Remote Access Setup from cheap portable notebook to at-home workhorse

I have an MSI GS70 Stealth 17 inch. It's a beast and a wonderful computer. However, it gets HOT, battery life is trash, and the keyboard is broken ($300 repair through MSI, complete disassembly to do myself).

I want to leave my good workhorse laptop at home plugged in and remotely access it using something like a cheapo chromebook or one of those knock off Chinese ultrabooks.

• Does anyone have experience doing this?
    • Are there going to be massive latency issues, poor processing speeds for renders/3D modeling, etc?
    • I won't be gaming so I don't care much about a little latency, but if it's going to be disgustingly laggy I won't be able to live with it.  
  • Does anyone have recommendations for the cheap chromebook/knock off ultrabook? (13-15 inch, slim, great battery).

Sorry, I don't really have any experience using remote-access software, but I'd recommend the Jumper EZBook 3 Pro. Its battery life is decent, it's fast enough for "normal" day-to-day software(for me anyways) and overall, it's pretty nice I'd say, especially given the price... :D

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

From what I have read. You will need Windows 10 Pros version on both computer.

You may need a VPN, for security, and good Anti Virus

You will most definitely have latency issues by trying to use a PC remotely. No matter what you do, you are adding time between your inputs to the PC and delay to what you see. If it takes even 5ms for your input to be sent and another 5ms to receive it, that's 10ms delay, and that would be with an amazing connection between both PC's.

That being said, these are the two remote desktop apps that I've used and how their fair:

• Chrome Remote Desktop: Free, and it only requires that both PC's have Google Chrome and the Google Chrome Remote Desktop app installed. The problem is that it definitely adds some lag to the connection, even when using ethernet cables between two PC's a few feet from one another.
  • Real VNC: Is much faster than the above option, and also requires both PC's to have the app installed. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it costs money to connect two PC's when using the desktop app on both machines, but it's free if one of the machines uses the mobile app (android/iOS device, possibly also on ChromeBooks).

I have used everything from my Dell XPS laptop to a Pixel C with kb/mouse for RDP into my Windows 10 machines at home.  As long as the internet connection is decent, it's usable no matter which device.  The biggest issues are transferring files or video playback or any complex video operations.  Those all require a good amount of bandwidth. Even something like Quicken which redraws many of the objects can cause the experience to lag.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay