Replacement for isopropyl alcohol

Matthew Waring

I recently got salt water in my phone charging port and it was working previously after but now its coming up with a warning for moisture in the charging port. I've tried cleaning the charging port but it still comes up with the message. Is there any other chemical that I can use like isopropyl alcohol to try clean the charging port since the salt water has possibly dried on the contact pins?

Just now, Matthew Waring said:

I recently got salt water in my phone charging port and it was working previously after but now its coming up with a warning for moisture in the charging port. I've tried cleaning the charging port but it still comes up with the message. Is there any other chemical that I can use like isopropyl alcohol to try clean the charging port since the salt water has possibly dried on the contact pins?

You're going to want to open it up to see if there is any heavy corrosion and to clean it off properly. Just using some isopropyl on the outside most likely won't do. As for alternatives acetone can work as long as there is zero plastic or rubber seals.

denatured alcohol would be a good substitution

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

You're going to want to open it up to see if there is any heavy corrosion and to clean it off properly. Just using some isopropyl on the outside most likely won't do. As for alternatives acetone can work as long as there is zero plastic or rubber seals.

I will have to see how difficult it is to open. If it is difficult I may not bother since I am planning on buying a new phone anyway.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

I will have to see how difficult it is to open. If it is difficult I may not bother since I am planning on buying a new phone anyway.

You could always check iFixit's website for instructions on how to take apart most phones and other electronics...they're also an LMG sponsor.

https://www.ifixit.com/

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

You could always check iFixit's website for instructions on how to take apart most phones and other electronics...they're also an LMG sponsor.

https://www.ifixit.com/

Since its the s7 edge, it seems to be quiet an effort to dissemble since it requires tools I do not have. 

10 minutes ago, Matthew Waring said:

Since its the s7 edge, it seems to be quiet an effort to dissemble since it requires tools I do not have. 

True...getting all the iFixit tools you would need would be pretty pricey, you could find similar tools you need on eBay or AliExpress if you're on a tight budget. Just be careful as the quality of tools on eBay and AliExpress can vary a lot.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Ive managed to fix the issue, I ended up picking out dust and using lemon juice to try remove the corrosion.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:21 AM, W-L said:

acetones a bit strong, i'd rather just use meths.