Keyboard stopping laptop from powering on

Dudefoxlive

Hi, i was given a laptop that was at a dump for free after the people who found it no longer want to repair it due to liquid damage. well i got it and it would not work. first instinct is to strip hardware down to min.  did that and still nothing. started to take it apart and powered it on without the keyboard connected and it worked. i was able to determine that the keyboard is stopping the laptop from powering on.  Now here is the thing.  I want to fix this laptop as it is kinda a nice laptop (back in 2013 was close to highend i think) but i need to know is it the motherboard or keyboard at fault? i would hate for it to be the motherboard as i dont want to have to use a USB keyboard all the time but if it comes down to it i will. I know someone who had a laptop most likely with the same keyboard that i would want to test but sadly someone took that laptop and i cant test it.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd guess the keyboard's at fault if the laptop can power on save for the keyboard being attached.

Look for a replacement keyboard for either that model or another model in the same range.

that would be my first guess as well. keyboards for laptops are cheap usually so i think it will be worth it if it gets this laptop working completely. Now all i have to do is take it apart and clean alot of the dirt that i believe is on the board.i would have to have the board as the problem.

Liquid damage is tricky, as unless you clean out all the corrosion it can carry on damaging the motherboard and components even after its seemingly dried.  The more you use it before doing that, the more likely some other part will fail.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Liquid damage is tricky, as unless you clean out all the corrosion it can carry on damaging the motherboard and components even after its seemingly dried.  The more you use it before doing that, the more likely some other part will fail.

im fully aware of this.  i dont plan to put alot of money into it. i got the laptop for free but i would like to get some use out of it.  either as a laptop for school or as just a laptop to screw around with.  i have a latitude E6520 but the panel on it started dieing. i was using that for school but with the panel the way it is the laptop is not usable. i plan to possibly fix it. either way i might consider getting a keyboard. also i forgot to mention the model of laptop is HP ENVY dv6-7229wm.  its from 2013 but the CPU is kinda better than what is on my current laptop.

Ah okay, as you didn't mention cleaning it out first I wasn't sure if you had or not and obviously its step 1 as no telling what else might fail while you are doing that.

With any luck the liquid only damaged the keyboard.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ah okay, as you didn't mention cleaning it out first I wasn't sure if you had or not and obviously its step 1 as no telling what else might fail while you are doing that.

With any luck the liquid only damaged the keyboard.

Yes i plan to take it apart to fully clean it with  alcohol. the computer works apart from the keyboard but im hoping i can purchase a replacement online and use the machine.