I'm a freelance video editor and I'm planning my high end editing build and I've done a fair bit of research but I feel like I need a sanity check.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/iEditVideo/saved/HKcbXL

My budget is £4000 and I'm looking to get high performance with 4K raw editing with capability to work with higher resolutions (RAM upgrade might be necessary).

I'm waiting for the Threadripper 2950x at the end of the month and the RTX 2080 Ti when its available to ensure I'm future proofing as much as possible. I've put a 1950x and high price 1080ti in the build as placeholders. I'm planning to reuse some drives from my current build, 2 x 256gb SATA SSD in raid and a 480gb SATA SSD. Storage is going to be key and I want it to be as flexible as possible, the 4x 4TB drives will be in RAID 5 in a USB 3.1 gen 2 external enclosure so that I can access through other machines if needed. The 2x 1TB SSDs will be in RAID 0 as my main editing drive with hourly backups to the external RAID. I'm probably going to build an Unraid server in the future connected with 10Gbps ethernet and I've chosen a motherboard with it included as the price difference between one with and without seems to be less than buying a separate card, is this a good idea?

If you can think of anything I've missed please let me know and suggestions are always welcome.

Edit: Currently using 2 Dell 24 inch 1080p colour accurate monitors, Corsair K95 RGB (MACRO KEYS!!!!) and a Corsair Scimitar (MORE MACRO KEYS!!!!). I'm probably going to invest in a large 4K monitor in the next year or so.

Edited by Bakedpanda
added stuff

64 gb ram 

the system that you have though looks really safe, you want something like this right?

I'm going for 4x8gb so I have an easy upgrade path to 64GB RAM. I cant fit it in the budget at the moment.

As for the NAS, I'm probably going to rebuild my old system with a raid card and 10gbe so I have more budget for drives.

16 minutes ago, Bakedpanda said:

2 x 256gb SATA SSD in raid and a 480gb SATA SSD

Makes no sense.

Get a good PCIe NVMe SSD for the Source and Target, no need for Kamikaze-Array 0 as there are better solutions available for you that make more sense.

The RAID5 makes sense and is useful as Dump.

But don't forget the Backup!

RAID is not an alternative to a BAckup, it is a solution that mitigates Drive Failures!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

2 x 256gb SATA SSD in raid and a 480gb SATA SSD

he his taking them from is old pc even tho they are not ideal is always storage

Yes and  are limited by the SATA Interface.

A Samsung 970 EVO isn't that expensive and can write 2,3GB/sec.

And since he's already tinkering, it makes sense to mention those.

He can keep the 480GB SSD for OS and Applications -> Boot Drive. But for the Work Drives one or two NVMe Drives makes more sense than to recycle the old drives.

AS for Memory: I'd rather go with 2x 16GiB. That reduces the performance but you can upgrade to more RAM more easily.

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Makes no sense.

Get a good PCIe NVMe SSD for the Source and Target, no need for Kamikaze-Array 0 as there are better solutions available for you that make more sense.

The RAID5 makes sense and is useful as Dump.

But don't forget the Backup!

RAID is not an alternative to a BAckup, it is a solution that mitigates Drive Failures!

I dont have the budget for NVMe drives other than a 500GB boot drive. It's an upgrade option for the future as I've picked a motherboard with 3 M.2 slots

11 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

What program are you using the video editing?

Premiere Pro, After Effects and some grading in Resolve

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes and  are limited by the SATA Interface.

A Samsung 970 EVO isn't that expensive and can write 2,3GB/sec.

And since he's already tinkering, it makes sense to mention those.

He can keep the 480GB SSD for OS and Applications -> Boot Drive. But for the Work Drives one or two NVMe Drives makes more sense than to recycle the old drives.

AS for Memory: I'd rather go with 2x 16GiB. That reduces the performance but you can upgrade to more RAM more easily.

The motherboard has 8 RAM slots so I was thinking it would be best to get the quad channel performance with room to upgrade to 64gb

Just now, Bakedpanda said:

Premiere Pro, After Effects and some grading in Resolve

Do not use any AMD Cpu's in Adobe products. Adobe has not really given them much support so there are still tons of issues with them in use. Yay for intel giving them the money rather then them be neutral and support both and a high level.

The 9900k May be a great value with the Quick sync. It competes and easily beats most HEDT chips with rendering. Srubbing and such you may just want to get the 14-18 core chip but i can see why youd want to get almost double the cores for the same price.

