Updating older system GPU

Ali18

I have an older system I built back in 2013. Trying to get back in and figuring out if its worth upgrading some components. Main item I am looking to upgrade is the GPU. I have a GTX680 which is slow.

Here are the specs:

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 board
32 GB RAM DDR3
EVGA GTX680
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5ghz
Corsair HX 850 850 watts 

Given the specs can I put in a GTX 1080? will I have bottlenecking issues with the setup? I want to push 1440p and use G-Sync.

Ive havent been gaming in a while, can this setup hold up with current titles?

Thanks

Yes.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

You'll be fine with that upgrade. However, given the age of the system, it might be time for a power supply upgrade.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

You'll be fine with that upgrade. However, given the age of the system, it might be time for a power supply upgrade.

Thanks. Power supply replacement for compatibility or just life span? I figure 850 watts should be enough to power a 1080 GPU.

8 minutes ago, Ali18 said:

Thanks. Power supply replacement for compatibility or just life span? I figure 850 watts should be enough to power a 1080 GPU.

Lifespan. Feel free to drop it to like 650w

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Overclock that 3770K and you shouldn't have any issues with bottlenecking a 1080 unless you're running strictly 1080p 60Hz. Even my 4790k "bottlenecks" 1080 a bit at 1080p, it's just not demanding enough for a 1080 to work hard.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

1 hour ago, Ali18 said:

Given the specs can I put in a GTX 1080? will I have bottlenecking issues with the setup?

You're good to go. Maybe oc your 3770k, but this combo will be fine.

Thanks all for the quick replies. Now just to decide on which 1080 ti to get... :S

I decided on the Asus Strix 1080ti OC. Without over clocking the CPU will I have issues? 

9 minutes ago, Ali18 said:

I decided on the Asus Strix 1080ti OC. Without over clocking the CPU will I have issues? 

Overclocking would help you out a bit, but in most cases you should be alright.

Primary PC:

Thanks I do have plans of building a new PC in the future so this card should last a while.

1 minute ago, Ali18 said:

Success. Those frame rates sure went up!

IMG_20180915_162613.jpg

Congratulations! Enjoy your new, (at least for now) top-of-the-line graphics card!