HDR not working. Spent 100$ on HDMI cable

Silliconcrayon
Go to solution Solved by Silliconcrayon,

OK GUYS i'VE SOLVED THE ISSUE. WOWWWWWW .. man . it' snot about 2.1 2.0 at all .. shit man .. now I use 2.1 12 bits YC all sort of things highest setting ..with this cable there was a hidden setting of enabling enhanced HDMI in sony TV .. omg .. WOOWWW ... not am gonna return this shit and buy some cheap cable .. and woow hoo babyyyy ... all solved it wasn't at all about cable .. hidden setting if anyone else has this problem and using a TV please check all the setting .. for me only HDMI port 2, 3 can enable hdmi ..and there was an option to turn on enhanced hdmi things. now I can chose the highest setting without any problems and enjoy awesome HDR on this awesome TV woooooooooo . hit the jackpot ... again thank you everyone who has helped me through the technical aspects. WOOOOOOOooooo haha thanksss WOOooo

SOLVED

I'm unable to turn HDR toggle in windows 10 when I do so it turn back to off automatically. The only way I can do that is by lowing hertz to 30. It turns on automatically and I can chose many options for color in Nvidia control panel. So i thought my Hdmi cable is not capable of running that much of data so I bought Belkin high speed 2.1 Cable which can trasnfer 48 GBPS of data and imo it should solve my issue but it didn't. I still for some unknown reason can't turn the toggle button to on with 4K @ 60hertz , resolution doesn't matter in my case only hertz makes the difference only way I can do YCBcr 444 or RBG is to turn hertz to 30 otherwise I do not get any option to chose in Nvidia control panel only one option that is YCbcr420 I still can't get 10 bit color depth of anything like that please help me

MY specs
Sony 55" 4K TV model : x90f
GPU : gtx 1080 with latest drivers
Windows 10
Very high speed belkin "2.1" HDMI cable
ETC ETC

Please somebody find me a solution , btw colors look faded and washed out in HDR on destop and applications when i do 30hertz but looks fine in videos

NEVER spend 100$ on an hdmi cable... digital cables will all perform exactly the same until they break, and when they break they simply won't work anymore regardless of how much you paid for them.

Your gtx 1080 doesn't even support hdmi 2.1... it only supports up to hdmi 2.0b, which can't do ycbcr 444 at 4k 60hz. If your TV supports displayport, try using that... otherwise you'll have to live with 30hz or without hdr.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

return the cable and never buy anything from Belkin, they are notorious for overcharging for basic cables.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

35 minutes ago, Silliconcrayon said:

I'm unable to turn HDR toggle in windows 10 when I do so it turn back to off automatically. The only way I can do that is by lowing hertz to 30. It turns on automatically and I can chose many options for color in Nvidia control panel. So i thought my Hdmi cable is not capable of running that much of data so I bought Belkin high speed 2.1 Cable which can trasnfer 48 GBPS of data and imo it should solve my issue but it didn't. I still for some unknown reason can't turn the toggle button to on with 4K @ 60hertz , resolution doesn't matter in my case only hertz makes the difference only way I can do YCBcr 444 or RBG is to turn hertz to 30 otherwise I do not get any option to chose in Nvidia control panel only one option that is YCbcr420 I still can't get 10 bit color depth of anything like that please help me

MY specs
Sony 55" 4K TV model : x90f
GPU : gtx 1080 with latest drivers
Windows 10
Very high speed belkin "2.1" HDMI cable
ETC ETC

Please somebody find me a solution , btw colors look faded and washed out in HDR on destop and applications when i do 30hertz but looks fine in videos

Your GTX 1080 doesn't support HDMI 2.1.

Your TV doesn't have Display Port.

My solution :

1. Upgrade the GPU

2. Get a TV/Monitor with Display Port

3. Return the cable and get any other cheaper cables instead. $100 is seriously a ripoff.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

Why did you buy a $100 HDMI cable? It's not any better than normal cheaper cables.

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

HDMI 2.0 can't do 4K 60fps 4:4:4 at 10 bit colour depth. This article here might help clarify why:

http://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2017/06/22/4k-60-444-hdr

Return the cable while you still can ($100 for an HDMI cable is absolutely absurd), get a perfectly fine <$10 one (e.g. Amazon Basics, monoprice), and make the choice for your TV of what you want to sacrifice (chroma subsampling? 10 bit? etc). I'd recommend dropping down to 4:2:2 from 4:4:4 as you're unlikely to be able to see the difference at TV viewing distance.

