Nvidia Rant

BarackOBatman

This is a bit of a rant post.

Had a bad experience with Nvidia's customer service.

Someone got unauthorized access to my credit card, so my card company had to cancel it. This happened to be the same card I used to pre-order an RTX 2080 ti. When I reached out to Nvidia to tell them use my bank card instead, after being transferred to many different reps (including technical support) for 20 minutes or so they told me I needed to cancel my pre order and instead re order using my other card and also that there was no way for them to use another card for my order. This obviously wasn't going to work because all the RTX 2080 ti's are all back ordered up... When I explained that I cant re order, they apologized and said that I will have to wait until they come back in stock... Awesome...

The fact that I'm a 2080 ti pre orderer aside... This is pretty lame. Like despite what product I ordered, they should be able to help with something like this.. I should have went to Newegg instead, this would not have been an issue.

I already sold my GTX 1080 and now I'm stuck with a GTX 760 for gaming in 1440p.

Well, at least now I get to see the launch reviews before I buy.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

You night want to change the title. The current one will likely get this thread locked for the no flame war policy the forum has. 

Also I don't buy from anywhere but microcenter if I can help with. Really good customer service and I can actually go to the store to get my problems fixed rather than over the phone and having to ship shit back. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

You night want to change the title. The current one will likely get this thread locked for the no flame war policy the forum has. 

Thanks for the heads up. Is that better.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Also, don't preorder.

Nothing wrong with reserving a card. That's what I did at microcenter and I don't pay until I pick it up so if I don't want to get it they will simply wait 2 days and put it back on the shelf. 

2 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Your own mistake for not taking security seriously as annoying as it is.

In my opinion, I take my security seriously. Though it is ultimately up to me to make sure my numbers don't get stolen, so in that regard it is my fault.

5 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Also, don't preorder.

I wanted the best, what can I say. lol xD

But yes I understand that preordering is always a bad idea.

4 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

If you took it seriously enough your credit card details would't be used by some one else.

Even the hardest safe can be cracked. It could have been negligence but it also could have been a very good theft as well. 

6 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

If you took it seriously enough your credit card details would't be used by some one else.

True to a degree, though it is entirely possible that this was completely beyond my control.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Even the hardest safe can be cracked. It could have been negligence but it also could have been a very good theft as well. 

I have been ordering online for 20 years, never had my card info or credentials stolen.  Keep up to date with security leaks and get a new card if there is a major breach in the tech news.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

I have been ordering online for 20 years, never had my card info or credentials stolen.  Keep up to date with security leaks and get a new card if there is a major breach in the tech news.

I fail to see how this is relevant. It's like saying I have been driving for x amount of years and never gotten into a car accident so clearly if you drive safely you can 100% avoid it. When the reality is shit happens and who really knows how they got hacked. 

No, Newegg CS is atrocious. My GF bought a gift card through them and they charged, but never delivered. Fast forward to present day, they didn't do a damn thing for a fraudulent charge when someone purchased a XBox Live sub for a year. Last console was a PS2 if that's any indication I don't console game.

They handled it by closing my account in spite of supporting them since the early 2000's.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

I fail to see how this is relevant. It's like saying I have been driving for x amount of years and never gotten into a car accident so clearly if you drive safely you can 100% avoid it. When the reality is shit happens and who really knows how they got hacked. 

You keep from having car accidents by driving safely and avoiding areas that are known to be dangerous.

Its called being informed about where you go and what you do.  Most people get hacked by not paying attention, just like drivers getting into accidents.  Pay attention to the local traffic and news and you know where accidents are likely to happen so you can avoid those areas (not to mention paying attention to the road and those driving around you).  Likewise, you can pay attention the the tech news and you can avoid problems before damage can be done as well as mitigate damage if your info does get exposed.

I honestly dont like any of the graphics card companies to be honest or any of the computer brand companies they always lie about there products and leave out key definecny 

Tl; dr

I could make a joke about how preordering is stupid and a very bad idea in general, but I don't think you need me to tell you that.

19 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

You keep from having car accidents by driving safely and avoiding areas that are known to be dangerous.

Its called being informed about where you go and what you do.  Most people get hacked by not paying attention, just like drivers getting into accidents.  Pay attention to the local traffic and news and you know where accidents are likely to happen so you can avoid those areas (not to mention paying attention to the road and those driving around you).  Likewise, you can pay attention the the tech news and you can avoid problems before damage can be done as well as mitigate damage if your info does get exposed.

You can always mitigate risk but you can never eliminate it. The fact is that it can happen to anyone no matter how careful they are. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can always mitigate risk but you can never eliminate it. The fact is that it can happen to anyone no matter how careful they are. 

You can 100% mitigate the risk.  Use pre-paid cards when you order online and buy them with cash.

19 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

You know there is nothing stopping someone from skimming your credit card at a gas station or via the RFID chip if you have one on the card or even in some cases just randomly guessing can net them a card.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You can 100% mitigate the risk.  Use pre-paid cards when you order online and buy them with cash.

If you own a credit card then you can have it hacked even if you don't use it online. 

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

You know there is nothing stopping someone from skimming your credit card at a gas station or via the RFID chip if you have one on the card or even in some cases just randomly guessing can net them a card.

There is something stopping that, paying attention the the card reader before you trust it with your back account.  Also, RFID is for people wanting to get scammed.  If my bank forced an RFID card on me I would nuke the RFID chip myself because it is inherently insecure.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

There is something stopping that, paying attention the the card reader before you trust it with your back account.  Also, RFID is for people wanting to get scammed.  If my bank forced an RFID card on me I would nuke the RFID chip myself because it is inherently insecure.

You do realize that you card information is in different databases and can be stolen. You can never be eliminated from risk. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you own a credit card then you can have it hacked even if you don't use it online. 

Guessing a number set is not hacking.  Using a CC for every day stuff is also... not that intelligent (this is what opens you up to database hacks).  Bank card tied to an account with only your "daily use" budget is the best practice.

Its almost as if none of you understand how to mitigate risk in the banking system.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Guessing a number set is not hacking.  Using a CC for every day stuff is also... not that intelligent (this is what opens you up to database hacks).  Bank card tied to an account with only your "daily use" budget is the best practice.

Its almost as if none of you understand how to mitigate risk in the banking system.

I never said you can't mitigate risk. I am just saying you can't eliminate it. The fact is if you bank get hacked then there goes your credit card information.