put a new GPU on a old CPU and MB

Arch2k

would this GPU make problems for this cpu and MB?
my older brother wants to get a gpu that would be decent that would work with this computer for now
until he gets his own computer since that was a old pc of mine way back

ive read that the 1060 would be the highest that computer can go since its older

Arch2k

my top rig is a core i7 4930k @ 4.2 GHZ with a SLI gtx 970 configuration on an Asus sabertooth x79 motherboard, i proudly still rock Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on it and don't plan to go to 10 anytime soon due to the range of game compatibility i manage to have on this platform. I personally would not ever go past a GTX 1080 on this rig , i feel my cpu still has plenty of grunt in it but a 1080ti would not be completely utilized by this setup , plus i run the rig on a 4k 60hz television so 60 is my limit . If i knew your brothers exact cpu i could make a logical analysis on what i think would be a good max pairing

1 hour ago, Matt087 said:

my top rig is a core i7 4930k @ 4.2 GHZ with a SLI gtx 970 configuration on an Asus sabertooth x79 motherboard, i proudly still rock Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on it and don't plan to go to 10 anytime soon due to the range of game compatibility i manage to have on this platform. I personally would not ever go past a GTX 1080 on this rig , i feel my cpu still has plenty of grunt in it but a 1080ti would not be completely utilized by this setup , plus i run the rig on a 4k 60hz television so 60 is my limit . If i knew your brothers exact cpu i could make a logical analysis on what i think would be a good max pairing

if u click on cpu hyper link it will show u the one he has plus the motherboard hyper link as well

Arch2k

2 hours ago, The Strange said:

Well, I don't have much experience about this but you can check this link:

http://thebottlenecker.com/#calculator

You can check the compatibility of CPU and GPU, i tested it myself, there will be 11% bottleneck.

yea i can see that 11% umm dang makes me think i mean thats not much
then checked the K cpu which says 10%
i guess no matter how u look at it its still pretty bad

Arch2k

2 hours ago, Matt087 said:

do u think its just better off going with the 970? thats if i can find one right lol

Arch2k

2 hours ago, Arch2k said:

yea i can see that 11% umm dang makes me think i mean thats not much
then checked the K cpu which says 10%
i guess no matter how u look at it its still pretty bad

Based on that site's estimation: anything above 10% is considered as a bottleneck, but actually any estimation you will get, is considered as a bottleneck too.

Simply at all cases you will get a bottleneck, you just need to reduce that percentage as possible as you can to get the optimal performance and utilize from the full power of both CPU and GPU, but DON'T go with lower GPUs even it will give you less bottleneck as the performance will be bad but this time due to the lower GPU.

Anyways i think its still good to go with GTX 1060 3GB, I recommend you to go watch some videos and benchmarks about games you like more and see how it will perform on that CPU and GPU. According to some videos i watched. i think it will be good :) 

BTW also the 6GB version will do the same bottleneck percentage but 6GB is more powerful GPU.

The CPU should be fine with that graphics card at 1080P if you're going to use it for games. 

I have a client who's still on a Sandy Bridge 2400 and he just upgraded to a GTX1080 last year, it's running fine.

Of course, you would get slightly better performance with a higher end CPU, but the i5 shouldn't cause any problems or frame drops/spikes.

5 hours ago, AvoK95 said:

The CPU should be fine with that graphics card at 1080P if you're going to use it for games. 

I have a client who's still on a Sandy Bridge 2400 and he just upgraded to a GTX1080 last year, it's running fine.

Of course, you would get slightly better performance with a higher end CPU, but the i5 shouldn't cause any problems or frame drops/spikes.

now what it comes to that would u think the cpu/MB would use the some of the GB from the gpu when it comes to specs since its a new model 

and i am sure there will be some kind of down side via computer not using the gpu full specs

Arch2k

14 hours ago, Arch2k said:

ive read that the 1060 would be the highest that computer can go since its older

yeah i would agree with that...for 1080p gaming it will perform well, spending more for a more powerful GPU would be wasting money.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I once ran a i7 970 with a Rx480 and could feel the CPU Bottlenecking the whole system. For this combination i5 3570 + GTX1060 3G you should not run into any bottlenecking issues. Just keep in mind that if you are upgrading your graphics card later on you might run into a CPU Bottleneck, in this case you'd have to upgrade the CPU.

Maybe consider going for an AMD CPU like the new Ryzen 5 2600, which is in the same price range or even for the Ryzen 5 1600 which is a bit cheaper. 

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07B41WS48

This would at least keep you updated for the coming years and will perform pretty good with the GTX 1060. Just give it a thought ;)

-Wolf

problem here is my brother says he desont have the money or better word to put it doesnt want to spend money for new pc which is the stressing part

Arch2k