Windows 10 Installation

Taheru
Go to solution Solved by Speed Weed,

Right click on the old system reserved partition and select Copy Partition.

copy-partition.png

Select Copy Partition Quickly and click Next. You can also select the option Sector by Sector Copy. 

copy-method.png

Select unallocated space on the SSD as the destination location to receive the system reserved partition. If there is no unallocated space, you can shrink a partition by clicking Resize Partition.

select-location.png

The next screen, you can adjust the size of new system reserved partition and other parameters. Set the drive letter to None.

resize-partition.png

Click Apply to apply these changes.

apply-changes.png

After this, shut down your computer and disconnect the D drive then try to boot it up.

So its my second post of the day and im sorry bout that 

So i recently installed Windows 10 in my newly built PC but bli accidentally picked the USB option instead of the UEFI option and now i cant pick the SSD to boot up the computer (it always shows that there are no program found or something like that) I am just wondering if theres a way to reverse this or if its okay to leave it as it is.  

please and thank you

EDIT : I installed the windows 10 to the SSD

Nope it boots up using the HDD (checked the boot options) and when i do change the boot settings to the SSD it shows that theres no program found or something like that

1 minute ago, Taheru said:

Nope it boots up using the HDD (checked the boot options) and when i do change the boot settings to the SSD it shows that theres no program found or something like that

Can you show us the disk management? 

18 minutes ago, Taheru said:

@Balltimor Not yet but im about to give it a try

I see what is going on right now. Your system is in LEGACY and not in UEFI. Your system reserved partition supposed to be in C drive and not D drive. Download Aomei Partition Master free from here ( https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html) to move the system reserved partition from D drive to C drive. 

@DaPhuc First of all i would like to say i love your name and i will try that as soon as i got home will reply to this thread with the result or at least anything

@DaPhuc So whenever i try to use Migrate OS to SSD it doesnt show anything when it says Select disk space Ill try finding new ones and see if it works

3 hours ago, Taheru said:

@DaPhuc First of all i would like to say i love your name and i will try that as soon as i got home will reply to this thread with the result or at least anything

You don't need to migrate anything. You just need to download and run the AOMEI Partition Master so you can move the System Reserved partition from D drive to C drive which can be done very quick. The problem why your PC cannot boot with C drive only because it is missing the System Reserved partition. 

9 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

You don't need to migrate anything. You just need to download and run the AOMEI Partition Master so you can move the System Reserved partition from D drive to C drive which can be done very quick. The problem why your PC cannot boot with C drive only because it is missing the System Reserved partition. 

I cant move the System Reserved Partition from D drive to C drive without either copying it (making a new partition which i did but it did not have the exact same space used so i thought it isnt right)

5 minutes ago, Taheru said:

I cant move the System Reserved Partition from D drive to C drive without either copying it (making a new partition which i did but it did not have the exact same space used so i thought it isnt right)

Try to make 600MB - 700MB unallocated space so you can move it.  I did this once and it worked for me no problem. 

2 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

Try to make 600MB - 700MB allocated space so you can move it.  I did this once and it worked for me no problem. 

So i splitted away 600MB allocated from the SSD. How can i move it to the SSD since i can only move it inside the disk? Do i copy it? or something else really sorry about this i dont know what im doing ._.

Just now, Taheru said:

So i splitted away 600MB allocated from the SSD. How can i move it to the SSD since i can only move it inside the disk? Do i copy it? or something else really sorry about this i dont know what im doing ._.

Follow these steps.

Step1. Choose the partition you want to move (take G partition as an example, and you can see a 33GB’s unallocated space located after G partition), right click it and then click “Move Partition

step-1.gif

Step2. Put the mouse on the selected partition and drag it rightward when the mouse become a cross crux. Then hit OK to continue after you drag partition G to the very right end.
step-2.jpg
Step3. As you can see from the following screenshot, the partition G has been moved to the right side of the unallocated space. And meanwhile, the 33GB’s unallocated space has been moved directly after F partition. To save the changes, just click Apply on the toolbar.
step-3.gif

@DaPhuc I can only move the partitions inside the disk and i cant move it into another disk.

