1440p@144hz OR 1080p@240hz.

Kywim

Hey!

First of all, here are my specs:

• GTX 1080Ti (FTW3) (Just received, still have to install & oc it)
  • i7 4790k (Stock clock)
  • 16 GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM

So, my new GPU has arrived. Now it's the time to decide on which monitor I'm going to buy so this bad boy can flexx it's muscles. 

After a lot of thinking, I can't decide between 2 monitors (both G-Sync):

• A 1440p 144hz monitor (27 inch)
    • Pros:
      • More screen real estate
      • Sharper image, better colors (IPS)
    • Cons:
      • Requires more horsepower, 144hz won't be attainable in some AAA games (but competitive games shouldn't be a problem)
      • 1080p content might look blurry? (to be confirmed)
      • More expensive (700€)
  • A 1080p 240hz monitor (24-25 inch)
    • Pros:
      • Better for competitive games. Low input lag, ultimate smoothness.
      • Cheaper (450€ for the AW), which would allow me to buy a 2nd screen later in the year to do a dual screen setup.
      • 1080p content looks perfect
    • Cons:
      • 240hz won't be attainable in all games.
      • Worse image quality (TN Panel)

If I were to quantify my time on the computer, I'd have:

• +- 60% time spent playing games. Mostly OW/Fortnite with friends, but I like to play solo games such as subnautica from time to time.
  • +- 20% time spent programming (Visual studio, often with 2 or 3 files open at once)
  • +- 20% time spent on others, such as redditing or watching movies/series/youtube/anime/school work stuff 9_9

In the end, it seems like a dilemma between a productivity boost and a gaming boost. Which one will I value the most, heh? But I'd like

to hear some opinions on this. What should I really do? What would you do in my situation?

I plan to try and run Overwatch/Fortnite uncapped and see how many FPS I get at 1080p with my current settings once my GPU is installed, to see if 240 constant is feasible. I'll come back later with the results.

Thanks!

Do they both have GSync?

Personally, I'd go for the 1440p. I'd take as much screen real estate as possible when coding.

Also is the difference between 144hz and 240hz really noticeable? I don't really know, have yet to see a 240hz display IRL.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

As someone who is running a very similar setup to you, I run a 1440p monitor with very little issue on the gaming side.

For productivity, it's a measurable improvement, but then again, i'd opt for 4k if this were my primary concern.

As @bleedblue above me mentioned, however, GSync is what completes the 60+hz world for me. Games still feel baby-butt smooth even for those titles or sections where I'm not hitting my hard cap.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

As someone who is very much into their competitive FPS I would still probably go for the 144hz 1440p. I do enjoy watching Netflix and the like on my computer and I think this would be benefitted by the higher resolution/larger screen. Plus games looking sharper would be a benefit. The PUBG youtuber Wacky Jacky says he can see people more easily with the higher resolution. So there's that. Granted I have never used a 240hz screen so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

i would go for 1440p at 144hz i mean if you passed the 120hz you should be fine plus 240hz is a lot so yeah plus 1440p at 144hz is more balanced in my opinion

For the 1440p screen, should I go for a TN or IPS panel? IPS is much more expensive, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Is the difference really that big when sitting right in front of the monitor?

1440p @ 144hz please.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

1 minute ago, Kywim said:

For the 1440p screen, should I go for a TN or IPS panel? IPS is much more expensive, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Is the difference really that big when sitting right in front of the monitor?

And IPS pls.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

2 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

And IPS pls.

Can you elaborate? Because yeah IPS is nice, but IPS is a 200€ premium. IPS can come with issues such as BLB so I'm not sure if I want one. What's so good with IPS when you compare it to a equivalent TN panel? Both are 99% sRGB, so aside from viewing angle, what's so great  about it?

5 minutes ago, Kywim said:

if you watch from an angle and dont care about the a bit less of reaction time go for ips but if you care a lot about response time and dont watch from an angle go for tn and if your on a budget go for tn as well so basically ips has better viewing angles from but less response time and it refreshes slower than tn but tn on the other hand refreshes faster has less response time but bad viewing angles

11 minutes ago, Kywim said:

A good TN is about equivalent to a mid range IPS. Mine is TN and I'm quite happy with it. There's a difference but not gigantic. Science Studio has a good video on it, but I'm on mobile so won't link it

That's an F in the profile pic

240Hz isn't really going to give you any competitive advantage, it's just snake oil beyond a certain point even if you can tell the difference. The same goes for response times, in the end what matters is your skill first and foremost and even at a professional level I don't think anyone has ever lost a game due to an extra millisecond of response time. It certainly helps to have a smoother framerate but there's a limit. I'd go for the 1440p monitor. If you have doubts about scaling, I have a link in my signature to a post I made precisely about that.

4 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

A good TN is about equivalent to a mid range IPS

I disagree, there certainly are good TNs that are just fine but almost any IPS panel will be superior in terms of viewing angles and colors.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Okay, and how is IPS in FPSs? Is it more prone to ghosting?

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

240Hz isn't really going to give you any competitive advantage, it's just snake oil beyond a certain point even if you can tell the difference. The same goes for response times, in the end what matters is your skill first and foremost and even at a professional level I don't think anyone has ever lost a game due to an extra millisecond of response time.

I wouldn't say that 240Hz is snake oil, but unless you play at a pro or semi-pro level, the difference it makes is negligible and pretty much not worth considering. I've played in the top 1% and I definitely wouldn't consider my 144Hz monitor to be the reason I couldn't climb to Top 500.

Response time is basically snake oil, though, but most people seem to confuse response time with input latency, or at least, I used to. You can usually shave it down in most games, it helps a teeny bit but not enough to make purchase decisions around it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Right now my worry with ips is the ghosting. Is IPS more prone to ghosting compared to TN? That might influence my purchase decision quite a bit.