what's the best solution to add more direct ethernet ports to my network?

Hi,

Currently upgrading my home network. But not sure what would be my best solution for my needs. e.g router or switch.

My current setup is a modem with 4 ethernet ports and wifi 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Also I require a wifi extender because of dead zones in my house.

I want to add more direct connections via cat6 to improve my speeds on my devices Smart TV, Nvidia shield, Printer, etc.

So what would be the best solution?

Cheers

Just now, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

Currently upgrading my home network. But not sure what would be my best solution for my needs. e.g router or switch.

I want to add more direct connections via cat6 to improve my speeds on my devices Smart TV, Nvidia shield, Printer, etc.

So what would be solution?

Cheers

If you had $200 to piss away then do the same as the pimp my wifi video linus did a while back. cat 6 is 10 gigabit. You know how much a 10 gigabit switch costs right?

5 minutes ago, H20Burner said:

If you had $200 to piss away then do the same as the pimp my wifi video linus did a while back. cat 6 is 10 gigabit. You know how much a 10 gigabit switch costs right?

CAT6 can do 1Gbps at 100 meters, or 55 meters at 10G. Cat6 is still the most common cable installed today.

1 minute ago, skippytheturtle said:

CAT6 can do 1Gbps at 100 meters, or 55 meters at 10G. Cat6 is still the most common cable installed today.

I'm getting old..... I thought cat 5e was still the standard.

You seem to be limited by the number of Ethernet ports on your modem /"router". Adding a switch would give you more Ethernet ports for wired devices. It also may be a good idea to add an access point to help with the WiFi dead zones.

Are you currently using a wifi extender or a powerline + extender combo unit?

Internet > Modem/"Router" > switch >all wired devices + maybe an access point.

49 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

Cheers

Your modem has a router built in. Adding another router will make it more of a pain in the dick. You need a switch, one that supports at least 1Gbps, as I assume your talking CAT6 cables and not CAT6a cables. Besides that you just hook the cables to the switch. one of the ports of the switch connects to one of the routers lan ports. Then all is good. 

Ive heard Netgear has some good switches, Id start there. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

Cheers

Depends on your internet speed. If it is not something like google fiber, you should be fine by saving some money and getting a budget N or AC router, flash dd-wrt on it and set it up as a repeater at those locations where you need wired internet (if it is not a wifi dead spot).

Buying another router to act as a switch does not mean it will go through another NAT, you can simply turn off a bunch of settings and all masking including DHCP will be forwarded to the main router yiu already got. This is how I got my network set up and it works like a charm with printers, other routers connected to routers etc.

Just remember if you wanna use a single wifi chip cheap router as a wifi repeater and wifi extender in the same time, since it will use one wifi chip to do all that, your bandwidth will be cut at least in half.

Unless you wanna future proof your network for some fiber speed connections, in which case you can not avoid using direct cables towards other rooms with bit more pricy routers/switches.

18 hours ago, skippytheturtle said:

You seem to be limited by the number of Ethernet ports on your modem /"router". Adding a switch would give you more Ethernet ports for wired devices. It also may be a good idea to add an access point to help with the WiFi dead zones.

Are you currently using a wifi extender or a powerline + extender combo unit?

Internet > Modem/"Router" > switch >all wired devices + maybe an access point.

internet modem with wifi ----> one netgear wifi extender

21 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Your modem has a router built in. Adding another router will make it more of a pain in the dick. You need a switch, one that supports at least 1Gbps, as I assume your talking CAT6 cables and not CAT6a cables. Besides that you just hook the cables to the switch. one of the ports of the switch connects to one of the routers lan ports. Then all is good. 

Ive heard Netgear has some good switches, Id start there. 

Using a router as a WiFi extender (with a cable linking it to the main network) is far from a "pain in the dick", so long as you can turn off the DHCP server, it works just as well or better than a WiFi repeater (as they often has tiny antennas compared to a routers big fan high gain ones).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

37 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Using a router as a WiFi extender (with a cable linking it to the main network) is far from a "pain in the dick", so long as you can turn off the DHCP server, it works just as well or better than a WiFi repeater (as they often has tiny antennas compared to a routers big fan high gain ones).

It is a pain in the dick when you have to do the config manually. Not every router has an AP option. Not every one has the networking knowledge. When I deal out advice, I do it as Im talking to some one who has no knowledge.

I take the opposite approach, give people the knowledge and if they come back with "that sounds too complicated" then offer the simplest solution.  Because typically the simplest solution is the one that will cause the biggest long-term "pains in the dick" because manufacturers know they can overcharge people who do not know any better.

In my experience, in the same price range a router will work FAR better as an access point than a branded WiFi repeater.

I mean ideally something like an Ubiquiti Unifi is better than a consumer AP, but then you'd need a Switch to go with that to satisfy everything - easier to use a router if you need both.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I take the opposite approach, give people the knowledge and if they come back with "that sounds too complicated" then offer the simplest solution.  Because typically the simplest solution is the one that will cause the biggest long-term "pains in the dick" because manufacturers know they can overcharge people who do not know any better.

In my experience, in the same price range a router will work FAR better as an access point than a branded WiFi repeater.

I mean ideally something like an Ubiquiti Unifi is better than a consumer AP, but then you'd need a Switch to go with that to satisfy everything - easier to use a router if you need both.

Did I say use a use a repeater? NO. I suggested a switch which is what the OP needs. If the OP was asking for WiFi advice then I would have presented all the options, with the pros and cons. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Did I say use a use a repeater? NO. I suggested a switch which is what the OP needs. If the OP was asking for WiFi advice then I would have presented all the options, with the pros and cons. 

They said they want more physical ports AND a WiFi extender, I was merely offering a suggestion that could offer both in one unit.

Of course they weren't specific if it would be useful to have both in the same location or exactly how many ports they need.  I figured they would give more details or ask more questions if it wasn't a good fit.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

They said they want more physical ports AND a WiFi extender, I was merely offering a suggestion that could offer both in one unit.

Of course they weren't specific if it would be useful to have both in the same location, I figured if it wasn't they would give more details.

I would have suggested a switch with 8 or so ports for expandability  and a Ubiquiti AP. As Im going to figure they would want an AP near the zone that has no WiFI. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

I would have suggested a switch with 8 or so ports for expandability  and a Ubiquiti AP. As Im going to figure they would want an AP near the zone that has no WiFI. 

Agreed that is optimal, but unless they give us more specifics we simply don't know.

Config wise, it would be easy to set up any combination you desire. If you have a router or planning on buying another one, take a look at "dd-wrt" which is a free open source 3rd party firmware which supports most routers and once installed it unleashes your router turning it from a 20 bucks cheap limited router into a 200 dollars almost unlited feature router. I personally have dd wrt on all my routers. Taking a look at that would be worth it.