CSS Responsive Navigation Bar Positioning

cpuxtech

I am trying to start a basic responsive website, as a test to learn how to make a responsive website. I followed a tutorial here, http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/responsive-web-nav/ (this is the demo project: http://media02.hongkiat.com/responsive-web-nav/demo/index.html) and I got it working and everything but I am having a problem. I cannot position anything to the right of the inside the . For some reason everything(including the #pull link when the display is not set to "none", falls below the and the . I want to make a login form somewhere to the right of the in the and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it at all.

Im sure its just a basic CSS positioning issue that I can't figure out because I am new to this, but I just need to place more content on the and I cannot figure out how to. Thanks!

Can you post your code?

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I am trying to start a basic responsive website, as a test to learn how to make a responsive website. I followed a tutorial here, http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/responsive-web-nav/ (this is the demo project: http://media02.hongkiat.com/responsive-web-nav/demo/index.html) and I got it working and everything but I am having a problem. I cannot position anything to the right of the inside the . For some reason everything(including the #pull link when the display is not set to "none", falls below the and the . I want to make a login form somewhere to the right of the in the and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it at all.

Im sure its just a basic CSS positioning issue that I can't figure out because I am new to this, but I just need to place more content on the and I cannot figure out how to. Thanks!

Can you post your code?

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

This is the main index.html:

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head>	<title>Responsive Navigation Demo</title>	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1">	<link rel="stylesheet" href="normalize.css">	<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css">	<link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=PT+Sans:400,700' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>	<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.min.js"></script>	<script>		$(function() {			var pull 		= $('#pull');				menu 		= $('nav ul');				menuHeight	= menu.height();			$(pull).on('click', function(e) {				e.preventDefault();				menu.slideToggle();			});			$(window).resize(function(){        		var w = $(window).width();        		if(w > 320 && menu.is(':hidden')) {        			menu.removeAttr('style');        		}    		});		});	</script></head><body>	<nav class="clearfix">		<ul class="clearfix">			<li><a href="#">Home</a></li>			<li><a href="#">How-to</a></li>			<li><a href="#">Icons</a></li>			<li><a href="#">Design</a></li>			<li><a href="#">Web 2.0</a></li>			<li><a href="#">Tools</a></li>			</ul>		<a href="#" id="pull">Menu</a>	</nav></body></html>
/* CSS reset */body,div,dl,dt,dd,ul,ol,li,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,pre,form,fieldset,input,textarea,p,blockquote,th,td {    margin:0;    padding:0;}/* Clearfix */.clearfix:before,.clearfix:after {    content: " ";    display: table;}.clearfix:after {    clear: both;}.clearfix {    *zoom: 1;}/* Basic Styles */body {	background-color: #ece8e5;	background-image:url('background.jpg');	-webkit-background-size: cover;	-moz-background-size: cover;	-o-background-size: cover;	background-size: cover;		}nav {	height: 40px;	width: 100%;	font-size: 11pt;	font-family: 'PT Sans',Arial,sans-serif;	font-weight: bold;	position: fixed;	background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3);	/*Inset Shadow On Nav Bar*/	box-shadow: 0px 0px 20px black inset;	-moz-box-shadow: inset 0 0 20px black;    -webkit-box-shadow: inset 0 0 20px black;	box-shadow: inset 0 0 20px black;}nav ul {	padding: 0;	margin: 0 auto;	width: 600px;	height: 40px;}nav li {	display: inline;	float: left;}nav a {	color: #fff;	display: inline-block;	width: 100px;	text-align: center;	text-decoration: none;	line-height: 40px;	text-shadow: 1px 1px 0px #283744;}nav li a {	box-sizing:border-box;	-moz-box-sizing:border-box;	-webkit-box-sizing:border-box;}nav a:hover, nav a:active {	background-color: #8c99a4;}nav a#pull {	display: none;}/*Styles for screen 600px and lower*/@media screen and (max-width: 600px) {	nav {   		height: auto;  	}  	nav ul {  		width: 100%;  		display: block;  		height: auto;  	}  	nav li {  		width: 50%;  		float: left;  		position: relative;  	}  	nav li a {		border-bottom: 1px solid #576979;		border-right: 1px solid #576979;	}  	nav a {	  	text-align: left;	  	width: 100%;	  	text-indent: 25px;  	}}/*Styles for screen 515px and lower*/@media only screen and (max-width : 480px) {	nav {		border-bottom: 0;	}	nav ul {		display: none;		height: auto;	}	nav a#pull {		display: block;		background-color: #283744;		width: 100%;		position: relative;	}	nav a#pull:after {		content:"";		background: url('nav-icon.png') no-repeat;		width: 30px;		height: 30px;		display: inline-block;		position: absolute;		right: 15px;		top: 10px;	}}/*Smartphone*/@media only screen and (max-width : 320px) {	nav li {		display: block;		float: none;		width: 100%;	}	nav li a {		border-bottom: 1px solid #576979;	}}

I actually figured it out, i needed to do this:

nav{

text-align:center;

}

nav ul{

display:inline-block;

}

nav > a#pull{

display:inline-block;

float:right;

}

And then the <ul> and the <a id="pull"> lay next to each other and menu button is all the way floated to the right.