My friend can't connect to my server

FilipSebik
Go to solution Solved by FilipSebik,

Uninstalled old Java versions (almost broke down and reinstalled my windows cuz java BS)

Installed new java version and tried older minecraft and it works

So the solution is that newest minecraft has some sort of BS thing that disallows players to join

Hello, I want to play Minecraft with my friend but it always says: Connection Timed Out. When he tries to connect to my server. 

Things we tried: 
Allowing java, javaw and ports 25565 for TCP and UDP in firewall (on his PC too).

Portforwarding, using Hamachi or Zerotier and neither of them worked.

Restarting our PCs

I changed the IP in the server config to corresponding IPs to the apps or even blank sometimes

Turning off online mode and turning it on changes nothing

Disabling firewall is not an option because I don't want to and neither he does.

Everytime he wants to connect it just says that: "Player has joined"

and after like 20 sec it says: "Connection Lost: Timed Out" 

"Player has left the game"

I am able to connect to my server

Both my and his internet connection are fine but it seems that I can't ping his IP *Hamachi, Zerotier or his Public IP

He has LTE internet using a router and that router has a setting named SPI Firewall. If that is the case then he can turn it off because every PC has a firewall.

I have DSL internet. I have played with other friends using my server but it doesn't work with him

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks for help

Are the ports forwarded on your router?  Is your router getting a proper public IP address or a private CG-NAT address?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Are the ports forwarded on your router?  Is your router getting a proper public IP address or a private CG-NAT address?

Yes it is. The port is the same 25565 and I tried public IP and the one that my router assigned which is x.x.x.12

The first two digits are the important ones to tell.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The first two digits are the important ones to tell.

What else than the usual 192.168 /24

Those are the LAN address, what I was curious about is your WAN IP actually reported by the router itself.

Also have you made sure your PC has a static IP address (ideally static DHCP in the router) as otherwise it can change each time you boot up, causing the port forward to point to the wrong IP address.

2 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

What else than the usual 192.168 /24

192.168.xx.xx is your local address. Your friend can't connect to that unless you are on the same network. What you need to tell him is your public IP address.

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Those are the LAN address, what I was curious about is your WAN IP actually reported by the router itself.

Also have you made sure your PC has a static IP address (ideally static DHCP in the router) as otherwise it can change each time you boot up, causing the port forward to point to the wrong IP address.

Static DCHP set in router as well as in my PC 

1 minute ago, Loliplol said:

192.168.xx.xx is your local address. Your friend can't connect to that unless you are on the same network. What you need to tell him is your public IP address.

You mean the Public IP from https://www.whatismyip.com/ ? If that then yes I used that too

No the router itself, as if you are behind CG-NAT then that site will still show the public IP your ISP is routing you through, its not necessarily what your router is being assigned.

I'd be tempted to install something like a web server on your PC and port forward to that too, see if your friend can access that to test if the port forwarding is working or not.  Its pretty hard to be sure with games.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

No the router itself, as if you are behind CG-NAT then that site will still show the public IP your ISP is routing you through, its not necessarily what your router is being assigned.

Oh well, where the hell do I find that address?

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

@Alex Atkin UK summed up pretty well. Isn't it much simpler to find a free Minecraft server hosting site? Yes, they are limited to 5 or 10 players, but that's still too much for you and your friend. 

Look around in the router, I'd expect it to be mentioned somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Loliplol said:

@Alex Atkin UK summed up pretty well. Isn't it much simpler to find a free Minecraft server hosting site? Yes, they are limited to 5 or 10 players, but that's still too much for you and your friend. 

You mean the minecraft servers that nobody play on and are usually 0/10 everyday or the free ones that are Hourly instead of Monthly which is a term that I don't understand

Look around in the router, I'd expect it to be mentioned somewhere.

Actually even in the deepest darkest corner of my router settings, I didn't find anything close to that

Have you tried something like https://www.grc.com/shieldsup putting your Minecraft server port into the custom port section?

Just now, FilipSebik said:

You mean the minecraft servers that nobody play on and are usually 0/10 everyday or the free ones that are Hourly instead of Monthly which is a term that I don't understand

Hang on a bit, isn't this whole thread about your friend not being able to connect to your server? Which, to me, means that you want to play Minecraft with your friend on your server. So what is wrong with a free server with a maximum of 10 players if only you and your friend are going to play on it? Since you do know that you can not host Minecraft servers at home without static IP address which costs around $100 per month.

