Problem with installing new OS on SSD while keeping old OS on HDD.

ilikefood

Hello.

In my PC I have 2 HDD's (one for storage and one for old windows) and one SSD. I installed windows 10 on my SSD while keeping my old HDD intact with windows 8.1 to transfer the files I needed (I knew it was a bad choice even back then but decided to try it).

While I had no problems in the beginning (set SSD priority 1 on BIOS etc), I changed my case a while after and the problems started. First the boot manager appeared and asked me if I wanted to boot from Windows 8.1 or windows 10. Then I checked the BIOS, and the one I use for storage was used as boot option 1 for some reason. Nevertheless, windows 10 booted normally. But the boot manager kept bugging me. So after some search I decided to set my 2 HDDs as inactive from CMD. Bad call. My PC wouldn't boot at all with the message "No operating system found....press ctrl alt del to restart" at the BIOS. Strange thing is that even after I removed both my HDDs and left only the SSD, my PC wouldnt boot again.  Anyway I managed to reboot by bootable usb with windows -> cmd-> set 2 HDDs active again.

My question now is, can I make my SSD the only bootable device and turn my old HDD to storage only, without losing any files in the process? And if that's not possible, what is the next best thing that I can do? 

Thank you.

1 minute ago, ZeouLs said:

Did you check your boot order?

After changing my case, whenever I set the SSD as boot option 1 the same message appears "No operating system found....press ctrl alt del to restart". Forgot to mention it. Maybe I changed the SATA ports for each disk while reconnecting them but that can cause an issue?

Mh might be that your Win10 image got corrupted on the SSD. Try copying all your files off the ssd on one of the HDDs and reformat it.

3 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

Mh might be that your Win10 image got corrupted on the SSD. Try copying all your files off the ssd on one of the HDDs and reformat it.

I am afraid I cannot do that right now because I use some huge programs for my university+dont have much space on my HDDs. But since my SSD's windows 10 boot normally,  through the boot manager could they be corrupted? Seems to me like an issue with the other disks too. Could I try repairing my w10 somehow or try some quicker solution for now?

It's only problem with booting partition that is located on HDD, not on SSD. Boot computer with only SSD and use Windows installation disk to repair boot.

Next time before new install, unplug old drive.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It's only problem with booting partition that is located on HDD, not on SSD. Boot computer with only SSD and use Windows installation disk to repair boot.

Next time before new install, unplug old drive.

Alright I will try that. To repair boot, I boot from usb with w10 and I use this option?:

wbe_5

Not really, but you can try this one.

If donesn't help - use USB installation disk and use repair boot there.