Best solution for photo backup

fried-bacon

Hey guys

Here is the thing, right now I have about 800GB of photo in my hand and i expect I will double the amount in next few years. currently I have all the data in a protable harddrive. I am think about make some backup in my home what will be the best solution for that.Do you guys think I should just buy some harddrive and put it to my computer?

12 minutes ago, fried-bacon said:

Hey guys

Here is the thing, right now I have about 800GB of photo in my hand and i expect I will double the amount in next few years. currently I have all the data in a protable harddrive. I am think about make some backup in my home what will be the best solution for that.Do you guys think I should just buy some harddrive and put it to my computer?

You can try two things, build a NAS or use cloud storage. When the photo’s are extremely important I don’t recommend a hdd in your pc, when the pc fails and the disks crash there’s no way of getting it back. I personally think that a NAS or cloud storage is more safe.. (Don’t judge my English, I am 14 and Dutch haha)

19 minutes ago, fried-bacon said:

Hey guys

If you have a desktop with a free hard drive slot, that would a pretty good option.

2TB hard drives are only $60 USD off amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013QFRS2S/ref=twister_B01MU9EG5O?th=1

I would use that as you main storage since it'll be faster than your external drive, and then use your external drive as a backup drive.

I have a lot of photos that I simply store on internal HDDs (but they aren't in an actual PC). I just plug my drives into a PC with a sata and sata power to USB converter whenever needed. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

8 minutes ago, ItzRuben said:

You can try two things, build a NAS or use cloud storage. When the photo’s are extremely important I don’t recommend a hdd in your pc, when the pc fails and the disks crash there’s no way of getting it back. I personally think that a NAS or cloud storage is more safe.. (Don’t judge my English, I am 14 and Dutch haha)

what is the advantage for NAS,do you think nas will also fail like the pc do

6 minutes ago, fried-bacon said:

AFAIK it's just as likely that a NAS or it's hard drives will fail compared to HDDs in a PC, plus setting up a NAS is a pain.

As long as you keep at least one backup you should be fine.

1 hour ago, fried-bacon said:

1 hour ago, Alec M said:

AFAIK it's just as likely that a NAS or it's hard drives will fail compared to HDDs in a PC, plus setting up a NAS is a pain.

As long as you keep at least one backup you should be fine.

I don’t think a NAS will crash as fast as a pc does, a NAS just stands and does its thing without touching it. If you don’t know what I mean, with an pc there’s more caution to fry it. IFAIK is setting up an NAS pretty easy, I use one myself btw. But indeed plugging in an HDD in a pc isn’t difficult at all.

21 minutes ago, ItzRuben said:

I don’t think a NAS will crash as fast as a pc does, a NAS just stands and does its thing without touching it. If you don’t know what I mean, with an pc there’s more caution to fry it. IFAIK is setting up an NAS pretty easy, I use one myself btw. But indeed plugging in an HDD in a pc isn’t difficult at all.

Trust me, I have a SAN (Basically a NAS that needs an external computer) and they do develop plenty of issues over time such as hard drive bay fans dying which overheated a few drives,  eventually leading to their death.

Plus, if you aren't using a specific hard drive for a while, your PC will turn it off to help increase it's lifetime.

The likelihood of you computer's PSU dying and overvolting your hard drive, especially if you have a name brand or good OEM PSU is very low, since most that I've opened and worked on have high quality capacitors from Nichicon, Rubycon, or Nippon Chemi-Con.

Most NASs use computer power supplies or similar non-ATX form factor models that have pretty much the same circuit boards inside.

I do agree though that NASs are sometimes convenient and easy to set up, but it really depends on the model of NAS and the knowledge of the user.

can't believe noone said this...

Google Photo. 

just choose the unlimited storage option. your photo will not lose its native resolution, but they will be resized to a smaller file. 

if you can, use it. I have an account cos I used to own a nexus device, it comes with the device, I am not sure whether now it is available to everyone or not. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

can't believe noone said this...

Google Photo. 

just choose the unlimited storage option. your photo will not lose its native resolution, but they will be resized to a smaller file. 

if you can, use it. I have an account cos I used to own a nexus device, it comes with the device, I am not sure whether now it is available to everyone or not. 

It's available to anyone who has Gmail and uses google drive.

The definition of resizing means that you are somehow reducing the resolution of the image, and according to google's policies, they downsize all photos to 16MP and all videos to 1080P.

Given that @fried-bacon has 800GB of photos, that means they must either take tons of photos, or have a decent, higher resolution camera. Plus, depending on their internet connection, it could take ages to upload those photos.

Also, if you shoot in RAW, it won't accept that as a file format eligible for the unlimited storage option.

1 minute ago, Alec M said:

It's available to anyone who has Gmail and uses google drive.

The definition of resizing means that you are somehow reducing the resolution of the image, and according to google's policies, they downsize all photos to 16MP and all videos to 1080P.

Given that @fried-bacon has 800GB of photos, that means they must either take tons of photos, or have a decent, higher resolution camera. Plus, depending on their internet connection, it could take ages to upload those photos.

Also, if you shoot in RAW, it won't accept that as a file format eligible for the unlimited storage option.

ahhhh I see. google photo for me still is a god send though, 

statistically speaking, just use one more HDD to clone everything you have right now is gonna do the job for you.

you now have a HDD , grab another one, like a 4TB one,, then backup everything you have right now

the chances that both of these drives fail at the same time is realllllllllllllly small. 

there is a mathematic / statistic model behind it, I think I read it somewhere before 

so if you have a back up plan, chances are you are good to go.

buy some hgst 3tb drives cuz they are cheap right now. if u run out of ports, get a usb3 hdd dock. for as cheap as $10 you can hot swap drives(after save removal ofc) and not much speed loss.

no need for nas they are way too expensive imo.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!