Canon T5i - Kit Lens vs. EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM for Video

Hey everyone,

I currently shoot classical guitar performance videos on my Canon T5i with the kit lens.  I did a bit of research and read good reviews about the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens.  It seems to be a good value for it's low price.  I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's enough of an upgrade from the kit lens for video to spend the $129.  Thanks so much!

Well, I ended up ordering the lens and if anyone's interested, can post kit lens vs. EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens video clips as comparison in this thread.

Kit lenses are pretty much not useful. Check out sigma or even Rokinon prime lenses. Also Tamron. The 24 mm pancake lens is good for $130, but maybe just start with a 35mm or canons nifty fifty. Their 50mm 1.8 for like $150? It’s pretty plastastic but it’s pretty amazing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I believe you made a good choice. The kit lenses aren't great for much. Primes are good as they are made to be really good at one focal length where a zoom needs to be acceptable at many. 

And on the first day god said: "Cue one GO" And there was light!

Thank you both for the input!  I am very satisfied with the performance of the lens for the price.  Definitely a nice step up from the kit lens!

• 2 weeks later...

The word I use to describe most kit lenses is "functional". 

I have one for my a6000 and while its optical quality is not great, it does serve its purpose and I have coaxed some breathtakingly pretty shots out of it from time to time. 

But going over to a fast prime is a boon for me, especially in situations where you don't have as much light. If you're not varying your focal length during video, a reasonably fast prime lens should do the job. 

As one person said, primes are made to excel at one focal length while most zoom lenses are made to be acceptably at a specific range of focal lengths. Some better zoom lenses are good at a portional range of focal lengths but goes down to acceptable quality at another, albeit at a pretty steep premium. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1