Best CPU for high end flight sims in VR?

People always say that your CPU doesn't matter as much for gaming, but with high end flight sims the sky's the limit with how hard you can push your processor with stuff like number of objects, trees, weather, grass, etc.

I'm wondering if high core count processors like threadripper and higher end AMD/Intel processors with more cores fair better in these games or whether or not they even take advantage of those extra cores.

We always hear that the 8700k is best for gaming, but is that true for these types of games too?

Does anyone have experience playing X-plane 11, Aerofly FS-2, DCS world, or il-2 sturmovik in VR with a high core count processor?

Can you watch your CPU core usage while playing these games and let me know if they're using every core?

Or if you just have any insight what-so-ever or experience with both a high single core performance processor versus a high core count processor with these types of games, I'd like to hear it :)

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

People always say that your CPU doesn't matter much for gaming

who says that?

32 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

People always say that your CPU doesn't matter as much for gaming, but with high end flight sims the sky's the limit with how hard you can push your processor with stuff like number of objects, trees, weather, grass, etc.

I'm wondering if high core count processors like threadripper and higher end AMD/Intel processors with more cores fair better in these games or whether or not they even take advantage of those extra cores.

We always hear that the 8700k is best for gaming, but is that true for these types of games too?

Does anyone have experience playing X-plane 11, Aerofly FS-2, DCS world, or il-2 sturmovik in VR with a high core count processor?

Can you watch your CPU core usage while playing these games and let me know if they're using every core?

Or if you just have any insight what-so-ever or experience with both a high single core performance processor versus a high core count processor with these types of games, I'd like to hear it :)

Yeah, I'm not sure about the first part but anyway here are some of my recommendations. AMD:1700/2700  INTEL: 8700/8700k

43 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?pid=2506&cpu=Core i7-8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz

27 minutes ago, emosun said:

who says that?

I think what OP means is, in the gaming category once your reach a certain level of CPU you don't really see too much performance improvement if you go to a higher or even newer a generation sometimes. Sure it matters but as long as you get something descent your video card is usually the cause of bottlenecks.

For x-plane I suggest the 8700k because It has enough cores but higher clockspeeds. My 1600 uses like 3-4 cores and is holding back my RX580. If you have an High budget I suggest the 8700K or 8700

Tag me @mbox or quote me if you want me to read

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 @3.9GHz  MOBO Asus Prime X370 Pro  GPU XFX RX 580 GTS XXX 8GB

COOLER Noctua NH-U12S  RAM 2x4GB HyperX Predator 3000 MHz  SSD Samsung 850 evo 250GB  CASE NZXT s340

MONITOR 1 AOC G2590PX MONITOR 2 LG 29WN600

18 hours ago, coyotetracker said:

Wow, it's saying that 16gb of ram is only 50 percent of what's recommended for xplane 11?

We may have just found a game that's worthy of 32gb of ram :P

https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?pid=2506&cpu=Core i7-8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz

4 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Wow, it's saying that 16gb of ram is only 50 percent of what's recommended for xplane 11?

We may have just found a game that's worthy of 32gb of ram :P

I'm flying with 8gb atm, I really need the prices to go down!

COOLER Noctua NH-U12S  RAM 2x4GB HyperX Predator 3000 MHz  SSD Samsung 850 evo 250GB  CASE NZXT s340

18 hours ago, mbox said:

I'm flying with 8gb atm, I really need the prices to go down!

Like 20% tariffs are about to come into effect on computer components if you're American so I'd buy now if you are. Just heard about that on gamersnexus last night.

21 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Like 20% tariffs are about to come into effect on computer components if you're American so I'd buy now if you are. Just heard about that on gamersnexus last night.

Yep heard that too but luckly I live in Europe

With the exception of Aerofly the game/sim engines in these are quite old so single core performance is important. 

For AMD I would only go with a 2700x or 2600x. Thes chips have about the same ISP as i7 Skylake chip.

I mainly use FSX. My frame rate is the same at 4k & 1440 resolution. The sim is all CPU. 

I recommend that you drop your resolution & see what difference it makes in frame rate. If your frame rate stays about the same, buy the CPU with the highest IPS you can afford.

I use these charts to pick CPUs.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r15_single_core-7

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

50 minutes ago, jones177 said:

With the exception of Aerofly the game/sim engines in these are quite old so single core performance is important. 

For AMD I would only go with a 2700x or 2600x. Thes chips have about the same ISP as i7 Skylake chip.

I mainly use FSX. My frame rate is the same at 4k & 1440 resolution. The sim is all CPU. 

I recommend that you drop your resolution & see what difference it makes in frame rate. If your frame rate stays about the same, buy the CPU with the highest IPS you can afford.

I use these charts to pick CPUs.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r15_single_core-7

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I'm running them in VR so I definitely don't want to drop the resolution. 

It's only X-plane 11 that's giving me trouble actually and that's due to it still using opengl. My GPU and CPU usage aren't even 50% in that game and it's still choppy so that's just a matter of waiting for Vulkan/proper directx support.

Thanks for the info though.

I think I'm going to either go with the 8700k, wait for the 9700k or maybe even make myself suffer and wait for intel to fix their 10nm problems.

I'm absolutely torn lately over this :P

On 9/6/2018 at 11:08 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

I'm running them in VR so I definitely don't want to drop the resolution. 

It's only X-plane 11 that's giving me trouble actually and that's due to it still using opengl. My GPU and CPU usage aren't even 50% in that game and it's still choppy so that's just a matter of waiting for Vulkan/proper directx support.

Thanks for the info though.

I think I'm going to either go with the 8700k, wait for the 9700k or maybe even make myself suffer and wait for intel to fix their 10nm problems.

I'm absolutely torn lately over this :P

I bought the i7 8066K for sims. They are the only apps that I know that utilizes the IPC. I get the best performance at 5ghz on all cores. My i7 8700k is not up to it without silly heat.

I will probably replace my i7 8700k with a 9700k or 9900k. A cool 5ghz is the way to go.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

On 9/9/2018 at 12:59 PM, jones177 said:

I bought the i7 8066K for sims. They are the only apps that I know that utilizes the IPC. I get the best performance at 5ghz on all cores. My i7 8700k is not up to it without silly heat.

I will probably replace my i7 8700k with a 9700k or 9900k. A cool 5ghz is the way to go.

Yea, I'm looking at intel now too for sure, but I'm having a hard time justifying buying whiskey lake when ice lake is a lithography shrink that'll make a much bigger difference when the 10nm chips are finally ready... then again, how many times has 10nm been delayed now? I could be waiting a while. Ughh...I wish intel would do what AMD does with sockets and actually be able to guarantee that you'll be able to upgrade CPUs later on for like at least 4-5 years without upgrading your motherboard and all that too. I get that it's not really feasible with the lithography shrink, but I hope at least once we switch to 10nm, we can stick to that socket type for a while.