After reading comments I'm so F'ed ...I never thought of this. I was assuming gtx 1080 is the most mordern thing and can accept Hdmi 2.1 Never once did o thought of this possibility. The extra cost for cable is for imports and heavy heavy custom duty and taxes the cable is still pretty much expensive nearly about 39 $ ..DAm son I'm so f'ed can't even return it ..bought it overseas :'(
now my question my friends is what if I buy a hdmi to DP covertor will that help me get a HDR ?? because my TV doesn't support DP :( ..dam freak ..am so screwed :( :'( ... I've spent so much ..what a fool :( ..thank you guys btw will that converter thing work

I'm so screwed please tell me if I can get HDMI to DP 1.4 converter will that help me solve all the issues ? and max what my GPU support is 2.0b port so doesn't that mean this 2.1 cable should work as 2.0b atleast and for that matter I should be able to get at least HDR at 60 hertz 8 bits and stuffs ?? what is this cable working as .. the max speed of this cable ?? would be ?? somebody please explain .. btw thank you to everyone  ...I feel incredibly sorry for myself .. returning the cable is not an option and I had saved money for months to buy this .. dam am so dead :/

PS: suggest converter type and model or brand ..any technical stuff that i should know before making another stupid move. Sorry for bad English too :| 

https://www.amazon.in/Cables-Kart-Display-HDMI-Converter/dp/B01LNJ8VXE?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=a3632d06-4d2f-4cde-af46-b3c5e56eea09

How about this port should this work without compromising the quality of my Hdmi speed ?? Sorry for bothering .. love to all .. and hate to me haha ... I've never thought I would be this dumb. Now Help me my friends, anyone is WAY above my IQ ... :D .. again love to all and HELP your retarded friend here

Good news guys. I've talked to the company and they are ready to refund me the total amount including the taxes and free shipping so WoW.. . My last question should I buy 2.0a or 2.0b cable ..will it work with all 12 BPC depth and RBC full rage and 32 bits ? or buy a Hdmi to DP converter that can do 4K at 60 hertz because I already have a 2.0 Cable ..what is the best option now ?

HDMI 2.0 is a standard. Cables are not 'HDMI 2.0' or 'HDMI 1.4' or whatever. Just get an Amazon basics HDMI cable or whatever.

A converter won't work... so don't bother.

Just reduce the chroma subsampling (drop to 4:2:2) and you can still get 10bit 4K 60fps. I bet you won't tell the difference if you're not very close to the screen.

1 minute ago, ImpulseRez said:

HDMI 2.0 is a standard. Cables are not 'HDMI 2.0' or 'HDMI 1.4' or whatever. Just get an Amazon basics HDMI cable or whatever.

A converter won't work... so don't bother.

Just reduce the chroma subsampling (drop to 4:2:2) and you can still get 10bit 4K 60fps. I bet you won't tell the difference if you're not very close to the screen.

The problem is I've had that 2.0 and still couldn't chose between color format and anything above 8 bits BPC ..even with this 2.1 cable I'm unable to do so unless I do very low on resolutions

10 minutes ago, Silliconcrayon said:

The problem is I've had that 2.0 and still couldn't chose between color format and anything above 8 bits BPC ..even with this 2.1 cable I'm unable to do so unless I do very low on resolutions

Ah yes, my bad. I mean 4:2:0. That's the highest supported at 10bit 4K 60fps on HDMI 2.0 (nothing to do with the cable, all to do with the standard. Any ~$10 cable will support the required bandwidth).

See the table in this link for what your choices are:

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#146

Your TV is also HDMI 2.0 I think, so that's why displayport adapters wouldn't work also.

I'd still recommend going to 4:2:0 subsampling to maintain the other goodness if you aren't prepared to drop any of the other things. I still bet you won't notice...

2 minutes ago, ImpulseRez said:

Ah yes, my bad. I mean 4:2:0. That's the highest supported at 10bit 4K 60fps on HDMI 2.0 (nothing to do with the cable, all to do with the standard. Any ~$10 cable will support the required bandwidth).

See the table in this link for what your choices are:

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx#146

Your TV is also HDMI 2.0 I think, so that's why displayport adapters wouldn't work also.

I'd still recommend going to 4:2:0 subsampling to maintain the other goodness

Thank you so much cleared so many questions here. I was so baffled and confused and couldn't find the solution anywhere else either as to what went wrong ..now I see my GPU isn't capable. And btw so I should not even bother with 2.0b and stuff ..all I need is 18gbps transfer data speed right ? or I heard 2.0 does only 10bgps .. or am wrong here too. So much technical stuff these days .. woww

1 minute ago, Silliconcrayon said:

Thank you so much cleared so many questions here. I was so baffled and confused and couldn't find the solution anywhere else either as to what went wrong ..now I see my GPU isn't capable. And btw so I should not even bother with 2.0b and stuff ..all I need is 18gbps transfer data speed right ? or I heard 2.0 does only 10bgps .. or am wrong here too. So much technical stuff these days .. woww

Yeah pretty much, and pretty much any HDMI cable nowadays will work fine with HDMI 2.0. Just get one that says 'HDMI High Speed', no need to spend $100! (My last HDMI cable cost ~$5 and works perfectly with my HDMI 2.0 TV).

The regular old HDMI cables were limited to 10gbps.. so as I said, just get one marketed as 'high speed'. Spend $10 if you want the peace of mind.