The motherboard has 8 RAM slots so I was thinking it would be best to get the quad channel performance with room to upgrade to 64gb

Depends on how long you have to wait for the other two sticks.

If its a month or two, I'd go with 2 and another two when you have the money.

As you do Video Editing, I'd assume that more RAM is more better for you.

Just now, Shimejii said:

Do not use any AMD Cpu's in Adobe products. Adobe has not really given them much support so there are still tons of issues with them in use. Yay for intel giving them the money rather then them be neutral and support both and a high level.

The 9900k May be a great value with the Quick sync. It competes and easily beats most HEDT chips with rendering. Srubbing and such you may just want to get the 14-18 core chip but i can see why youd want to get almost double the cores for the same price.

I cant afford the Intel pricing. I've been looking at the performance for Premiere Pro in benchmarks and it out performs the 7900x at a similar price. Also, using Threadripper means I wouldnt be limited on PCIe lanes if I needed to add in a RED Rocket card or another GPU in the future. Also, it seems that when you populate all M.2 slots on Intel boards, it turns off some SATA ports which would be very infuriating.

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Depends on how long you have to wait for the other two sticks.

If its a month or two, I'd go with 2 and another two when you have the money.

As you do Video Editing, I'd assume that more RAM is more better for you.

I'm probably not going to upgrade RAM for at least a year. I'll just keep an eye on my usage and my wallet and see when I can justify it.

I cant afford the Intel pricing. I've been looking at the performance for Premiere Pro in benchmarks and it out performs the 7900x at a similar price. Also, using Threadripper means I wouldnt be limited on PCIe lanes if I needed to add in a RED Rocket card or another GPU in the future. Also, it seems that when you populate all M.2 slots on Intel boards, it turns off some SATA ports which would be very infuriating.

Im not exactly sure where you are going to be need that, but dont forget you will have 40 PCIE lanes at least with x299 and it gets higher with the better cpus. But just know that you may have a lot of bugs, crashes, and issues with ryzen products with adobe, and adobe will not fix them for a long time :( because its adobe. 

Its why i also reccomended the 9900k, because the Igpu and quick sync such make it compete with the better cpus, but otherwise youll be stuck with it

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Im not exactly sure where you are going to be need that, but dont forget you will have 40 PCIE lanes at least with x299 and it gets higher with the better cpus. But just know that you may have a lot of bugs, crashes, and issues with ryzen products with adobe, and adobe will not fix them for a long time :( because its adobe. 

Its why i also reccomended the 9900k, because the Igpu and quick sync such make it compete with the better cpus, but otherwise youll be stuck with it

Ah ok, I hadn't really looked at the 9900K spec leaks. I do like that Intel are upping the lane count on 'prosumer' products. I cant really wait around until an October release though, I've got a few big jobs coming up and my current system wont cope with them.

It would be nice to stick to Intel as their single core performance would be great when I take a gaming break.

Hey I'm literally in the same boat as you right now and looking to build a editing rig with maybe some casual gaming in the evenings.  I thought this article from Puget Systems may be of interest as it helped me justify AMD (especially the 2950X when it comes out Friday week) CPU's given the second gen base clock and turbo clock increases.  

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i9-7940X-7960X-7980XE-1034/

While it may not be the greatest optimisation, its definitely better than you may think and can only continue to get better in the future... If you decide on a final parts list let me know because I am still interested.  

7 hours ago, 16thompn said:

Hey I'm literally in the same boat as you right now and looking to build a editing rig with maybe some casual gaming in the evenings.  I thought this article from Puget Systems may be of interest as it helped me justify AMD (especially the 2950X when it comes out Friday week) CPU's given the second gen base clock and turbo clock increases.  

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i9-7940X-7960X-7980XE-1034/

While it may not be the greatest optimisation, its definitely better than you may think and can only continue to get better in the future... If you decide on a final parts list let me know because I am still interested.  

I really like Puget Systems benchmarks, they're incredibly helpful.

I think I'm pretty much set on my parts until the 2080ti and 2950x are available, I may see if I can scrape together some extra cash to get 64gb RAM from the start but I dont think it'll be too necessary.

16 hours ago, Bakedpanda said:

I really like Puget Systems benchmarks, they're incredibly helpful.

I think I'm pretty much set on my parts until the 2080ti and 2950x are available, I may see if I can scrape together some extra cash to get 64gb RAM from the start but I dont think it'll be too necessary.

Well with those 2080Ti prices I'm just gonna hold back and maybe pick up a 1080 and upgrade next generation to save myself from any teething problems...  It'd blow my budget way out of the water...