Interesting problem at work regarding Windows 10

I'm not expecting it to be solved here, but maybe someone knows something I don't or it's a longshot. I'm in contact with a consultant about it but in the meantime while I'm waiting I figured I would post it here since I'm a longtime member. Kind of a longshot but sometimes longshots work right?

Our issue can be described as follows:

When a Microsoft store (UWP) app is launched, the app begins to start, and then Windows just returns to the desktop, as if the app crashed without an error. The one situation where an error does pop up, is when a user tries to open a picture file, such a .jpg, .png, .gif, etc. The photos app attempts to launch, but also crashes and a message saying "The app cannot start" is displayed. If a picture is attempted to be opened from within our IBM Notes program, the error given by IBM Notes itself is "Cannot invoke program."

This affects most applications installed on the system, including the Microsoft Store itself,  the only one we have seen it not effect is the pre-installed LinkedIn App.

This happens across all of our machines, both laptops(Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga's and Dell Latitude 7480's) and desktops (Dell Optiplex 3060), We are also running Windows 10 1709 on our laptops, and Windows 10 1803 on our desktops. It only has appeared slowly, we generally have 1-2 help tickets every couple of days that roll in from users encountering the issue. Not all users have the issue (in fact only 1 person in our department has this issue). Another interesting point is our laptop users actually have Administrative rights on their systems, while our desktop users do not. We also do not utilize an Active Directory server, nor do we use Local Group Policy to control file permissions.

In the Windows Event Viewer; under "Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Apps\Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational" you can find an event ID #5961 logged anytime a UWP app is attempted to be launched in any way.

Here is a list of mitigations we have tried thus far:

-- Removing and re-registering installed UWP apps with powershell

-- Installing the latest security/patch updates available for Windows

-- Running System File Checker Scan/Fix

-- Running the Windows DISM tool in online repair mode.

-- Running the Windows Store App troubleshooter in settings

-- Running wsreset.exe to reset the windows store cache

-- Running Startup Repair

-- Ensuring File and registry permissions are correct for the "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" group as described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2798317/microsoft-store-apps-fail-to-start-if-default-registry-or-file-permiss

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This happens when you disable some of services like (for example) Windows Firewall (now it's Windows Defender Firewall). Is not easy to disable it, but it's possible. Also try to enable (if disabled) Security Center, Windows Update and BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). I noticed that some of them are not only resonsible for protection or updates, but many other Windows tasks depends on them.

I had some thing similar happen to me after one update, a few updates ago where about half of my apps became disabled.  Fortunately my store was not affected and I was able to repair the apps by clicking the link in the error message that came up when I tried to start the app that started the app store and repaired the apps.

Since your store is also affected, have you tried to repair the store or reinstalling it?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store/download-and-install-ms-windows-store/e9d71c80-8399-49d5-9d92-a18add81a4dc?auth=1

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store-winpc/how-to-reinstall-windows-store-on-windows-10/4621014f-1b8e-42cf-861a-9f93caa5669c