb hard drives that I combined with windows formatting into one HDD for games and an SSD for windows. I'm thinking about buying a 16bg optane memory for the hdd's. but do you thing i will get better speeds if i just put the hdds in raid 0?    Raid 0 or optane? 

Just use an SSD caching software for both drives with some cheap 128GB SSDs Or maybe you only need one SSD for both...

Optane generally isn't worth it and RAID 0 is going to lose all of your data at some point.

I have two,  2tb hard drives that I combined with windows formatting into one HDD for games and an SSD for windows. I'm thinking about buying a 16bg optane memory for the hdd's. but do you thing i will get better speeds if i just put the hdds in raid 0?    Raid 0 or optane? 

4 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

Just use an SSD caching software for both drives with some cheap 128GB SSDs Or maybe you only need one SSD for both...

Optane generally isn't worth it and RAID 0 is going to lose all of your data at some point.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Don't use either.  Optane isn't worth what Intel says it is and in reality creates more problems than it is worth.  As for the raid 0, you can do just as good with a single SSD and not run the risk of losing your stuff if one of the raid drives should fail.  Just go with an SSD of something like a 128 or 256 and you will be really satisfied with the move.  If you can afford it, go with a 512 and use the other drives as backup of something along those lines.

9 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Don't use either.  Optane isn't worth what Intel says it is and in reality creates more problems than it is worth.  As for the raid 0, you can do just as good with a single SSD and not run the risk of losing your stuff if one of the raid drives should fail.  Just go with an SSD of something like a 128 or 256 and you will be really satisfied with the move.  If you can afford it, go with a 512 and use the other drives as backup of something along those lines.

I thought Raid 0 requires 2 identical drives? 

15 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

I thought Raid 0 requires 2 identical drives? 

you can use any drives, but haveing identical ones reduces issues.

Raid 0 on 7200 hdd won't match the speed of a single ssd, there's no seek time in ssd. Everything is lightning fast.

So it's kinda bizzare if you compare mech drive with solid state, especially for caching.

Raid 0 meant for multiplying the output / seek time of mechanical hdd, and back when there's no ssd it was doing great.

Now there's no reason to use it. Use raid when you want redundancy, data security, which mean sacrificing 1 of your hdd capacity.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:

Neither; buy a 250GB or larger boot SSD and experience a drive that "just works" and doesn't make you want to tear your hair out like trying to configure Optane does, nor start from scratch like when a RAID0 array fails. Besides, a single SSD is faster than a RAID0 of 2x HDD's anyway.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)