Bench testing - have I gone crazy?

I'm trying to test a batch of motherboards (all same model), which were sold to me as working, but they ALL seem to have problems. I'm using my usual test bench setup, i.e. with the motherboard atop anti static on the desk (not in a case), and pretty much all the boards are exhibiting what look like intermittent electrical faults, which cause booting issues *sometimes*, maybe ports to not work *sometimes* and so on. Sometimes a board will work but then when it is moved a couple of inches, it stops working on the next boot. Again I have this down as an electrical fault where there is something loose or close to shorting, and moving the board can trigger the short. But I'm starting to doubt myself. Is there something I could be doing wrong here?

What boards?  

Do they all have the same bios?  And does bios need to be updated?

Are drivers all installed and up to date?

Is the PSU any good?  Have you tried another one?

Is RAM the issue?  Installed in the right slots?  Sticks work fine in known working unit?

Clear CMOS?

And the obvious... did you check all cables and connections?

That's all I got for now...

Honestly, the fact that things stop working when you move it a few inches makes me think it's a weak cable connection to the 8 pin or 24 pin...

On 8/26/2018 at 9:06 AM, DDebbil said:

I'm using my usual test bench setup, i.e. with the motherboard atop anti static on the desk

What do you mean by "atop anti static"?

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

What do you mean by "atop anti static"?

Meaning atop a sheet of anti-static material on the desk.

4 hours ago, thedude4bides said:

What boards?  

Do they all have the same bios?  And does bios need to be updated?

Are drivers all installed and up to date?

Is the PSU any good?  Have you tried another one?

Is RAM the issue?  Installed in the right slots?  Sticks work fine in known working unit?

Clear CMOS?

And the obvious... did you check all cables and connections?

That's all I got for now...

I did try an alternate PSU with the same effects. The RAM has been put in the correct lane populations according to the manual, and different RAM tried. I've tried re-seating cables but again no luck. I don't think it's a BIOS or driver issue (some of the problems occur pre-POST, while some occur randomly when the system has been working/detecting things previously).

4 hours ago, thedude4bides said:

Honestly, the fact that things stop working when you move it a few inches makes me think it's a weak cable connection to the 8 pin or 24 pin...

I tried reseating both of those cables but with no luck.