New Ryzen 5 build, no display issue...

EIijah
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
Just now, EIijah said:

Yeah typo sorry, motherboard only has one pci slot, however I can test the gpu in my rig

Do that so you can rule out whether it's the system or the GPU.

Also try removing one of the memory sticks and seeing if it will boot with just 1 stick. Try different slots and swap the sticks over to give the other stick a try to see if one of the sticks may be bad. (or if you have extra RAM not in use just swap it out to see if it will POST)

After that if it still won't turn on and the GPU is working properly in the other machine, I'd recommend inspecting the CPU pins for any damage. Also just remounting it might help.

Hi anybody... Today my friend spent $1500 on a new pc based on parts I recommended. I put it together test bench style and checked that it booted, it did. So I put all the gear in the case, went to start it, fans spin, lights come on, no display... I've built around 5 pc's and diagnosed a lot of issues, I've checked over every cable, I've tried using a different GPU but I have no idea what to do from here...

The main parts are a Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1060 6GB, 2x4GB of DDR4 RAM, and a evga 650W PSU.

I'm really happy to hear any suggestions people have, I'm just about to pull everything out and re test it outside the case.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

6 minutes ago, EIijah said:

The main parts are a Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1060 6GB, 2x4GB of DDR3 RAM, and a evga 650W PSU.

DDR3 memory is not compatible with Ryzen. I'm guessing you meant DDR4 and was just a typo?

Try the GPU in a different PCIe slot.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

DDR3 memory is not compatible with Ryzen. I'm guessing you meant DDR4 and was just a typo?

Try the GPU in a different PCIe slot.

Yeah typo sorry, motherboard only has one pci slot, however I can test the gpu in my rig

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

Just now, EIijah said:

Also try removing one of the memory sticks and seeing if it will boot with just 1 stick. Try different slots and swap the sticks over to give the other stick a try to see if one of the sticks may be bad. (or if you have extra RAM not in use just swap it out to see if it will POST)

After that if it still won't turn on and the GPU is working properly in the other machine, I'd recommend inspecting the CPU pins for any damage. Also just remounting it might help.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If the motherboard is a B350 or X370 the BIOS is likely too old and in need of an update. Best solution is tbh to return the board in that case and just get a B450.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

So reseating the cpu seems to have done the trick..  the stock cooler had sooo much thermal paste so I cleaned the excess... Hopefully continues to work after I put it back in the case