ticking noise when connected to router

Airpewdiepie
Go to solution Solved by intender,

when you first connect a drive to the router its going to index the files.  this will usually take anywhere from 10min to 45min depending on the size and speed of the drive and how full it is.   also you can look in your router to see if it has indexing options or also options to let the hdd spin down and sleep after a while.  A lot of routers will keep network drives spinning pretty much all the time by default. 

i tried to connect it. all i heard was ticks.

i connected it to pc, all good, even phone worked perfect.

what could cause it i have used other storage devices and all worked flawlessly

I assume you mean your Hard Drive?

Primarily, what is on the drive? If it is, for example, a game drive, this could be updates that are writing to the drive as your connected to the internet, or if it is your OS drive, well that makes less sense as it should tick constantly as windows pulls things to the RAM. Basically, what is the drive used for, when did this start, make and model of the drive and what is your version of Windows.

Friendly reminder to actually properly inform people of the problem your having so we can help

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

I assume you mean your Hard Drive?

Primarily, what is on the drive? If it is, for example, a game drive, this could be updates that are writing to the drive as your connected to the internet, or if it is your OS drive, well that makes less sense as it should tick constantly as windows pulls things to the RAM. Basically, what is the drive used for, when did this start, make and model of the drive and what is your version of Windows.

Friendly reminder to actually properly inform people of the problem your having so we can help

no. its connected to the router. like a nas. it is nas but only with a usb cable

Just now, Airpewdiepie said:

no. its connected to the router. like a nas. it is nas but only with a usb cable

Ok, this is a drive error. Linus goes into detail on these exact issues in this video:

So basically (tl;dr) Your drive may not be dead, but it might be dying. It is strongly recommended to backup ALL critical data if you cannot copy everything off the drive and either fix or replace the drive. What your drive is experiencing is that one of the write heads has malfunctioned, causing it to hit against the side of the casing, or some other element, making that clicking sound. You can get it fixed but if its just a cheap USB Hard Drive, you may want to just get a new one as a repair may actually cost more and is not very easy. It is however, possible (see above linked video)

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

Ok, this is a drive error. Linus goes into detail on these exact issues in this video:

So basically (tl;dr) Your drive may not be dead, but it might be dying. It is strongly recommended to backup ALL critical data if you cannot copy everything off the drive and either fix or replace the drive. What your drive is experiencing is that one of the write heads has malfunctioned, causing it to hit against the side of the casing, or some other element, making that clicking sound. You can get it fixed but if its just a cheap USB Hard Drive, you may want to just get a new one as a repair may actually cost more and is not very easy. It is however, possible (see above linked video)

when i connect it to pc, or my phone then it is ok. but when i connect it to router it makes the ticking noise

when you first connect a drive to the router its going to index the files.  this will usually take anywhere from 10min to 45min depending on the size and speed of the drive and how full it is.   also you can look in your router to see if it has indexing options or also options to let the hdd spin down and sleep after a while.  A lot of routers will keep network drives spinning pretty much all the time by default. 

2 minutes ago, Airpewdiepie said:

when i connect it to pc, or my phone then it is ok. but when i connect it to router it makes the ticking noise

I'm not an expert but that sound is a definitive indication that your drive is failing. You can search up "Hard Drive click" on Google if you don't believe me. Personally I would assume it has to do with the way your Router handles the drive, (theorising here) keeping it constantly spun up for faster data transfer. There are free tools online that you can find that will scan your drive's health which will allow you to determine if your drive is failing. That you will need to Google, although I believe Seagate has a free tool but it is not specific to Seagate drives.

Bow down to me humans.