1 minute ago, Loliplol said:

Hang on a bit, isn't this whole thread about your friend not being able to connect to your server? Which, to me, means that you want to play Minecraft with your friend on your server. So what is wrong with a free server with a maximum of 10 players if only you and your friend are going to play on it? Since you do know that you can not host Minecraft servers at home without static IP address which costs around $100 per month.

Yes, I want to play minecraft with just him but it doesn't allow him to connect for some reason and other friends could connect when I played with them (it was like 1 year ago)

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you tried something like https://www.grc.com/shieldsup putting your Minecraft server port into the custom port section?

That website looks like it wants you to read it to use it which I don't like so no I didn't

17 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

That website looks like it wants you to read it to use it which I don't like so no I didn't

How do you expect to do something if you didn't inform yourself about it or at least read the tutorial on how to do it? Imagine if I went on to create a car, but was too lazy to read how do you make cars, study aerodynamics, mechanical engineering etc. Would that car work? Definitely no. Also, one thing working 1 year ago doesn't mean it still is and does work. Maybe your ISP changed something about your network, or you changed your router, updated firmware, heck Minecraft changed something.

I'm seriously confused. You want to do something but can't read a website tutorial which could potentially solve your problem.

18 minutes ago, Loliplol said:

They don't need a static IP so long as they can find out what their current IP address is before each gaming session and tell their friend, or use a dynamic DNS service.

Which makes me wonder now, are they actually telling their friend to connect to their public WAN IP address or their LAN one?

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

They don't need a static IP so long as they can find out what their current IP address is before each gaming session and tell their friend, or use a dynamic DNS service.

True, although that means the host has to have constant access to their PC to check their current IP address, which is kinda crap because maybe some friends want to play in the middle of the night, or he's not home etc. Dynamic DNS service is well nice, that's a great solution.

Just now, Loliplol said:

How do you expect to do something if you didn't inform yourself about it or at least read the tutorial on how to do it? Imagine if I went on to create a car, but was too lazy to read how do you make cars, study aerodynamics, mechanical engineering etc. Would that car work? Definitely no. Also, one thing working 1 year ago doesn't mean it still is and does work. Maybe your ISP changed something about your network, or you changed your router, updated firmware, heck Minecraft changed something.

I'm seriously confused. You want to do something but can't read a website tutorial which could potentially solve your problem. Interesting generation. 

Actually you made me use that site and it spit out this 

Stealth Unknown Protocol for this port
Unknown Application for this port

It could be Open, Closed or Stealth... 

I depend on intuition and if I think something won't work, 90% of the time it won't and this time it was the time it didn't work

Which makes me wonder now, are they actually telling their friend to connect to their public WAN IP address or their LAN one?

Public, LAN, hamachi and Zeropoint ones each time I changed the setting

Just now, Loliplol said:

True, although that means the host has to have constant access to their PC to check their current IP address, which is kinda crap because maybe some friends want to play in the middle of the night, or he's not home etc. Dynamic DNS service is well nice, that's a great solution.

I am not hosting 24/7 for my friends. If we are online and we agree to play together, I will fire up the server and we will play and it goes down as fast as we end the game

2 hours ago, FilipSebik said:

Public, LAN, hamachi and Zeropoint ones each time I changed the setting

I am not hosting 24/7 for my friends. If we are online and we agree to play together, I will fire up the server and we will play and it goes down as fast as we end the game

That's a really interesting situation you have there. Do you mind sharing your router model? Also, have you tried asking some of your other friends if they can connect? It could be a security thingy not allowing your friend to do it.

16 hours ago, Loliplol said:

That's a really interesting situation you have there. Do you mind sharing your router model? Also, have you tried asking some of your other friends if they can connect? It could be a security thingy not allowing your friend to do it.

No other friends have their minecraft accounts anymore because they forgot the password so no I can't

Uninstalled old Java versions (almost broke down and reinstalled my windows cuz java BS)

Installed new java version and tried older minecraft and it works

So the solution is that newest minecraft has some sort of BS thing that disallows players to join