8gb Total but only 3.99 usable for Win10 w/ 1156

Go to solution Solved by DogKnight,

Think I found the answer. You'll need to figure out how to update your BIOS. From MSI's website:

image.png.28db8404948fa47fa968fa7758585a5b.png

PDF Guide how to: https://www.msi.com/files/pdf/How_to_flash_the_BIOS.pdf

YouTube video how to: 

I have a new build inspired by Ryan, Wendell and Tech Yes City.

I have an
i5 760
MSI p55 GD65 Bios v1.11
fsp silver 750w
8gb ram
Windows 10 Pro

Ive done all the google searchable solutions. Nothing seems to work. The only things i havent tried is:

-flashing the bios because i dont understand MSI’s instructions on how to flash but ive tried the same method with my gigabyte z77 board. It just doesnt read the bootable flash drive same as the M-flash method

-Use Win 7 as the OS. I think the reason it reads only 3.99gb usable is because 1st gen only has up to win 7 support, although Ive tried both Win 10 & 8.1 and both has only 3.99gb usable.

Ive also happened to make it read 8gb total usable but after rebooting it returns back to 3.99gb usable.

Btw, this only happened when I freshly installed a new OS then I tried to run Witcher 3 and it was so laggy.

Although the 1st time ive tested the system after buying it from the previous owner, I was able to run FFXV, with my boot ssd, just fine

Is it all detected in the BIOS? If it is you've got a configuration the board doesn't like. Try moving the sticks around to different slots. If it's not, you either have a dead slot or a dead DIMM.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Are you running 1 stick or 2 sticks of RAM?

im running 2 sticks on slots 2 and 4. if i put it on 1 and 3 it wont post

3 minutes ago, Leinad4400 said:

Is it all detected in the BIOS? If it is you've got a configuration the board doesn't like. Try moving the sticks around to different slots. If it's not, you either have a dead slot or a dead DIMM.

yes theyre all detected in bios and it can also read up to 12gb with 3 slots used but still 3.99gb usable

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Alright, see if at least one of the slots or one of the sticks of RAM is faulty.

both are working fine

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

:thinking:

That's strange; are you running 32-bit Windows by any chance?

no. Ive tried win 8.1 and 10 at 64bit OS

Look for a setting called "(advanced) memory remap" in the BIOS and play with that. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Look for a setting called "(advanced) memory remap" in the BIOS and play with that. 

Ive tried looking for that, i dont think the early mobos had that feature

6 minutes ago, Chriszzz said:

download cpuz and check ur ram

it reads 8gb on cpuz but 3.99gb usable on task manager

Can you show us some screenshots? it might help us to get a better picture of what is going on.

My initial thoughts were a 32 Bit OS being installed, but could be a multitude of other things, have you tried to use a Linux live boot? and what does that show?

Does the Bios show the 8GB

have you tried to run a Memtest86? can create a bootable USB to test this.

Sorry it's a unit ive built for my brothers out of town. So my access to that pc is very limited. But I installed Win 8.1 and 10 64 bit myself. I havent tried the linux live boot. The Bios can read up to 12gb with 3 sticks but OS just does 3.99GB usable. Ive tried Memtest86 as well, it detects 8GB

I am having same issues, I bought an additional ram today (4gb 1600mhz,same speed different brand from the old one) BIOS only shows 4gb, but on windows it shows 8gb installed, but only 3.9 is usable

123.JPG

1234.JPG

54 minutes ago, 5859jr said:

I am having same issues, I bought an additional ram today (4gb 1600mhz,same speed different brand from the old one) BIOS only shows 4gb, but on windows it shows 8gb installed, but only 3.9 is usable

123.JPG

1234.JPG

[Update]
Fixed mine by CMOS reset

11 hours ago, 5859jr said:

[Update]
Fixed mine by CMOS reset

what platform are you using?

Really unlikely, but if you are using integrated graphics, it could be using a certain amount of memory as graphics memory. Usually that is limited to 1.5gb or less though. 

3 hours ago, DogKnight said:

Really unlikely, but if you are using integrated graphics, it could be using a certain amount of memory as graphics memory. Usually that is limited to 1.5gb or less though. 

i thought of that as well but the 1st gen doesnt have integrated graphics