PC smells like burning plastic

I would like to share a weird issue I have with my PC. Don't know which category this fits in so sorry if it's in the wrong place..

I'll try to describe the problem as detailed as possible to finally find a solution.

I've built a new PC almost 2 Years ago, since that time it's been running fine without any problems. No BSOD, no shutdowns, no hangs nothing whatsoever.

Despite that like 6-7 months ago I started to notice a somewhat odd smell which is coming from the back of the PC where the exhaust fan is. I would describe the smell as someone was melting some plastic, the smell is not very intense but it's definitely there. It's noticeable when the PC is under load, for example when running a game and whole system builds some heat.

At that time if I go and smell the area in the back of the case where the exhaust fan is I can clearly notice the smell which is coming out with some hot air being pushed by the fan.

I have decided to check what's going on and opened the case to see if something was looking burned. I have found nothing out of the ordinary, everything seemed absolutely fine. Then I put my PC under load with the case open to try to find the smell, but it was very hard to trace it, i THINK it's coming from somewhere on the motherboard ut no real clue where exactly.. It's definitely not from the PSU or the GPU. Like I said before it's coming out with the hot air where the exhaust fan is in the back. There it is the most noticeable.

I have checked my temperatures and they are perfect under load: CPU ~55C, GPU 70-72C, MB & HDD temps also low.

I really don't understand where the smell is coming from, as I said before everything has been working fine since I noticed that smell. Also after visual inspection everything seems OK.

Could anyone think of an idea what could this be? Because I'm clueless atm..

My specs

i7 6700k

ASUS Z170-A

Crucial 16GB DDR4 2400

Noctua NH-U14S

500GB SSD & 1TB HDD

EVGA GTX 1070FTW

Corsair RM550x

Fractal Define R5 with stock fans

@ChristmasElf

how hot is the air coming out of the exhaust ?

because i think i've had this issue with my old hot as f*** APU, with an air restricted case, the air was hot and there was a smell with it, i don't think it was plastic though.

i can't obviously smell your PC, but i think you should replace the fans and add more fans to your PC.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Have you taken your motherboard out of the case to fully check it? Are there any exposed wires touching anything?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

21 minutes ago, ChristmasElf said:

I would like to share a weird issue I have with my PC. Don't know which category this fits in so sorry if it's in the wrong place..

I'll try to describe the problem as detailed as possible to finally find a solution.

I've built a new PC almost 2 Years ago, since that time it's been running fine without any problems. No BSOD, no shutdowns, no hangs nothing whatsoever.

Despite that like 6-7 months ago I started to notice a somewhat odd smell which is coming from the back of the PC where the exhaust fan is. I would describe the smell as someone was melting some plastic, the smell is not very intense but it's definitely there. It's noticeable when the PC is under load, for example when running a game and whole system builds some heat.

At that time if I go and smell the area in the back of the case where the exhaust fan is I can clearly notice the smell which is coming out with some hot air being pushed by the fan.

I have decided to check what's going on and opened the case to see if something was looking burned. I have found nothing out of the ordinary, everything seemed absolutely fine. Then I put my PC under load with the case open to try to find the smell, but it was very hard to trace it, i THINK it's coming from somewhere on the motherboard ut no real clue where exactly.. It's definitely not from the PSU or the GPU. Like I said before it's coming out with the hot air where the exhaust fan is in the back. There it is the most noticeable.

I have checked my temperatures and they are perfect under load: CPU ~55C, GPU 70-72C, MB & HDD temps also low.

I really don't understand where the smell is coming from, as I said before everything has been working fine since I noticed that smell. Also after visual inspection everything seems OK.

My specs

i7 6700k

ASUS Z170-A

Crucial 16GB DDR4 2400

Noctua NH-U14S

500GB SSD & 1TB HDD

EVGA GTX 1070FTW

Corsair RM550x

Can't say I've encountered what you're encountering now, but a burning smell would usually come out a burning surface component; like a capacitor, or a trapped PSU wire.

I'd start with checking to see if any of your PSU wires are touching your motherboard.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

24 minutes ago, ChristmasElf said:

My specs

i7 6700k

ASUS Z170-A

Crucial 16GB DDR4 2400

Noctua NH-U14S

500GB SSD & 1TB HDD

EVGA GTX 1070FTW

Corsair RM550x

YOUR SMELLING THE GUTS OF BAD COOLING FOR AN I7-K

1 hour ago, syn2112 said:

@ChristmasElf

how hot is the air coming out of the exhaust ?

because i think i've had this issue with my old hot as f*** APU, with an air restricted case, the air was hot and there was a smell with it, i don't think it was plastic though.

i can't obviously smell your PC, but i think you should replace the fans and add more fans to your PC.

I'd say pretty warm. But how it's possible that hot air has a smell?

I'll have access  to my PC in few days so I'm going to check it again.

One more thing that gives me headache: if you look up asus z170-a on the internet you can see a white plastic shield on the heat sink. Could this plastic thing cause the smell?