Using SSD as a flash drive

Bobulous_91
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
3 minutes ago, Bobulous_91 said:

How do I do that?

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/diskmana.htm

You right click.

I got my brother a 128GB SSD for Christmas a while ago because he needed upgrade space, but he forgot about it and never used it. This was a few years ago, and I bought a SATA III to USB cable which I though would work to let it be used as a USB flash drive if he wanted. I found the SSD and the cable and he didn't want them, so I tried to use it as a USB flash drive since I only have a laptop. It won't work. It doesn't registor in my documents or anything, or notify me when I plug it in. I am 100% sure my brother never used it as a hard drive, so I was the first person to plug it into anything. Is there a way to make it work so I can store files on it?

Windows disk management.

Make a new simple volume in the unallocated space.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Bobulous_91 said:

I got my brother a 128GB SSD for Christmas a while ago because he needed upgrade space, but he forgot about it and never used it. This was a few years ago, and I bought a SATA III to USB cable which I though would work to let it be used as a USB flash drive if he wanted. I found the SSD and the cable and he didn't want them, so I tried to use it as a USB flash drive since I only have a laptop. It won't work. It doesn't registor in my documents or anything, or notify me when I plug it in. I am 100% sure my brother never used it as a hard drive, so I was the first person to plug it into anything. Is there a way to make it work so I can store files on it?

How are you powering the SSD?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Through the usb cable, it converts to a socket which has both parts of the SATA connection, I think. There are no other ports on the SSD to fill.

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Windows disk management.

Make a new simple volume in the unallocated space.

How do I do that?

3 minutes ago, Bobulous_91 said:

How do I do that?

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/diskmana.htm

You right click.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020