WD red pro or Wd red

ringo

I was planning to buy WD red 2tb for multimedia storage but I saw very good deal for wd red pro 4tb. I don`t need extra TB but it will come in handy in future. I saw that 2TB is 5400rpm (noise max 25db) while wd red pro 4tb is 7200rpm (idle 29db, seek 36db). I have Define R5 so I am little worried will pro version be too loud for my silent case/ and silent environment?  Besides that wd pro can be used for ordinary storage (not NAS), no drawbacks?

I would get the pro for a few reasons:

• Faster RPM and larger cache so it'll be more responsive
  • more TB for the future
  • better warranty than standard red (3yr vs 5yr)

So in short if they are about the same price I'd say the Pro wins every time even if it was the same capacity

1 minute ago, royalba94 said:

I would get the pro for a few reasons:

• Faster RPM and larger cache so it'll be more responsive
  • more TB for the future
  • better warranty than standard red (3yr vs 5yr)

So in short if they are about the same price I'd say the Pro wins every time even if it was the same capacity

What about noise? I now have WD green 20EARX which is barely audible. Can anyone form first hand tell me is wd red pro loud?

3 minutes ago, ringo said:

What about noise? I now have WD green 20EARX which is barely audible. Can anyone form first hand tell me is wd red pro loud?

Ah, forgot to address that - I've had several Red Pro drives and they are not much (if any) louder than any other drives I've used so I don't think you'd need to worry about the noise esp. since you're putting them in a Define R5 which is pretty good at managing noise.

I'll listen to them again tonight when I get home to be sure but I'm pretty confident the fans are louder than the drives.

1 minute ago, royalba94 said:

Ah, forgot to address that - I've had several Red Pro drives and they are not much (if any) louder than any other drives I've used so I don't think you'd need to worry about the noise esp. since you're putting them in a Define R5 which is pretty good at managing noise.

I'll listen to them again tonight when I get home to be sure but I'm pretty confident the fans are louder than the drives.

ok, thanks. I just want to be sure that it won`t destroy my silent case harmony xD

23 hours ago, ringo said:

Reds are quieter than Greens. Red Pros are noisy and I wouldn't recommend using one if you're aiming for quiet. I'm currently waiting for a 8TB Red sale to replace my 6TB Red Pro solely to get noise back to what it was before when I was running 2 / 3TB Reds. I'm current running my drives suspended in foam blocks but the Red Pro is still too noisy for my preference. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.