Driver power state failure

Shade72
Go to solution Solved by 0x1e,

It must be hardware if it persists after a format.

Have you tried turning off "Fast Start-up"? within Windows' power options?

Hello

My 1 year old rig has now started getting BSOD with the stop-code: "Driver_Power_State_Failure" almost everytime it boots up for the first time of the day. This only happens when the PC has been shutdown for a while. I can tell if I'm gonna get the BSOD by checking if Steam and the Battle.net launcher is starting up. If none of those programs start, I can do a quick restart before the BSOD and everything will be fine otherwise I will get the BSOD withing a minute or 2 and the reboot and everything will be fine. 

I have tried all recommended solutions that I could find by googel'ing it. 
1. Checked my power settings.
2. Checked for bad drivers.
3. All my drivers are updated. 

System:
Intel i7 7700k (not overclocked)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti
Gigabyte Z170-Gaming-K3
750W PSU Corsair
HyperX Fury DDR4 2400MHz 16GB
Windows 10, 64 bit
OS is on Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD

Hope anyone is able to give me some clue to what has happened to my system.

Do you know specifically WHEN it started these BSODs? IF you can figure that out, did you install or upgrade something about that time? This issue is almost always driver related. Drivers being updated is not the same thing as drivers installed correctly. If you know what drivers caused the issue, uninstall or remove them and install them over again, preferably from an original driver source... 

1 hour ago, RickH said:

Do you know specifically WHEN it started these BSODs? IF you can figure that out, did you install or upgrade something about that time? This issue is almost always driver related. Drivers being updated is not the same thing as drivers installed correctly. If you know what drivers caused the issue, uninstall or remove them and install them over again, preferably from an original driver source... 

Okey, just did a clean install of my graphic driver since that is the only one I update regularly. We will just have to see over the next couple of days if that fixed it, if not I probably have to reformat the entire PC. 

So I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and erased everything on all my drives. And still the first day after I do this I get the BSOD with the same stop-code. So then it must be hardware problem, right? 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a Xbox 360 wireless receiver? I am having the same exact issue and it goes away when I unplug the receiver. Not sure how to fix it but started occuring a month ago and persist even after a clean install.

No, but I do have a Nvidia Shield controller connected to my PC, gonna test over the next few days if it helped unplugging it when the PC boots. :) 

It's a tough one, think you just have to keep messing with drivers and reinstall drivers until the issue goes away. I'd suggest something like CC Cleaner or Malwarebytes as a precaution but I don't know how much it'll help.

It must be hardware if it persists after a format.

Have you tried turning off "Fast Start-up"? within Windows' power options?

It's not a race to the bottom.

So far it seems like turning off "Fast Start-up" fixed the issue :) And it didn't even make a difference in boot up time :) 

Interesting, it must have been booting up before certain drivers could initialize properly, glad you got it fixed.

Hmm, so turning off fast start up fixed it on a cold boot as well but the the issue still exists if coming out of sleep. Any ideas?

Hmm, so fast start up fixed it on a cold boot as well but the the issue still exists if coming out of sleep. Any ideas? Do you mind listing any USB devices you have are using to see if there is something we both are using?

• 4 months later...

for anyone experiencing this that uses the nvidia sheild controller....

this is a issue with the nvidia sheild controller driver...nvidia has not gotten to a fix for it.

turning off fast boot as suggested works as a workaround fix but not if you allow your computer to sleep. 

you can also try connecting your shield controller to a phone charger instead of a computer connected usb.

the only other thing you can do is wake your controller up BEFORE starting your pc, if the computer starts and your controller is awake (press any button and wait 3 secs) the bsod wont trigger.

on invidia forums with some digging you can find a lot of information about this crash, it has something to do with the computer trying to power on the controller with a signal and getting no reply from the controller because of the way nvidia puts it to sleep.