How to connect SSD?

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
Just now, SupersonicSaint said:

This is what Disk Management shows. What should I do from here?

Right click the Unallocated section and select Format. Give the drive a name that will show up in My Computer, then select NTFS file system and use quick format.

I have plugged in the SATA power connector into SSD then connected to the PSU. The SATA III cable was then attached to the Motherboard and to the SSD but nothing on my PC is detected no matter how many times I restart. Only my HDD is detected and works which is connected to the same power cable.

What am I doing wrong?

videocompress-046-VID_20180823_190735(0).mp4

2 minutes ago, SupersonicSaint said:

I have plugged in the SATA power connector into SSD then connected to the PSU. The SATA III cable was then attached to the Motherboard and to the SSD but nothing on my PC is detected no matter how many times I restart. Only my HDD is detected and works which is connected to the same power cable.

What am I doing wrong?

videocompress-046-VID_20180823_190735(0).mp4

Doublecheck connections, try another SATA port on the board.  Can you see it in windows?

You probably need to format the drive, open the disk manager and there should be an other device with free space.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

4 minutes ago, Thomas CG said:

You probably need to format the drive, open the disk manager and there should be an other device with free space.

IMG_20180823_193246.jpg

Right click the Unallocated section and select Format. Give the drive a name that will show up in My Computer, then select NTFS file system and use quick format.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Worked a charm! Thanks for the help. Any idea how to transfer all files (Including Windows and Steam) to my 1tb SSD from my 1tb HDD?

1 minute ago, SupersonicSaint said:

Worked a charm! Thanks for the help. Any idea how to transfer all files (Including Windows and Steam) to my 1tb SSD from my 1tb HDD?

Do a clean install of Windows on the SSD. It's better, if you copy Windows files onto another drive, it can cause a lot of problems such as driver fail, software that get corrupted and so on

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1. Download the Windows 10 installer tool from their website, transfer it to a flash.
  2. Restart your computer, Press F10 when its starting up (before you see windows logo screen) to enter the boot menu and select the USB as the boot device.
  3. Follow the prompts for installing windows on your machine, and when asked which drive to install windows to, choose to install it on to the SSD. It will wipe any data that is on the drive you choose, so it's important you choose the correct drive! (Might be wise to shut down and unplug the HDD with your data on it before you attempt this so that way you don't accidentally select it).
  4. Windows will be installed on the SSD. It will ask you to either to log in to your windows account or enter a windows 10 product key.
  5. Once the installation process is complete, shut down the computer and plug the hard drive back in if you previously removed it.
  6. Copy the files you want to keep from the hard drive to the SSD.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:
  1. Download the Windows 10 installer tool from their website, transfer it to a flash.
  2. Restart your computer, Press F10 when its starting up (before you see windows logo screen) to enter the boot menu and select the USB as the boot device.
  3. Follow the prompts for installing windows on your machine, and when asked which drive to install windows to, choose to install it on to the SSD. It will wipe any data that is on the drive you choose, so it's important you choose the correct drive! (Might be wise to shut down and unplug the HDD with your data on it before you attempt this so that way you don't accidentally select it).
  4. Windows will be installed on the SSD. It will ask you to either to log in to your windows account or enter a windows 10 product key.
  5. Once the installation process is complete, shut down the computer and plug the hard drive back in if you previously removed it.
  6. Copy the files you want to keep from the hard drive to the SSD.

Thanks! You have helped greatly.

Step that I forgot to mention, is when you have both the HDD and SSD in the system and they both have an OS installed on them, your PC will pick one of them to boot from.  It will pick whichever is listed first in the BIOS "Boot Priority" list. This means you may get stuck booting in to the HDD even after windows is installed on the SSD.

So you will need to enter your BIOS by pressing the Delete key (or whatever key is set for your motherboard, refer to the on screen display or motherboard manual) while the system is starting up (before windows logo)  and finding an option in the BIOS menu for the "Boot Priority". You will want to select your SSD as the 1st boot device.
If you get stuck you may need to refer to your motherboard manual for exact instructions on how to find this setting and change it, as it can vary by manufacturers and motherboard models.