I am prolly looking at this in a very wrong way i think

21 minutes ago, Taheru said:

@DaPhuc I can only move the partitions inside the disk and i cant move it into another disk.

Let's try to copy the partition and paste it into your C drive. This method should work. 

Right click on the old system reserved partition and select Copy Partition.

copy-partition.png

Select Copy Partition Quickly and click Next. You can also select the option Sector by Sector Copy. 

copy-method.png

Select unallocated space on the SSD as the destination location to receive the system reserved partition. If there is no unallocated space, you can shrink a partition by clicking Resize Partition.

select-location.png

The next screen, you can adjust the size of new system reserved partition and other parameters. Set the drive letter to None.

resize-partition.png

Click Apply to apply these changes.

apply-changes.png

After this, shut down your computer and disconnect the D drive then try to boot it up.

@DaPhuc Did not work i tried doing a windows repair but choosing USB instead of the UEFI really messed things up. Im trying to download a new windows 10 installer because the one i used earlier to install windows does not work anymore (i dont know why) and now whenever i try to download a windows 10 installer it gives me an error. 

Also do you think maybe formatting the HDD and SSD would fix things? I dont know what to do anymore and just really tired been trying to find a fix all day.

@DaPhuc It works now ! I did not set the cloned System Patrition as active so im guessing thats why its not working but i dont know what to do with the other system patrition (the one located at the HDD) also for the downloads, program files (x86), etc. do i just leave them in the SSD 

6 hours ago, Taheru said:

@DaPhuc It works now ! I did not set the cloned System Patrition as active so im guessing thats why its not working but i dont know what to do with the other system patrition (the one located at the HDD) also for the downloads, program files (x86), etc. do i just leave them in the SSD 

You can delete the old system reserved partition on your HDD. You can also change legacy Windows to UEFI Windows without data loss, but I will not guarantee that you will not experience data loss from doing this. 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/81502-convert-windows-10-legacy-bios-uefi-without-data-loss.html

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/free-convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss.html

1. Open Command Prompt with administrator privileges
  2. Issue the following command: mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS
  3. Shut down and boot into your BIOS
  4. Change your settings to UEFI mode

Alternatively, you may run this command from within the recovery environment:

1. Boot to the Windows* Recovery Environment and start the Command Prompt console.
    • Press the Windows key and I key simultaneously to open Settings
    • Select Update & Security
    • Recovery
    • Select Restart now under Advanced startup
    • Troubleshoot
    • Advanced Options
    • Command Prompt
    • It may prompt you to select a user account and type in a password
  2. Issue convert command: mbr2gpt.exe /convert
  3. Restart your computer and boot into your UEFI BIOS
  4. Change BIOS setting from Legacy to UEFI mode

@DaPhuc I have 3 settings here with the CSM Launch PXE OpROM Policy, Launvh Storage OpROM Policy and Other PCI Device ROM Policy (default as UEFI Only). Do I set the CSM as enabled or disabled also for both policies do i set them both as UEFI Mode or just the Storage? I tried checking the manual for the MB but it doesnt really give me that good of an explanation

Edit : So i found out that i just need to disable to CSM but doing the mbr2gpt.exe/convert/allowfullOS is not working ._.

1 hour ago, Taheru said:

@DaPhuc I have 3 settings here with the CSM Launch PXE OpROM Policy, Launvh Storage OpROM Policy and Other PCI Device ROM Policy (default as UEFI Only). Do I set the CSM as enabled or disabled also for both policies do i set them both as UEFI Mode or just the Storage? I tried checking the manual for the MB but it doesnt really give me that good of an explanation

Edit : So i found out that i just need to disable to CSM but doing the mbr2gpt.exe/convert/allowfullOS is not working ._.

What is your motherboard?