PLEASE HELP :( URGENT; corrupted HDD while trying to open in UBUNTU

Frazman00

hi,

trying to solve another issue with windows, so i was going to backup my laptop ssd with my hard drive through ubuntul but it couldn't read it, because it was in exfat... so i used this command in the video 

the error on my drive was slightly different, with sdd1 instead of sdb1 so i used sdd1 instead and now my HDD is 'corrupted' in windows! :/ ubuntu is now showing it as a usable drive (its not greyed out) but it had 200GB of stuff on it (i backed what i believed to be all photos on it yesterday to my desktop thankfully). i think it may simply be because it cant see the stuff, so is there a way i can undo this?

I realise now that i tried to use an NTFS fix on an exFAT hard drive, but I hope i havent completely reformatted the drive... i was simply trying to make the drive usable in ubuntu and this happened :/

any ideas?

CPU Intel i7 8700k; Motherboard AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0); RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz C15; GPU eVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 Gaming iCX; Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB; Storage Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB; PSU Corsair RM650x; Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HUA 27" WQHD 144Hz G-sync; Cooling Corsair H100i; Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB (Brown); Mouse ZOWIE EC2-A (400dpi); Sound Corsair Gaming H2100 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset; Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I had a time where my external couldnt be detected by windows, though luckily it was a seagate and they got many tools to work with to make the drive working again. If it's a seagate drive look into the support page. Maybe there is something you could download and give it a shot

Just now, ZeouLs said:

I had a time where my external couldnt be detected by windows, though luckily it was a seagate and they got many tools to work with to make the drive working again. If it's a seagate drive look into the support page. Maybe there is something you could download and give it a shot

It's a SONY external Hard drive. wondering if something like this https://superuser.com/questions/520613/external-drive-corrupted-or-inaccessible-in-windows-xp-but-works-on-linux would work

CPU Intel i7 8700k; Motherboard AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0); RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz C15; GPU eVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 Gaming iCX; Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB; Storage Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB; PSU Corsair RM650x; Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HUA 27" WQHD 144Hz G-sync; Cooling Corsair H100i; Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB (Brown); Mouse ZOWIE EC2-A (400dpi); Sound Corsair Gaming H2100 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset; Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit

1 hour ago, Frazman00 said:

It's a SONY external Hard drive. wondering if something like this https://superuser.com/questions/520613/external-drive-corrupted-or-inaccessible-in-windows-xp-but-works-on-linux would work

Is the drive still shown in format ExFAT in Ubuntu?

Does the drive show up in Windows diskpart? Could you post the result of list disk?

• Win+R type in "diskpart"
  • Type in "list disk"

Could you spin up ubuntu connect the drive and run this command and post the result here?

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

For information lsblk is a command that shows you information about the devices.

38 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

Is the drive still shown in format ExFAT in Ubuntu?

Does the drive show up in Windows diskpart? Could you post the result of list disk?

• Win+R type in "diskpart"
  • Type in "list disk"

Could you spin up ubuntu connect the drive and run this command and post the result here?

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

For information lsblk is a command that shows you information about the devices.

Thank you so much for your reply, im pretty worried so i appreciate the help.

to answer your 1st question: No. the drive was originally unopenable, greyed out and gave an error message when i clicked on it in ubuntu, however NOW it is clickable but nothing happens when i do so and doesnt give the 'cant read exfat' kind of error

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free        Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online         1863 GB      0 B               *
  Disk 1    Online          232 GB  2048 KB            *
  Disk 2    Online          931 GB      0 B

The 931 GB drive is the one in question, as it is a 1TB drive.

lsblk command found:

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL
NAME                     FSTYPE    SIZE MOUNTPOINT             LABEL
loop0                    squashf   1.8G /rofs                  
loop1                    squashf  86.9M /snap/core/4917        
loop2                    squashf  34.7M /snap/gtk-common-theme
loop3                    squashf 140.9M /snap/gnome-3-26-1604/
loop4                    squashf   2.3M /snap/gnome-calculator
loop5                    squashf    13M /snap/gnome-characters
loop6                    squashf  14.5M /snap/gnome-logs/37    
loop7                    squashf   3.7M /snap/gnome-system-mon
sda                      isw_rai  59.6G                        
└─isw_egcdagfjb_HDD0             119.3G                        
  ├─isw_egcdagfjb_HDD0p1 ntfs      400M                        Recovery
  ├─isw_egcdagfjb_HDD0p2 vfat      100M                        ESP
  ├─isw_egcdagfjb_HDD0p3           128M                        
  ├─isw_egcdagfjb_HDD0p4 ntfs    105.1G                        ACER
  ├─isw_egcdagfjb_HDD0p5 ntfs      350M                        
  └─isw_egcdagfjb_HDD0p6 ntfs     13.2G                        Push Button Reset
sdb                      isw_rai  59.6G                        
sdc                                7.7G                        
└─sdc1                   vfat      7.7G /cdrom                 UBUNTU 18_0
sdd                              931.5G                        
└─sdd1                   ntfs    931.5G                        HD-E1

The very last drive is the one in question... it's showing that it's ntfs. is that an issue? will my data still be on it?

thanks in advance

Edited by Frazman00
lsblk result

OK, so there have been some advancements after asking on the UBUNTU forums.

