i7-4770k heat issues

BlackEternity

Hey @WoodenMarker,

thanks for all the productive feedback so far.

I was away for a bit to not get my head stuck completely in this issue.

In the meantime I bought a new case and thus have different aircooling and airflow.

On top of that I invested into a new CPU cooler because the old Mugen 4 did not fit anymore (2mm too tall). 

Long story short: Nothing changed temp-wise.

Same heat, same unresponsive curve. Doesn't matter if I crank all fans and CPU fan to max or not. Temps are high.

I'm willing to give the liquid metal a shot. I've got a small vise here that I could use. But there is an elephant in the room:

How do I relid the CPU?

I'm so far that I have the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, clear nail polish and some high temp silicone-adhesive in my basket.

But how do I glue it back together without a high pricey relid-tool? Sharpie an outline before delidding and just glueing it back on? Applying pressure with a somewhat heavy item to get the glue to spread properly? 

Thanks for all the help so far on this journey to get my CPU under control.

12 hours ago, BlackEternity said:

How do I relid the CPU?

I'm so far that I have the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, clear nail polish and some high temp silicone-adhesive in my basket.

But how do I glue it back together without a high pricey relid-tool? Sharpie an outline before delidding and just glueing it back on? Applying pressure with a somewhat heavy item to get the glue to spread properly? 

The adhesive you have or bit of super glue at the corners works. If you didn't have anything on hand, the IHS retention arm / bracket is enough to keep it in place before installing the cooler. The pressure from the retention mechanism and cooler is plenty for setting whatever adhesive you plan to use. 

It isn't very important to get the IHS exactly centered so you can do it by eye. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The adhesive you have or bit of super glue at the corners works. If you didn't have anything on hand, the IHS retention arm / bracket is enough to keep it in place before installing the cooler. The pressure from the retention mechanism and cooler is plenty for setting whatever adhesive you plan to use. 

It isn't very important to get the IHS exactly centered so you can do it by eye. 

Sweet, thanks.

I ordered the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and some glue to go with it. To be safe I ordered some clear nailpolish with it to properly seal any contacts under the IHS. 

I'm hoping that I will get my temps under high load in control. Because I usually post the temps from AIDA64 here - I played some Crysis 3 the other day and I saw that my CPU hangs around 83°C at this game - so it's not only synthetic stuff kicking my CPU. 

I'm really pumped to delid the CPU and hope I don't mess it up :-D

I'll post as soon as I have some new results.

Well non delided 4790k with a noctua nhd15,(i think that schyte mugen is not what people say on performance..)

96de8bbe251911ab1bb215d4ef685eb0.jpg

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Is that accurate compared to real temp?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Thanks for that info.

I delidded the CPU this afternoon and just got everything back together.

As I thought - the TIM was completely dried up and brittle as a cookie. Cleaned everything, scraped the old adhevise off, cleaned everything and sealed the contacts and caps in clear nailpolish. Let everything dry up and did the liquid metal and glue treatment now. 

Put everything back together and let the glue start to dry with the clamp-force of the socket itself. Thanks, that worked like a charm.

Now I have load temps around 70/75°c with a low CPU fancurve. Works beautifully. 

PS: Damn was I afraid of cracking my CPU when I tensioned the vise as hard as I could and nothing moved until it made *POP* and the adhesive lost it's grip. :-S

stock_3-8_after_load.JPG.86bc96bf57b433ce21180ed26dddaef1.JPG

@Peskanova Yeah I'm positive that the Scythe is no powerhouse. But then again - the Noctua costs twice, nearly triple the price as a Mugen 5 where I live and is as expensive as a 240mm AIO.

Because my final solution will be a custom water-loop that eliminates more heat, I don't want to waste way more money into interim-solutions than I have to. 

Thanks so much for all the productive and constructive feedback on here. 

I knew I came here for the right help.

15 hours ago, Peskanova said:

Well non delided 4790k with a noctua nhd15,(i think that schyte mugen is not what people say on performance..)

The 4790k is reported to have better thermal contact and paste than the 4770k according to Intel. Some are also better or worse than others depending on your luck. 

Here's an example of a 4790k under a Mugen 4 with similar load temps under Passmark: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/ggccCJ

8 hours ago, BlackEternity said:

As I thought - the TIM was completely dried up and brittle as a cookie. Now I have load temps around 70/75°c with a low CPU fancurve. Works beautifully. 

PS: Damn was I afraid of cracking my CPU when I tensioned the vise as hard as I could and nothing moved until it made *POP* and the adhesive lost it's grip. :-S

The TIM Intel uses isn't meant to stay wet and is rather solid by design for longevity. It's Temps are still a bit high for a delid but nonetheless much better. I think you just got unlucky with your 4770k.

It's less of a pop with constant pressure and a steady hand.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The TIM Intel uses isn't meant to stay wet and is rather solid by design for longevity. It's Temps are still a bit high for a delid but nonetheless much better. I think you just got unlucky with your 4770k.

Yeah I think it's just that.

I'm happy with the results but I'm not blown away by it but I think I really lost the lottery there.

Nevertheless I'm happy that I'm staying under 80.

As I've said my long term goal would be a custom loop. And I know it's not cheap - but the entry level is pretty steep for CPU only.

Right now I'm looking at a EKWB P360 kit as a starting point and extending that later on for the GPU aswell when money is available again.

And on the other hand my local tech-shop has a sale for an NZXT Kraken X72 for 50 bucks off. 

Both solutions allow me to just upgrade my hardware in the future and not having to worry about compatibility.

When I look for reviews of AIO or the Kraken X72 specifically, my results are inconclusive because they show good temperatures - but so does the Mugen 5 and everything else and others say that AIO is just a bad choice.

I would love to have a custom loop with GPU included for the sake of it. My 1080 is not really OC-possible (+70Mhz core is max stable) so it would be more of having it than needing it desperately. And when I leave it out for now and I stick to CPU only, the custom loop seems way more expensive than the Kraken X72 that is on sale right now. 

PS: @Peskanova aswell:

I could go the route of aircooling when I choose to buy an AIO - but then again I can't fit the Noctua size-wise. 155mm is max clearance so that won't fit.