Does hdd cache matter on gaming

angelospao13

Hello guys, i wonder if my stuttering issues are caused by my old hdd. It has only 8mb cache and a sata II. Big games like gta v are struggling to load and the textures are loading as i am moving in the game. Do you think the drive causes it? Thanks in advance

nah its probably your cpu/gpu, the game will take longer to load with an old HD but shouldn't really affect gameplay once its loaded. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

my gpu and cpu are not even 80% neither the ram i monitor them

especially for GTA HDD speeds are a big problem.

since you say you have a SATA 2 HDD i guess you also dont have much RAM?

load times in GTA are very long and if your RAM is too low and the HDD too slow your will for sure end up with having textures load too late but thats not an HDD cache issue its a general performance issue.

so do i need to add more ram(8gb now) or by getting a new disk will remove the stuttering from my screen

post specs 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

3 minutes ago, angelospao13 said:

so do i need to add more ram(8gb now) or by getting a new disk will remove the stuttering from my screen

You said you're monitoring the HDD utilisation? What about the reading speed? Can you see what the reading speed is like during a gta 5 session? And what about the response time of the drive?

Please give us your complete system specs as it's a guessing game at the moment...

ryzen 5 1600,8gb ram,msi gaming x 1050ti, asus b350 prime plus and a toshiba mk5076gsx 500gb old disk