Need Some help with a Powered USB hub

Go to solution Solved by Thomas CG,

1. No it should be fine as the drives will not be writing data while the laptop is powered off, only spinning.

2. Not if you do a full shutdown

3. I don't think there is one if the hub doesn't show as it's own device you can eject.

Hello and good morning, afternoon and evening to anyone who's reading this, 

As the title stated above, i need some help on how to remove power from the USB hub.

so here's the thing

I just bought a new powered usb hub today, ( https://www.tp-link.com/ca/products/details/cat-5688_UH720.html )

before this i was using a non - powered usb hub 3.0 from some random brand that i don't actually know. it was actually slowing down my 3 external hard drives that were connected to it,

and now after using this new powered USB hub, i'm finally getting my full 3.0 speeds for the first time in a long while. 

Here's the problem, I know u have to eject every single time before shutting down your laptop. but last time (Before i got the new powered hub) i just left the non powered USB hub plugged into my laptop at all times which meant

every time i wanted to turn off the laptop. it will turn off the 3 external hdd's as well (Which techinically you won't get any data loss. which i have suffered once after losing 1TB of data a few years back) But now. even if i turn off my laptop. there is still power going through my hdd (Because of the power from the socket) there was one time today i've forgotten to eject all my hdd before turning off the switch to the powered usb hub and i was kinda shocked that all of my hard drive has a short *click* sound. which i guess the hard drives suddenly stopped as i turned off the power. 

now i want to know if 

1. will i damage my hard drive or the hub long term if i shut down my laptop first (Fully shut down)  and directly close the power to the hub 

2. do i have to eject all 3 hdd's every time i want to shut down my laptop

3. is there another way to eject all the hard drives in a faster method

Thank you for taking your time to read my problem and i'm sorry for any grammatical mistakes.  

1. No it should be fine as the drives will not be writing data while the laptop is powered off, only spinning.

3. I don't think there is one if the hub doesn't show as it's own device you can eject.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

1 minute ago, Thomas CG said:

ah. okay then.

Thank you.

so i don't have to worry about the audible click sound everytime i switch off the power once the laptop is powered off right? 

1 hour ago, Great_yarn said:

so i don't have to worry about the audible click sound everytime i switch off the power once the laptop is powered off right? 

It's probably due to the drive loosing power, if you plug it in directly to the laptop and eject it it might not stop spinning right away, hence when you disconnect it and It looses power it does a weird sound.

I had a drive that didn't power down once I ejected it and sometimes when I unplugged it it did a weird clicking sound when powered off.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

4 minutes ago, Thomas CG said:

It's probably due to the drive loosing power, if you plug it in directly to the laptop and eject it it might not stop spinning right away, hence when you disconnect it and It looses power it does a weird sound.

I had a drive that didn't power down once I ejected it and sometimes when I unplugged it it did a weird clicking sound when powered off.

Ah ok. Thanks again. Really appreciate your help ?