And it's a combination of your GPU and your TV not being capable (but this goes for most TVs). TVs are normally designed for TV/Movies, which would be 24fps 4K 10bit in most cases for UHD bluray for example (and movies also don't need 4:4:4 generally, as it's usually only noticeable on tiny text), so there's not much of a demand for making them run at 4:4:4 4K 60fps 10bit.

Some TVs are capable nowadays, but most are not. Basically, don't worry about it :)

Please clear one more doubt you implanted in me. How do you know My tv which is Sony x90f release date is 2018 doesn't support hdmi 2.1 ? I can't find that information anywhere in specs ..what is the max it can support 2.0b ? 2.0 ? how do I know that ? and if so why those thick head told me it's an HDR 4K @ 60 hertz 12 bits and stuffs ..how do i get that max stuffs. ?

1 minute ago, Silliconcrayon said:

Please clear one more doubt you implanted in me. How do you know My tv which is Sony x90f release date is 2018 doesn't support hdmi 2.1 ? I can't find that information anywhere in specs ..what is the max it can support 2.0b ? 2.0 ? how do I know that ? and if so why those thick head told me it's an HDR 4K @ 60 hertz 12 bits and stuffs ..how do i get that max stuffs. ?

I don't know (I can't find it online.. probably is in your manual somewhere), I'm just guessing because it's still rare in 2018 TVs.

And as shown in the HDMI 2.0 spec table I linked previously, you can do HDR 4K 60Hz 12 bit, but at reduced chroma levels (something most consumers don't care about... and honestly it's not super noticeable for most applications, especially for a TV)

Thank you so much brother. I'm marking it as solved thread now. I've spent so much reading about it and stuff still couldn't figure out ... THANK YOU for your time. I'm buying a dam cheap 2.0 and returning this shit as soon as possible. I don't understand tho why this 2.1 wouldn't work as 2.0 at least so that I can do HDR @ 60 hertz for the time I have this cable with me. Doesn't matter anymore I guess I'm getting rid of this shit .. saved me so much time and money . 100 $ richer today <3 :D ..thank you again .. God bless you all guys enjoy \m/ 

14 minutes ago, ImpulseRez said:

something most consumers don't care about... and honestly it's not super noticeable for most applications, especially for a TV

While that's true, I find it a little sleazy of them to market it as HDR when it doesn't really fit the spec. Not that they're the only ones to do it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• Yes (Up to 3840x2160/60p 10bit)

Manufatures website.

If they can get your cash, they will. Did you specifically ask for that feature when buying? Then don't expect them to have it... and even if they replied "yes", did the sales assistant ask Sony. IIRC not many panels actually do 12 bit, or the processor is more expensive (See Linus Reviews a little while back on PC monitors being really expensive for the 12 bit versions).

(From my experience, asking the national Sales Manager OF Sony, Samsung or Panasonic just got sales spiel answers... so never ever trust sales people. ;) ).

PS, oh, they will market anything as ANYTHING now. I see 100% sugar sweets as "healthy, fat free!" and 100% fat treats (yogurt etc) as "healthy, sugar free!". xD

3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Manufatures website.

If they can get your cash, they will. Did you specifically ask for that feature when buying? Then don't expect them to have it... and even if they replied "yes", did the sales assistant ask Sony.

(From my experience, asking the national Sales Manager OF Sony, Samsung or Panasonic just got sales spiel answers... so never ever trust sales people. ;) ).

Yes I've asked them and more to that I know for a fact Tv is HDR capable for 12 bits whatever that shit is ... I'm confused here now even tho I have cable that is 2.1 and is not support by my GPU shouldn't it work as atleast 2.0 cable and if it does then why I'm still unable to do HDR @ 60 hertz at 4K ?? Why am still restricted to 30hertz ?? 8 BPC and YCBcr 420 while in theory i should get 10 bit and all doesn't matter to me anymor eI just want 60 hertz hdr and 4K that's all ... so why not ???

5 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Manufatures website.

Yeah, never usually tell you whether that's at 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 or what... technically it's sneaky I think, but generally people won't notice/care which I guess is why they can get away with it..

OK GUYS i'VE SOLVED THE ISSUE. WOWWWWWW .. man . it' snot about 2.1 2.0 at all .. shit man .. now I use 2.1 12 bits YC all sort of things highest setting ..with this cable there was a hidden setting of enabling enhanced HDMI in sony TV .. omg .. WOOWWW ... not am gonna return this shit and buy some cheap cable .. and woow hoo babyyyy ... all solved it wasn't at all about cable .. hidden setting if anyone else has this problem and using a TV please check all the setting .. for me only HDMI port 2, 3 can enable hdmi ..and there was an option to turn on enhanced hdmi things. now I can chose the highest setting without any problems and enjoy awesome HDR on this awesome TV woooooooooo . hit the jackpot ... again thank you everyone who has helped me through the technical aspects. WOOOOOOOooooo haha thanksss WOOooo

SOLVED