CPU scaling @4k when gaming w/gtx 1080

I've been looking around and I'm unable to find a good benchmark or a solid answer.

I have an i5 3570k clocked at 4.5ghz, and have been considering upgrading to a Rysen 2700x.

I've noticed that in most benchmarks the average frame rate in a given game levels out between modern processors as the resolution increases, but I can only find benchmarks up to 2k, and none of them include my processor, so it's hard to judge if it would actually be better.

I have a 3440x1440 ultrawide with a 100hz refresh rate, and a 4k monitor with 60hz, this is why I've been trying to find out.

If anyone has the answer, or could point me to a video or article that I might have missed that would be amazing.

Thank you. Let me know if I need to give more information, this is my first post. 

If gaming is the only thin you do at all, you'll hardly feel that much of a impact in frame-rates.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Gallstafff01 said:

I've been looking around and I'm unable to find a good benchmark or a solid answer.

I have an i5 3570k clocked at 4.5ghz, and have been considering upgrading to a Rysen 2700x.

I've noticed that in most benchmarks the average frame rate in a given game levels out between modern processors as the resolution increases, but I can only find benchmarks up to 2k, and none of them include my processor, so it's hard to judge if it would actually be better.

I have a 3440x1440 ultrawide with a 100hz refresh rate, and a 4k monitor with 60hz, this is why I've been trying to find out.

If anyone has the answer, or could point me to a video or article that I might have missed that would be amazing.

Thank you. Let me know if I need to give more information, this is my first post. 

Most people arent benching 4K because its still not widely used for gaming.

On the whole.  as resolution increases, the CPU matter less and less and the GPU matter more and more.

Think of it like this.  your CPU feeds your GPU the data it needs to make frames (among other things like audio, NPC, etc.  These are variable with the game and dont scale from resolution to resolution).  If your GPU can make 1000 frames at 1080p, and only 100 at 4K.  the CPU has to do far less work to feed the GPU data at 4K because it takes the GPU longer to crunch out a frame.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

CPU thinks in points (for triangles) in space. And does AI, phys sim, etc. stuff in spare time :)
GPU thinks in triangles to pixels exchange.
CPU doesn't see pixels (more or less), it only does driver usage and other stuff mentioned earlier.
In short : 
twFMH2n.png
IQ = Image Quality
^This is the general idea everyone should have.
And Yes, I know there are graphics options that can impact both (like render distsance).
You can also add RAM speed (latency/bandwidth), next to CPU on Y-axis.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Hmm. Maybe i've been thinking about it wrong. I know my CPU will beat a Rysen CPU in games that don't fully utilize multi-threading no matter what, but my main question is whether that difference will be less noticeable or level out as resolution increases and the CPU becomes less of a bottleneck and it shifts toward the GPU. Again, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong and didn't put much thought into it before posting, and maybe it would be better to save for a newer generation intel CPU if the processor speed really concerns me more than the amount of cores.

It's just proving difficult to find the benchmarks I need to satisfy my curiosity..

5 minutes ago, Gallstafff01 said:

I know my CPU will beat a Rysen CPU in games that don't fully utilize multi-threading no matter what

Your CPU doesn't really beat my 2700X at 4.35ghz all core stable, even in single threaded tasks. This CPU has IPC similar to that of Broadwell chips.

2 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Your CPU doesn't really beat my 2700X at 4.35ghz all core stable, even in single threaded tasks. This CPU has IPC similar to that of Broadwell chips.

Thank you, that answers one of my questions. Really wanted to know if i'd have to sacrifice any performance.

i went from a 3570k that would only do 4.2GHz to a 3960X that will only do 4.3

other than being good at losing the silicon lottery; the two extra cores have helped in really demanding games like BF1 where the 3570k would make things stuttery sometimes.

I did get the 3960X + a mobo for $150 tho. just was a great deal hence why i went for it. But someone like you may be able to make a better choice.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i went from a 3570k that would only do 4.2GHz to a 3960X that will only do 4.3

other than being good at losing the silicon lottery; the two extra cores have helped in really demanding games like BF1 where the 3570k would make things stuttery sometimes.

Hmm, that's good. Along with normal games, I'm also concerned about emulators such as Dolphin and Cemu.

On passmark the single threaded scores of the 3570k and a ryzen 2700x seems to be very similar, with the 2700x pulling out ahead. I'm going to run my own test to see what my score is with my overclock.

My score came to an overall 9419 with at single threaded score of 2526, beating the 2700x recorded on the Passmark charts which was 2190.

I honestly didn't think mine would be that much higher.

Annotation.png

52 minutes ago, Motifator said:

You're comparing an OC'ed CPU to stock. Also, PassMark is garbage. This is what I get with my chip on UserBenchmark:

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/10369957

Stock vs stock would be pointless if i'm looking to see the difference in performance of my current vs. what I can get.

Just ran that benchmark, http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/10426358

It's about even, with your 2700x being a bit better which is nice. Pretty much exactly what I wanted to see, thank you.

This pretty much solved my problem.