HP deskjet 2542 unable to connect to wifi

Gabe Bal

Hey guys, 

I have a HP deskjet 2542 and when attempting to connect it to my laptop, it says that there is MAC address filtering enabled on my router. I don't know how to check my wifi settings for this option. I checked the settings and resetting the router settings multiple times already. I'm trying to connect it to an ASUS zenbook ux430, which I recently got. The odd part is that this has worked before, but now it does not.

hp wifi printer error.jpg

22 minutes ago, Gabe Bal said:

Hey guys, 

I have a HP deskjet 2542 and when attempting to connect it to my laptop, it says that there is MAC address filtering enabled on my router. I don't know how to check my wifi settings for this option. I checked the settings and resetting the router settings multiple times already. I'm trying to connect it to an ASUS zenbook ux430, which I recently got. The odd part is that this has worked before, but now it does not.

hp wifi printer error.jpg

what kind of wifi protocol are you running? will it work wired in?

if at first you don't break it you must have followed the directions

45 minutes ago, Onboard87 said:

what kind of wifi protocol are you running? will it work wired in?

If this doesn't work, you need to go into your router settings and either disable MAC filtering or add your printer to the list of trusted devices.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If this doesn't work, you need to go into your router settings and either disable MAC filtering or add your printer to the list of trusted devices.

some router are not set to accept older protocols like my comcast 1 gig box can not be seen by protocol b only agn and ac

9 minutes ago, Onboard87 said:

some router are not set to accept older protocols like my comcast 1 gig box can not be seen by protocol b only agn and ac

That's true.

That seems to be a fairly recent printer though, so older protocols shouldn't be a problem in theory...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's true.

That seems to be a fairly recent printer though, so older protocols shouldn't be a problem in theory...

but it's HP and after the issues i had with my pc and printer i would not be surprised that they cheapen out or uploaded a bad driver. they didnt even update my driver to windows 10. my realtek Bluetooth/wireless driver failed and there is no way to get it back all because it's HP software so no one else has it.