Here's the thread: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1070098/urgent-accidentally-used-ntfsfix-on-exfat-external-usb-hdd-now-its-corrupted

Turns out that the drive is NTFS out the box, dont know why the exfat error was shown, but the above must be correct then... anyway, one user said that ntfsfix would not wipe a drive, so i'm wondering what do do, as the drive was corrupted after ntfsfix. any way to restore??

36 minutes ago, Frazman00 said:

Thank you so much for your reply, im pretty worried so i appreciate the help.

to answer your 1st question: No. the drive was originally unopenable, greyed out and gave an error message when i clicked on it in ubuntu, however NOW it is clickable but nothing happens when i do so and doesnt give the 'cant read exfat' kind of error

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free        Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online         1863 GB      0 B               *
  Disk 1    Online          232 GB  2048 KB            *
  Disk 2    Online          931 GB      0 B

The 931 GB drive is the one in question, as it is a 1TB drive.

lsblk command found:

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL
NAME                     FSTYPE    SIZE MOUNTPOINT             LABEL
loop0                    squashf   1.8G /rofs                  
loop1                    squashf  86.9M /snap/core/4917        
loop2                    squashf  34.7M /snap/gtk-common-theme
loop3                    squashf 140.9M /snap/gnome-3-26-1604/
loop4                    squashf   2.3M /snap/gnome-calculator
loop5                    squashf    13M /snap/gnome-characters
loop6                    squashf  14.5M /snap/gnome-logs/37    
loop7                    squashf   3.7M /snap/gnome-system-mon
sda                      isw_rai  59.6G                        
sdb                      isw_rai  59.6G                        
sdc                                7.7G                        
└─sdc1                   vfat      7.7G /cdrom                 UBUNTU 18_0
sdd                              931.5G                        
└─sdd1                   ntfs    931.5G                        HD-E1

The very last drive is the one in question... it's showing that it's ntfs. is that an issue? will my data still be on it?

thanks in advance

Om your drive still show up in Windows that's not to bad. To be honest no one will be able to tell you if your data is gone or not with a 100% assurance. However, we can go a bit deeper using Windows:

Fire up Windows and diskpart as before and type:

list disk
select disk 2 [Should be the disk number of your drive]
list part

Could you post the result of list part here so I can see if the drives partitions can still be read?

Afterwards you could try the following, it's a long shot but maybe it's that easy:

1. Right click on start
  2. Open Disk Managment
  3. Right click on your disk
  4. Click "Change Drive letters and paths"
  5. (If no entry exists) Add a drive letter.

DISKPART> list part

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary            931 GB  1024 KB

was the given result

just went into disk management and it says that is is a RAW disk??? but the other thing said it was ntfs? also, it says that it's 100% free. could that be due to it not being able to read it? surely? :/ picture attached is what I'm seeing.

image.png.6f07a26721a29b4d3641314242db003d.png

will changing the drive letter do anything to any data inside??

2 minutes ago, Frazman00 said:

DISKPART> list part

was the given result

What about the disk letter? Did that work out?

As it looks like your partition is still intact.

Please also try this:

Right click on windows

Open Device Manager

See if there is a warning somewhere in the usb section.

Does your drive show up at all in the Disk Managment? If so could you post a screenshot of it? Especially the bottom part if Windows recognises your partition on the drive?

4 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

What about the disk letter? Did that work out?

As it looks like your partition is still intact.

Please also try this:

Right click on windows

Open Device Manager

See if there is a warning somewhere in the usb section.

Does your drive show up at all in the Disk Managment? If so could you post a screenshot of it? Especially the bottom part if Windows recognises your partition on the drive?

Changed the disk letter from E: to M: and it is still corrupted.

disk manager screenshot is in the previous post

No errors in USB section of device manager

10 minutes ago, Frazman00 said:

DISKPART> list part

was the given result

just went into disk management and it says that is is a RAW disk??? but the other thing said it was ntfs? also, it says that it's 100% free. could that be due to it not being able to read it? surely? :/ picture attached is what I'm seeing.

image.png.6f07a26721a29b4d3641314242db003d.png

will changing the drive letter do anything to any data inside??

So you don't need to change the drive letter it already has one "E".

However the RAW means that the filesystem is damaged. We can try a rescue operation using the windows tools:

Press Win + R

Type cmd and hit enter

in the command prompt type:

chkdsk E: /f /r /x

The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount before the process starts.

