Very depressed and worried, is my GPU dead?

SamHF

Hello,

Firstly I'm sorry if this is the wrong section wasn't sure where to post this and I'm very desperate.

I'll try my best to explain the problem as clearly as possible.

I've owned the EVGA GTX 980Ti for about 2 years now. Throughout these 2 years I have always looked away from overclocking only until recently (48 hours ago).

After watching videos and reading tutorials for about an entire day I was actually looking forward to giving it a go purely for that extra perfomancer for the money I spent on my rig.

I downloaded afterburner and I then proceeded to put +10 on the core clock and done a whole playthrough of a benchmark. I kept repeating this all the way up until around +120 core clock, this was when my PC just shut down and would not turn on at all. I press the power button on my tower and I heard a click but nothing whatsoever.

After about an hour of sobbing and getting stressed thinking I destroyed my entire PC I managed to find the culprit of why the PC wouldn't start. If I unplugged the GPU from the PSU my PC would boot. Soo nas I plugged the coord back into the PSU the problem was back, I could not start my PC.

Luckily I have a very very old GPU. The GTX 750Ti. I put that into my PC and it booted up fine.

My question is how do I know if it's the PSU which has failed or the GPU? I mean my old 750Ti doesn't reqiure much power so the PSU isn't exactly under-load to test it, right?
I'm very sad and fustrated. I'm reading threads on other forums and people are saying the GPU is dead or the PSU is dead. How can I find out the real problem here?

List of this I tested;

- Removed the circular battery on my mobo and reinserted it
- Booted Windows 10 in safe mode and used DDU tool to remove Afterburner along with any saved profiles (also removed GPU driver)
- Used the tool which came with my PSU and the fan seemed to spin when I press eco mode (people say this is not a good test to know if the PSU is faulty)

Any help is appreciated. Very depressed about this.

If you have a friend who will let you test your GPU in their system, try that before deciding your GPU is dead.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

If you have a friend who will let you test your GPU in their system, try that before deciding your GPU is dead.

I tried the GPU in my old system and nothing worked. My old PC won't even turn on now after attempting to turn it on with the GPU inside.

I'm currently using my old GPU in my PC right now. I'm using an old 750Ti and my PC booted fine.

1 minute ago, SamHF said:

I tried the GPU in my old system and nothing worked. My old PC won't even turn on now after attempting to turn it on with the GPU inside.

I'm currently using my old GPU in my PC right now. I'm using an old 750Ti and my PC booted fine.

Sounds like it's a dead card.

F

What I'm curious about is why it would just die when overclocking, I've never heard of that happening. I've had and seen driver crashes when overclocking GPUs, but those are recoverable. I've never seen a card just roll over and die like that.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

I don't see how increasing the base clock by +110 is going to fry the GPU. Were you even doing anything while overclocking or was it just at idle?

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Sounds like it's a dead card.

F

What I'm curious about is why it would just die when overclocking, I've never heard of that happening. I've had and seen driver crashes when overclocking GPUs, but those are recoverable. I've never seen a card just roll over and die like that.

I was running a benchmark then my PC just shut down and wouldn't turn on whatsoever. Took me hours to find out how to turn my PC back on. Just turns out I had to unplug the cord from the PSU so my GPU wasn't plugged in.

Just now, SamHF said:

I was running a benchmark then my PC just shut down and wouldn't turn on whatsoever. Took me hours to find out how to turn my PC back on. Just turns out I had to unplug the cord from the PSU so my GPU wasn't plugged in.

Weird.

I've never seen a card die like that.

1 minute ago, Xplo1t said:

I don't see how increasing the base clock by +110 is going to fry the GPU. Were you even doing anything while overclocking or was it just at idle?

Was running a benchmark.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Weird.

I've never seen a card die like that.

How do I know for sure it's the GPU and not my mobo or psu? I've tried multiple tests etc but I don't know anymore, this is so depressing. Had my GPU for 2 years just decided to overclock and then this happens.

1 minute ago, SamHF said:

How do I know for sure it's the GPU and not my mobo or psu? I've tried multiple tests etc but I don't know anymore, this is so depressing. Had my GPU for 2 years just decided to overclock and then this happens.

Try it in a completely different system. That will basically tell you what the culprit is, if it behaves normally in a completely different system, then we can move on from there.

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try it in a completely different system. That will basically tell you what the culprit is, if it behaves normally in a completely different system, then we can move on from there.

i put it in my old computer nothing turns on. I took the GPU out of my old system now my entire old system doesn't boot lol. omg.

5 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

What power supply is it?

EVGA 850 PSU

46 minutes ago, SamHF said:

I started the core clock at +10 and kept increasing by 10 after every succeful benchmark run. I managed to reach around +110 core clock then my PC randomly shut down. When trying to boot the PC back on nothing would work. No lights no fans, nothing. Completely dead. After 10minutes of being upset thinking my entire PC has broke I managed to find the culprit of why my PC wouldn't boot. I tried testing my PSU with the adapter which came with the EVGA 850 PSU and my PSU fans spinned. After plugging all the wires back into my PSU I forgot to plug the GPU wire and my PC turned on.

Unfortunately, that probably killed the system.

3 hours ago, Sirjfc said:

Unfortunately, that probably killed the system.

what does this mean now? is it the gpu which needs replacing?

4 hours ago, SamHF said:

does your 750ti has a pcie power connector? 

Do you have an igpu? Another pci slot to test? 

Does ss the board have post codes? Need some actual details. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

13 hours ago, SamHF said:

TLDR; I attempted to overclock then my PC crashed. PC won't boot anymore with GPU plugged into PSU.

Maybe the infamous R33 inductor died when u start overclocking and stressing it? What is the exact model of your card?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Do you have an igpu? Another pci slot to test? 

Does ss the board have post codes? Need some actual details. 

Yes didn't work in all 3 slots.

13 hours ago, StronkMan said:

does your 750ti has a pcie power connector? 

I believe so yes. It has it written on the cable PCI whereas my newer PC has GPU written on it.

2 hours ago, SamHF said:

I believe so yes. It has it written on the cable PCI whereas my newer PC has GPU written on it.

Should have both an 8 pin PCI cable for the motherboard and a second 6+2 pin for the GPU.   Sometimes the GPU 6+2 pin has two sets of connectors but that varies by wattage output.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

The connector that's the solid 8-pin should go to the motherboard.  Looks like the middle one.  The connectors that have 6 pins + a 2 pin that can be made into an 8-pin go into the PSU.  

The images below show a typical motherboard layout, the 8 pin that would go into it and then the 6+2pin that would go to the motherboard.  You may also have a 4+4 connector that also goes into the motherboard as shown below.

motherboard.JPG

HTB1tjboNXXXXXXPXVXXq6xXFXXXd.jpg

0XXJuyA.jpg

3 minutes ago, Xplo1t said:

The connector that's the solid 8-pin should go to the motherboard.  Looks like the middle one.  The connectors that have 6 pins + a 2 pin that can be made into an 8-pin go into the PSU.  

The images below show a typical motherboard layout, the 8 pin that would go into it and then the 6+2pin that would go to the motherboard.  You may also have a 4+4 connector that also goes into the motherboard as shown below.

motherboard.JPG

HTB1tjboNXXXXXXPXVXXq6xXFXXXd.jpg

0XXJuyA.jpg

Thanks for the reply. What is it you wanted me to try exactly? sorry my head is all over the place right now. thanks again.

Just make sure they are all probably wired.  The motherboard uses the power connectors to send power to the graphics card through the slot.  Also the card needs an additional power cable plugged in since the slot can't provide enough.  Unless everything is probably connected, you can run into issues like booting up.