Triple monitor stand/desk

Nem

Has anyone tried using a clamp style monitor stand (triple monitors) on one of those cheap IKEA desks?

I hear that some of their desks are hollow, or made out of cheap fiberboard, that may not be able to withstand the clamping pressure of a stand holding 3 monitors. I havent purchased either yet, just wondering whether this combo would be a good/bad idea

Example stand: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0034PUWNS/?coliid=I9TC88XSUSFLY&colid=2RB6ZWWFZJJ78&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Example desk: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S29084966/?cid=ps|ca|shopping|201804041739217864_1

you should get 3 single arm stands that way you have more flexibility in arranging the monitors and also have no issues with putting too much stress on one point of the table.

I wouldn't. A friend of mine tried a 2 monitor clap on a similar desk and it broke right through the desk. I would do a 3 Monitor stand like this https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Freestanding-Compatible-MI-2789-Horizontal/dp/B01HSJX1FG/ or similar. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

I think if you could feel the desk in person it would give you a good idea of how much "give" is there, put a bit of weight on a model desk and see.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

I tend to get very solid desks or tables. Gotta hold 6 monitors and 2 rigs.

Last thing you want is it flexing and shaking all the time. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Hello I would like to help you. I'm also using an adjustable standing desk with monitor clamp (dual monitors in this case).

The dual monitor clamp I use is "Digitus dual monitor clamp 2xlcd max 27"" on an Autonomous Smart Desk 2 business edition DIY kit. The DIY means you get everything except the wooden top. But you can screw any wooden top on it so it's usually cheaper than getting theirs. Also you can customize it more to your needs if you get it from somewhere else (literally any tough wooden top will do).

The Ikea one you posted is pretty unstable so please do not buy that one. Also I really WOULD NOT get a standing desk from ikea. Here is why:

- The quality is rubbish. Very unstable.

Go to your local ikea where they probably have it in the showroom and see for yourself how much it wobbles. Also it usually has only 1 motor instead of 2.

- It doesn't have memory function.

If you need to keep pressing the button for it to go to your desired position, you wont use it. Get one with memory functions instead. This is a MUST. If you dont have buttons with memory functions, you will get annoyed by it very quickly and stop using it which makes the desk useless. The beauty of memory function is you press it, go grab a drink or go to the bathroom and when you get back the desk is at your desired position. You can also wait since it's pretty fast anyway (it doesn't take more than 10 seconds for mine to go from sit to stand or vice versa)

- Never get a hand cranked standing desk.

Its seriously annoying and because of it you wont use it. Same reason as above really.

I can highly recommand the Autonomous Smartdesk 2 business edition DIY kit. I've been using it for 6 months along with the dual monitor clamp and have no problems with it whatsoever. You can just screw any table top on it (my wooden top was about €100 from some office store).

Obviously the stronger/tougher the wooden top: the stronger/tougher/heavier the monitor clamp can get. But you could also get 3 seperate ones if that's cheaper or spreads out the weight more.

What would be a good idea is see how much each of your monitors weigh. Honestly the newer your monitor is, the less it probably weighs so I wouldn't worry that much of it unless your table top is made out of cardboard like those Ikea ones. What also helps is look at how big the clamps are. The bigger the clamping surface is, the less the chance it would penetrate the wood. You could also add a small piece of very tough wood on it to spread out the force more. But like I said: if you have a decent wooden top, I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're monitors aren't that heavy.

I hoped this helps and feel free to ask me any questions about it if you need to know more.

Good luck.