If this doesn't work out you can still try to use a 3rd party program to recover the partition. (https://www.m3datarecovery.com/raw-to-ntfs/change-raw-to-ntfs-without-formatting.html)

Or in the worst case get a data recovery software to secure at least the data from the drive before formatting it to be usable again.

13 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

However the RAW means that the filesystem is damaged. We can try a rescue operation using the windows tools:

Press Win + R

Type cmd and hit enter

The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount before the process starts.

If this doesn't work out you can still try to use a 3rd party program to recover the partition. (https://www.m3datarecovery.com/raw-to-ntfs/change-raw-to-ntfs-without-formatting.html)

Or in the worst case get a data recovery software to secure at least the data from the drive before formatting it to be usable again.

It was E: before it is now M: (took screenshot before changing it... it did nothing anyway).

Can chkdsk not delete some files? or am i wrong (i hope i am lol) i just want to the safest way...

Is there any way to take an image, or clone the hard drive when its corrupted, before trying any restoration stuff?

Just had a thought - when in ubuntu there was no option to eject the disk, so i was just pulling the usb out... is this a problem? ://

Just now, homeap5 said:

I would start with that 3rd party soft if it has some preview.

16 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

Press Win + R

Type cmd and hit enter

I dont believe chkdsk works with RAW anyway, right?

8 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

Yes thats actually true.  Then you should go for a 3rd party software. For Example: https://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

I'll use that... videos show the m3 data recovery one u linked before working, however, it costs money so i'll try the guide that you linked just now...

Thanks so much for all the replies and your continued assistance, It is much appreciated

18 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

Yes thats actually true.  Then you should go for a 3rd party software. For Example: https://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

Just tried chkdsk and it started somehow, hopefully it works.

it said deleting orphan file record segment about a million times, which gave me a heart attack. but it is scanning right now...

It's currently at stage 5, looking for bad free clusters... it will take a while ut hopefully it works!!

It (chkdsk) completed and showed that "Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required."

But Unfortunately the drive is still corrupted :( 

6 hours ago, Frazman00 said:

It (chkdsk) completed and showed that "Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required."

But Unfortunately the drive is still corrupted :( 

Ok, I'm at the end of my knowledge... MAybeyou should try the previous mentioned tutorial: 

Then you should go for a 3rd party software. For Example: https://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

3 hours ago, M-Wolf said:

Ok, I'm at the end of my knowledge... MAybeyou should try the previous mentioned tutorial: 

Tried the m3 data recovery, just to see if there was still anything on it and ta-da!! its there! You have to pay $70 to get more than 1 gb off of it though :/ so not sure what to do...

but at least now i know that its not wiped i guess... any ideas?

attached is what the recovery software shows. most of my files are in 'raw files :)image.png.bbfbd651a8af0575ed74fd0a4866f3f1.png

43 minutes ago, M-Wolf said:

Well you could give the free softwares a try... https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-file-recovery-software

Maybe #5 would be something for you as you've lost the whole partition. I don't know any good free software though. I'm actually using M3 and paid the 70$. Good software is usually worth it...

#5 is just a re-brand of m3 ... don't get me wrong, m3 is super easy to use and the deep scan is great, I just hevn't got the $70 to spend xD will try DMDE :)

4 hours ago, Frazman00 said:

#5 is just a re-brand of m3 ... don't get me wrong, m3 is super easy to use and the deep scan is great, I just hevn't got the $70 to spend xD will try DMDE :)

Is it paid?

https://www.m3datarecovery.com/

They wrote that it's free, everywhere is "free" etc. "All-IN-ONE Free Data Recovery Software".

I'm curious - if they suggest that they software is free, then using crack is still a piracy?

I'm sick of that all "free" software that becomes paid as soon as you install it.

freephotoshop.png.b114ac3e99514b156e0e56d65bc1ee6f.png

Well, even Photoshop is "free". I think we must stop accuse people of being pirates, since all software, including Photoshop, are free.

Internet is full of misleading informations, but maybe it's time to take it serious?

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Is it paid?

https://www.m3datarecovery.com/

They wrote that it's free, everywhere is "free" etc. "All-IN-ONE Free Data Recovery Software".

I'm curious - if they suggest that they software is free, then using crack is still a piracy?

I'm sick of that all "free" software that becomes paid as soon as you install it.

freephotoshop.png.b114ac3e99514b156e0e56d65bc1ee6f.png

Well, even Photoshop is "free". I think we must stop accuse people of being pirates, since all software, including Photoshop, are free.

Internet is full of misleading informations, but maybe it's time to take it serious?

Well, they allow you to recover up to 1 GB of data for free. For any more, you have to pay the 70$ A crack is almost always piracy, especially if you haven't bought any license for the software. But this is definitely the wrong thread for such a discussion.

4 hours ago, Frazman00 said:

Well I'm sorry about that I haven't read through the whole article :D

Keep me updated on your progress and what software you've used in the end :)